• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split Toe Derby

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
I would guess the lack of popularity stems from their "country" appearance. They are rather bulky.

Having said that, I believe sometimes your attire calls for this type of look. Anytime I had seen these, they look great with jeans and chinos. Where the GG Hove, for example, looks out of place in certain instances.
Yeah they are somewhat bulky but not as much as Chasse model. Frankly I wear them with a suit (although rarely) when I just want something else than black or brown oxfords and IMO they look quite OK. Of course it is not the best choice for a suit but still not that bad. Also looks great with cords or jeans.

78B4E8F2-2690-4024-AB58-B7FC43F5CBA1.jpeg

80EBB630-B173-405A-8021-CFA287143E99.jpeg

4E6315E1-4338-464D-8B20-EA3BAE027D8C.jpeg

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Allen Edmonds Walton is essentially an exact copy of the JM Weston Demi-Chasse (stylistically, not quality). I don’t look at AE anymore, but I still have these and they have served me well for years. These are almost a decade old. I think they look good with a lot of odd jackets/sport coat combos. Also, I lean towards fuller cut trousers to offset their bulkiness. I find chinos are fine as well, provided they aren’t too slim. For some reason, I haven’t enjoyed them with jeans, and I’ve never paired them with a suit.

JPEG image.jpeg

JPEG image 2.jpeg

JPEG image 3.jpeg

JPEG image 4.jpeg

JPEG image 5.jpeg

JPEG image 6.jpeg

JPEG image 7.jpeg

SmellBlind

Reaction score
A question for the experts. I'm thinking about picking up a pair of split toes as I have a gap between my oxfords and my sneakers currently, when boots aren't appropriate. I am picturing a casual last (similar to the Meermin models) in a textured grain leather (similar to the post above) in a chestnut-ish color. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced ($300+-) pair? To be worn with jeans, cotton casual trousers, dress trousers.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question for the experts. I'm thinking about picking up a pair of split toes as I have a gap between my oxfords and my sneakers currently, when boots aren't appropriate. I am picturing a casual last (similar to the Meermin models) in a textured grain leather (similar to the post above) in a chestnut-ish color. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced ($300+-) pair? To be worn with jeans, cotton casual trousers, dress trousers.

Check out sons of Henry. Their sptd is great and amazing value for how much they cost.

Thomas_M

Reaction score

Check out sons of Henry. Their sptd is great and amazing value for how much they cost.

+1.
Very hard to do better than Sons of Henrey !
I think you'll be happy with a SpTD. They will definitely and amazingly fill that void you mentioned.

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As @Proleet & @Thomas_M mentioned, at the $300 range, no shoe will probably beat out the SoH SpTD. We are talking about a shoe, if you select the Utah grain, that carries a $1600 leather for ~$300.

SmellBlind

Reaction score
+1.
Very hard to do better than Sons of Henrey !
I think you'll be happy with a SpTD. They will definitely and amazingly fill that void you mentioned.
As @Proleet & @Thomas_M mentioned, at the $300 range, no shoe will probably beat out the SoH SpTD. We are talking about a shoe, if you select the Utah grain, that carries a $1600 leather for ~$300.

Those look fantastic but I am only seeing the "ebony" color online. And not shipping until September. Am I missing a brown option somewhere?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look fantastic but I am only seeing the "ebony" color online. And not shipping until September. Am I missing a brown option somewhere?

Unfortunately, Sons of Henrey is a small purveyor of shoes. Thus, they don't always have all the leather options available at given times. As you noted, the next shipment would be September and in only in Ebony. Not sure if they are doing other leathers in other GMTOs.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Sons of Henrey is a small purveyor of shoes. Thus, they don't always have all the leather options available at given times. As you noted, the next shipment would be September and in only in Ebony. Not sure if they are doing other leathers in other GMTOs.

I think there will be a few other leather options available in September as well (going off of what Tom shared earlier).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads