• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split Toe Derby

djdanniedee

Reaction score
Been meaning to post pictures of these for awhile.but never got around to it. Gave them a very brief shine before snapping these. House of Agin made by Mattina.

What doesn't get captured by pictures even tho I tried to snap a close up, is how tight the pie crust apron is. In pictures it looks normal but in real life it's very narrow. The split toe is definitely more elongated which I personally love.

IMG_20210414_143112.jpg IMG_20210414_143214.jpg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been meaning to post pictures of these for awhile.but never got around to it. Gave them a very brief shine before snapping these. House of Agin made by Mattina.

What doesn't get captured by pictures even tho I tried to snap a close up, is how tight the pie crust apron is. In pictures it looks normal but in real life it's very narrow. The split toe is definitely more elongated which I personally love.

View attachment 1593206 View attachment 1593207

It's really nicely done. ??

It looks like the apron is possibly between where the Dover's sits and where Italian's aprons typically sit.

Viatu

Reaction score

View attachment 1593206 View attachment 1593207

Nice shoes. How long did it take for these to be delivered to you?

djdanniedee

Reaction score
Can't remember exactly but it was pretty close to what was advertised. There was a slight delay as Mattina forgot to send the shoe trees to house of Agin but @boot_owl was on top of it and gave me updates throughout.

Nice shoes. How long did it take for these to be delivered to you?

kg13

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of ordering a MTM Split toe from Fugashin. They sent me this photo of their horween hatch grain. I'm interested in the dark brown color but I'm concerned that the patina will rub off and it won't age well. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Any help / guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you!

derby split toe.jpg

hatch grain DBR.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of ordering a MTM Split toe from Fugashin. They sent me this photo of their horween hatch grain. I'm interested in the dark brown color but I'm concerned that the patina will rub off and it won't age well. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Any help / guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you!

View attachment 1604210

View attachment 1604209

Is that just painted over? Why not get a hatch grain that's just dark brown?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

View attachment 1604210

View attachment 1604209

If they are using the dark brown hatchgrain, Bullrush or Saddle Brown, that is Chrome tanned. That color will not fade. Have them select one of those colors instead.

Are they going to patina or color the leather you have in your hands. As far as I'm aware, Horween doesn't have a crust version of that hatchgrain, so what you end up with (that colored leather) and how it will react will be anyone's guess.

Last edited:

kg13

Reaction score
Is that just painted over? Why not get a hatch grain that's just dark brown?

They say they only have light brown and to get dark brown they apply patina to it... So I'm guessing it's not good then?

kg13

Reaction score
If they are using the dark brown hatchgrain, Bullrush or Saddle Brown, that is Chrome tanned. That color will not fade. Have them select one of those colors instead.

Are they going to patina or color the leather you have in your hands. As far as I'm aware, Horween doesn't have a crust version of that hatchgrain, so what you end up with and how it will react will be anyone's guess.
Yes. They're saying they have light brown in stock and they patina it with black polish to get it to dark brown. So not a good idea you think?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They say they only have light brown and to get dark brown they apply patina to it... So I'm guessing it's not good then?

:confused2:

I mean, I've never had that done. But it seems like a lame and weird shortcut to making a high-quality shoe. I know people do it for crust. But like ... just go buy some dark brown hatch grain from A&A Crack.

kg13

Reaction score
:confused2:

I mean, I've never had that done. But it seems like a lame and weird shortcut to making a high-quality shoe. I know people do it for crust. But like ... just go buy some dark brown hatch grain from A&A Crack.

That's true. Sad they don't have much leather options. I guess I won't be pushing through with it then. I like their pattern and last design though.

By the way, I'm a huge fan of your blog. Your articles are incredibly well-written. Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's true. Sad they don't have much leather options. I guess I won't be pushing through with it then. I like their pattern and last design though.

By the way, I'm a huge fan of your blog. Your articles are incredibly well-written. Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

Thanks!

I suppose if I had a lot of trust in the shoemaker and they said this is a good idea, I would defer to them. I just assume they have more experience than me in this area. But if I wanted a dark brown hatch grain, my first instinct is to just buy leather that's dark brown (or, rather, have the shoemaker buy the leather). I assume they should be able to buy a hide in dark brown from their supplier.

kg13

Reaction score
Thanks!

I suppose if I had a lot of trust in the shoemaker and they said this is a good idea, I would defer to them. I just assume they have more experience than me in this area. But if I wanted a dark brown hatch grain, my first instinct is to just buy leather that's dark brown (or, rather, have the shoemaker buy the leather). I assume they should be able to buy a hide in dark brown from their supplier.

I see. Yeah, I'm not so confident with the polish / patina idea... Just wanted to see if anyone on here had experience with something like this!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. They're saying they have light brown in stock and they patina it with black polish to get it to dark brown. So not a good idea you think?

Would get a pass from me. Too much uncertainty with what the long term results will be. Heck, no clue what those would look like even a year from now.

I'm not sure about your willingness or how deadset you are about this maker, but you can order the leather yourself. That is if they don't want to order it for you.

DWW posted AACRACK. That is definitely an option. If their quoted price is too much and you want them to order a hide for you, give me a shout. I should be able to quote you a price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads