• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split Toe Derby

Viatu

Reaction score

Attachments

• 20211129_170704.jpg
    20211129_170704.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 157

kg13

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am very pleased to share my first (and surely not my last) commission from An Hy shoes out of Vietnam. I ordered a split toe derby, Dover style based on their in-house pattern with double leather sole, blind welt (inside and outside), and Dark Brown Utah calf.

All their shoes are hand lasted, hand welted, and have hand stitched outsoles. Prices start from 711 USD for made to order and 800 USD for made-to-measure (MTM).

This is a MTM shoe on my personal, classic round last. Toe shapes they offer include classic round, almond, soft square, and chisel. For this pair, I wanted something smart but not so sleek so I went for the classic round shape. What's interesting with An Hy's approach to MTM is that they will use an existing last and apply substantial modifications to it allowing them to really fine tune the fit. We had 3 trial pairs done due to my very irregularly shaped feet (very narrow heel, very narrow waist, wide forefoot). I would send photos and videos of myself wearing the trial shoes and share how I felt wearing them. I'm glad to report that we nailed the fit! The shoes fit snug but not tight everywhere but with a nice, roomy toe box. It's amazing how An Hy was able to create such a nice last shape given the design constraint of my duck shaped feet. From my experience, you can also give some input as to the kind of shape you want and they will do their best to accommodate you. They even do custom patterns for a small up-charge.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of the buying experience for me is the customer service and the ability to build a relationship with the brand. HD (the owner) is very responsive, and he kept in touch with me the whole time to give me regular updates. HD would often share progress photos and explain each step so I learned a great deal about shoe design and construction. HD and I would also talk about shoes often so we have a good understanding now of what kinds of styles and shapes we both like and dislike. It's also great to support a new maker with a lot of passion and heart for the craft. Overall, I'm very pleased with the looks and construction of the shoes. I wanted a smart but not so sleek pair of split toes that I could wear with casual tailoring and An Hy definitely delivered.

Upon close examination, I feel like these are a modern and youthful take on the EG dover. Details such as the slimmer, less round apron that creates an arrow like shape, the extremely smooth and seamless transition of the welt towards the waist, and the slightly pitched heel all make this pair have a character of its own. The finishing is also a joy to behold. I feel that the 10SPI and the stitch prick they use conveys a very strong, masculine, and elegant expression while the curve and transition of the sole towards the waist has a beautiful, graceful curvature to it. Seeing these details, I know that a great deal of time and care went into the making of these shoes.

Hope you enjoyed this and thank you for reading! IMG_20211217_144603.jpg IMG_20211217_144707.jpg IMG_20211217_150259.jpg IMG_20211217_152723.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211217_144552.jpg
    IMG_20211217_144552.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20211217_144614.jpg
    IMG_20211217_144614.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20211217_150056.jpg
    IMG_20211217_150056.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20211217_150333.jpg
    IMG_20211217_150333.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20211217_160423.jpg
    IMG_20211217_160423.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20211217_160346.jpg
    IMG_20211217_160346.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 111

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am very pleased to share my first (and surely not my last) commission from An Hy shoes out of Vietnam. I ordered a split toe derby, Dover style based on their in-house pattern with double leather sole, blind welt (inside and outside), and Dark Brown Utah calf.

All their shoes are hand lasted, hand welted, and have hand stitched outsoles. Prices start from 711 USD for made to order and 800 USD for made-to-measure (MTM).

This is a MTM shoe on my personal, classic round last. Toe shapes they offer include classic round, almond, soft square, and chisel. For this pair, I wanted something smart but not so sleek so I went for the classic round shape. What's interesting with An Hy's approach to MTM is that they will use an existing last and apply substantial modifications to it allowing them to really fine tune the fit. We had 3 trial pairs done due to my very irregularly shaped feet (very narrow heel, very narrow waist, wide forefoot). I would send photos and videos of myself wearing the trial shoes and share how I felt wearing them. I'm glad to report that we nailed the fit! The shoes fit snug but not tight everywhere but with a nice, roomy toe box. It's amazing how An Hy was able to create such a nice last shape given the design constraint of my duck shaped feet. From my experience, you can also give some input as to the kind of shape you want and they will do their best to accommodate you. They even do custom patterns for a small up-charge.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of the buying experience for me is the customer service and the ability to build a relationship with the brand. HD (the owner) is very responsive, and he kept in touch with me the whole time to give me regular updates. HD would often share progress photos and explain each step so I learned a great deal about shoe design and construction. HD and I would also talk about shoes often so we have a good understanding now of what kinds of styles and shapes we both like and dislike. It's also great to support a new maker with a lot of passion and heart for the craft. Overall, I'm very pleased with the looks and construction of the shoes. I wanted a smart but not so sleek pair of split toes that I could wear with casual tailoring and An Hy definitely delivered.

Upon close examination, I feel like these are a modern and youthful take on the EG dover. Details such as the slimmer, less round apron that creates an arrow like shape, the extremely smooth and seamless transition of the welt towards the waist, and the slightly pitched heel all make this pair have a character of its own. The finishing is also a joy to behold. I feel that the 10SPI and the stitch prick they use conveys a very strong, masculine, and elegant expression while the curve and transition of the sole towards the waist has a beautiful, graceful curvature to it. Seeing these details, I know that a great deal of time and care went into the making of these shoes.

Hope you enjoyed this and thank you for reading! View attachment 1722336 View attachment 1722338 View attachment 1722339 View attachment 1722337

Sounds like it was a successful commission. It is also nice to have some activity on here. ??

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
deleted

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads