• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split Toe Derby

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thought in general saurabh is half size smaller than you and me (we're 9.5D US, he is 9D US)?

edit: as I used to watch his B&S and magically hope it was half size bigger

That was directed towards the general viewing public, however remember he received a different sized shoe. At that point, maybe I can get a discount for the other shoe ?.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thought in general saurabh is half size smaller than you and me (we're 9.5D US, he is 9D US)?

edit: as I used to watch his B&S and magically hope it was half size bigger
That was directed towards the general viewing public, however remember he received a different sized shoe. At that point, maybe I can get a discount for the other shoe ?.
haha yes correct, I am size 8 UK TTS in most brands and 8.5 UK for EG/G&G.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious to know if there is any much difference in color between Mahogany Utah (left one OT loafers) and Chestnut Utah (right one Y shoes which I got today).
I also have the Saddle brown hatch grain CGMTO order with Yeossal which will take few weeks and that’s completely different which is good.
Does it warrant to have both (Mahogany and Chestnut Utah) or instead choose Janus polo suede for the SpTD? Any inputs will be appreciated.

54F4D485-CC82-4BC1-8DB9-EC90131AF6A8.jpeg

Last edited:

bsarosi

Reaction score
I am curious to know if there is any much difference in color between Mahogany Utah (left one OT loafers) and Chestnut Utah (right one Y shoes which I got today).
I also have the Saddle brown hatch grain CGMTO order with Yeossal which will take few weeks and that’s completely different which is good.
Does it warrant to have both (Mahogany and Utah) or instead choose Janus polo suede for the SpTD? Any inputs will be appreciated.

View attachment 1468112

Chestnut seems to have more reddish tone whereas Mahogany is more brown. So I’d say you can pull of both in SpTD. Plus, Utah and hatchgrain leathers differ enough to warrant both IMO. But if you only have the option between Janus or Mahogany Utah, I’d probably lean towards Janus assuming you don’t have a suede SpTD already.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chestnut seems to have more reddish tone whereas Mahogany is more brown. So I’d say you can pull of both in SpTD. Plus, Utah and hatchgrain leathers differ enough to warrant both IMO. But if you only have the option between Janus or Mahogany Utah, I’d probably lean towards Janus assuming you don’t have a suede SpTD already.
Thanks for your input. That’s a great advise for Janus suede as I don’t have any Suede SpTD.
I will check with Tom if changing to Suede is still an option!! It gets confusing between colors so suede would be a safe bet.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
I've always found the pie crust stitching on suede to not be as noticeable compared to calf, not sure if that matters to you or not. But it's something i've noticed in almost all pictures.

I did see one where they used white contrast stitching on pie crust apron and it definitely popped more and wasn't tacky at all (compared to say red stitching on a suit buttonhole, where it definitely looks tacky).

Thanks for your input. That’s a great advise for Janus suede as I don’t have any Suede SpTD.
I will check with Tom if changing to Suede is still an option!! It gets confusing between colors so suede would be a safe bet.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always found the pie crust stitching on suede to not be as noticeable compared to calf, not sure if that matters to you or not. But it's something i've noticed in almost all pictures.

I did see one where they used white contrast stitching on pie crust apron and it definitely popped more and wasn't tacky at all (compared to say red stitching on a suit buttonhole, where it definitely looks tacky).
That’s a great point and yes on many suede SpTD it’s not that noticeable. Below is a pic of Oct Tenth SpTD Janus polo suede. How does these look ? I don’t think tacky at all.

4E5B45C3-F6C4-4F15-9E3D-6DD848229824.jpeg

djdanniedee

Reaction score
The Janus polo suede is fire! Definitely not tacky at all. The stitch colour matches the suede quite well, i find most makers will use similar colour stitches to sewn the apron. But definitely consider using a higher contrast stitch for the apron, seeing it really made me reconsider getting a pair for myself. It seems like a small indifferent detail but it really brings out the pie crust.

That’s a great point and yes on many suede SpTD it’s not that noticeable. Below is a pic of Oct Tenth SpTD Janus polo suede. How does these look ? I don’t think tacky at all.

View attachment 1468153

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Janus polo suede is fire! Definitely not tacky at all. The stitch colour matches the suede quite well, i find most makers will use similar colour stitches to sewn the apron. But definitely consider using a higher contrast stitch for the apron, seeing it really made me reconsider getting a pair for myself. It seems like a small indifferent detail but it really brings out the pie crust.
I agree a little contrast stich for the apron would look great. If I am going that route will definitely request that. I have seen Hiro’s SpTD which Steve owner of Leffot wears in person as well and it has a good contrast stitching for the apron.
I think it’s the Camel suede SpTD.
55ACEBFD-507F-4EC5-97AA-6B343736B516.jpeg
90307EA2-0BC2-48CC-8186-2B7C74D8ED22.jpeg

djdanniedee

Reaction score
Goddaaammnn it! I had just placed an order for an OT split toe in horween hatchgrain but you got me considering whether i should place a second order for a janus suede :brick:

I agree a little contrast stich for the apron would look great. If I am going that route will definitely request that. I have seen Hiro’s SpTD which Steve owner of Leffot wears in person as well and it has a good contrast stitching for the apron.
I think it’s the Camel suede SpTD.
View attachment 1468185 View attachment 1468186

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goddaaammnn it! I had just placed an order for an OT split toe in horween hatchgrain but you got me considering whether i should place a second order for a janus suede :brick:
Haha I am definitely in two minds as well :) but will find out from Tom if I am able to switch out the Mahagony Utah to the Polo Suede Janus!!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 1000% the wrong guy to ask about the difference between Chestnut and Mahagony Utah. They look exactly the same to me haha.

What I can add though both @djdanniedee & @bsarosi have the right idea. Suede is the must here. Great texture. Bad weather warrior, and the style (SpTD) a winner.

I had the same thought as @djdanniedee in that the pie crust isn't as evident on suede. On this one yes, because of the light color and contrasting stitching.

Darn shame they can't do a braid. I'm doing a SpTD braided apron with contrasting stitching. This is the work in progress picture.
Screenshot_20200925-183107_Instagram.jpg

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 1000% the wrong guy to ask about the difference between Chestnut and Mahagony Utah. They look exactly the same to me haha.

What I can add though both @djdanniedee & @bsarosi have the right idea. Suede is the must here. Great texture. Bad weather warrior, and the style (SpTD) a winner.

I had the same thought as @djdanniedee in that the pie crust isn't as evident on suede. On this one yes, because of the light color and contrasting stitching.

Darn shame they can't do a braid. I'm doing a SpTD braided apron with contrasting stitching. This is the work in progress picture.
View attachment 1468223
Thanks for your input. Is that in progress Braided SpTD from Nicholas Templeman ?

djdanniedee

Reaction score
Who is the maker of those? The only time I've seen a braided apron was from N.Templeman.
He would have been my guess but then the last is not wooden so figured it's someone else

View attachment 1468223

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. Is that in progress Braided SpTD from Nicholas Templeman ?
Who is the maker of those? The only time I've seen a braided apron was from N.Templeman.
He would have been my guess but then the last is not wooden so figured it's someone else

I guess you both had the same thought. That would have been a good guess, and only after I placed the order I began to see Templeman's braided SpTD. He (NT) and I have unfinished business though haha.

This one is from Castez Ermili. The inspiration were a pair of tassel loafers which I was scheduled to have made in dark brown suede from Riccardo Bestitti. So, I was holding out on using the design since that was from several years ago. He went missing, never to return. Fortunately, I never put down the depo ?.
Screenshot_20200930-003730_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads