• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split Toe Derby

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find these shoes so unattractive. Funny design, but don't like the look. The example you posted looks better than what I've seen before though. I'll admit that!

"Unattractive" is sometimes part of the point.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dovers and Denim
20220110_133144.jpg

Sutefan

Reaction score

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get a StD to match a "slacks and sports coat" for my eventual return to the office. I was considering the TLB Artista but was wondering whether it is substantially different than the brown Ardmore Split-Toe Single Monk shoes I already have? Are there better options in the same price range? Should I be thinking of burgundy or suede instead? Will this be versatile enough that I can even wear it casually (e.g., jeans)?

135-VELAZQUEZ-VEGANO-MARRON-PAIR-SIDE_L.jpg

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get a StD to match a "slacks and sports coat" for my eventual return to the office. I was considering the TLB Artista but was wondering whether it is substantially different than the brown Ardmore Split-Toe Single Monk shoes I already have? Are there better options in the same price range? Should I be thinking of burgundy or suede instead? Will this be versatile enough that I can even wear it casually (e.g., jeans)?

View attachment 1735868
Have you considered Scotchgrain?

10323DD2-D725-4894-B7F0-334AE5A74389.jpeg 91456C21-0747-450A-BA36-713D9BB19E3C.jpeg
I think it’s great in a multitude of colors if you intend to wear them with jeans etc.

konstantis

Reaction score
My new norwegers form Vass arrived yesterday. I am really happy with them, once I open the box I remembered why I enjoy shoes and love this rabbit hole.

I am glad that some of my money has gone to Vass during these horrible C-19 years. I hope the shoemaking craft we all praise and love will survive when we return to normality.

Model: Norweger
Colour: Antique cognac scotchgrain
Welt: 270
Sole: Vibram Commando
Last: P

The last picture shows my little Vass parade, suede, scotchgrain, calf and calf for backup.

IMG_6278.JPG

IMG_6279.JPG

IMG_6280.JPG

IMG_6282.JPG

IMG_6274.JPG

IMG_6277.JPG
Hi. May I ask how do you find the norwegers form Vass with commando soles ? Are they much more chunky than the ones with leather soles ? Thanks.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1735868

I think a StD in dark brown suede or grain would be most versatile and complement the smooth leather monks you already own.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1735868
I think a StD in dark brown suede or grain would be most versatile and complement the smooth leather monks you already own.

I would agree with @norMD here. A Polo or Darker (not black or dark chocolate) -- preference towards Mink -- sueded SpTD or a softer textured grain (think Utah leather) would be excellent versatile choices. Either would look different enough from those monks as well.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

View attachment 1735868

Unfortunately don't know much about TLB, but those shoes you referenced look nice.

I like rounder, more casual lasts with jeans. For instance, in order of appearance: Crockett & Jones Cornhill, Crockett & Jones Durham, and Paraboot Avignon. A lot of the other split-toe models feel too dressy to me with denim.

tumblr_inline_owx70eoI6p1qfex1b_540.jpeg
Durham8717RS-94B2_26703fb7-2033-480c-ba11-7cc9806df1d0_1200x1200.jpeg
paraboot--Avignon-Griff-Ii-Noire-Lis-Cafe (1).jpeg

Since I don't know much about TLB, I can't really say how they compare to your Yoessals. However, here are some options around the price point you mentioned, along with some below for sake of inclusion.

tumblr_inline_owx7lhaG5L1qfex1b_540.jpeg

Meermin (about $200): A lot of split toes on the more affordable end of the market look ugly to me, such as Allen Edmonds' Delray. They have a flat, machine-sewn apron that I think makes the shoes look cheap. But given the price point, it's what you can often expect at this price tier.

IMO, Meermin's apron is a little better looking. Most of them are made on the Hiro last, which I think works with jeans or tailored trousers. Many Meermins can feel stiff at first, so expect a longer than usual break-in period.

tumblr_inline_owx81dOt9F1qfex1b_540.jpeg
tumblr_inline_owx8pmjcU11qfex1b_540.jpeg

Alden ($500-ish, or $300 through Shoe Mart's Factory Seconds): The trad options. They have two versions, including a U-tip and a pointier V-tip. I also think this works with jeans and tailored trousers but the style is very trad. You kind of have to love the sack coat, Ivy casual thing to wear these.

tumblr_inline_owx70eoI6p1qfex1b_540.jpeg

Crockett & Jones ($550 ish): Lots of options, including the Cornhill, Durham, Hardwick, Balfour, and Wexford. In the past, Ben Silver carried the Cornhill and Durham. Cornhill is part of the handgrade line, so it features a handsewn apron and a channeled sole. I have the Cornhill and think it works with denim, although the Durham is more casual still because it's rounder.

tumblr_inline_owx7ilYVu01qfex1b_540.jpeg
tumblr_inline_owx7vd3x1T1qfex1b_540.jpeg

Enzo Bonafe ($550 ish): Handwelted construction, handsewn aprons, and the ability to customize the design in almost any way you want. I particularly like the reverse split-toe construction shown on the second pair above, where the toe seam is hidden underneath the surface. Just gives the shoes a more discrete look.

These get into a sleeker last that I think works better with tailored clothing, not casualwear or jeans.

tumblr_inline_owx6s0YdPf1qfex1b_540.jpeg
tumblr_inline_owx7tf34uV1qfex1b_540.jpeg

Vass ($750 ish): Just above your budget, but maybe worth including. Their Norweger really gets at the split-toes utilitarian roots (this style used to be a work shoe). Unlike most of the options above, these will be handwelted.

If you like that design, there’s also Crockett & Jones’ Moreton ($700). It differs from Vass in that it’s Goodyear welted, features a slightly cleaner looking apron, and has some decorative stitching around the heel. It’s only available in Japan, however.

Note, my prices may be off, as I haven't shopped for these in a while. But the prices are what I remember from about five years ago.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1736687 View attachment 1736689

Vass ($750 ish): Just above your budget, but maybe worth including. Their Norweger really gets at the split-toes utilitarian roots (this style used to be a work shoe). Unlike most of the options above, these will be handwelted.

If you like that design, there’s also Crockett & Jones’ Moreton ($700). It differs from Vass in that it’s Goodyear welted, features a slightly cleaner looking apron, and has some decorative stitching around the heel. It’s only available in Japan, however.

Note, my prices may be off, as I haven't shopped for these in a while. But the prices are what I remember from about five years ago.
Good list overall - an addendum - Vass started selling direct a couple years back. Should be about $550 or so including shipping and trees now.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for paraboot avigon is better for casual but as "all purpose" I prefer rousseau

kg13

Reaction score
Hi DWW! Super cool list. What do you think about the Golf Derby? I think it feels pretty similar to the Norweger (but cuter) haha

And how would you wear shell split toes in a round casual last?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads