• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split Toe Derby

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen much details on Mori, other than pictures that Maslow posts. He had a podcast with Shoegazing talking about the shoes but i didn't get a chance to listen yet.

From what i've read, the brand will be working with different bespoke makers to draft last and patterns. The shoe however, will be made in a chinese factory but to bespoke (or near) levels, handwelt, handlast, etc.
I think each shoe that comes out will be done by a different bespoke maker.

Ah okay, so we have no concrete information about the shoes. I remember hearing that Masaru Okuyama was involved in a project. My guess is it could be this one. If it is, and considering Masaru's proximty to the potential factory, I would imagine they would get a master shoemaker hammering down the construction details. It should make for a fantastic shoe. Masaru Okuyama is not really my style (reminiscent of a French shoe), but his execution is amongst the best there is in the world. I'll be depending on @aj2603 for IG photos haha.

andreasky

Reaction score
I found pictures of those two beautiful split toe derby:

The first is by Sr Crispin (Inca leather), the second by Antonio Meccariello (pigskin).

What is you opinion on them?

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah okay, so we have no concrete information about the shoes. I remember hearing that Masaru Okuyama was involved in a project. My guess is it could be this one. If it is, and considering Masaru's proximty to the potential factory, I would imagine they would get a master shoemaker hammering down the construction details. It should make for a fantastic shoe. Masaru Okuyama is not really my style (reminiscent of a French shoe), but his execution is amongst the best there is in the world. I'll be depending on @aj2603 for IG photos haha.

sorry for the late reply .. was a bit busy with the COVID-19 precautions ...

I think this will answer all the question about the concept of the venture

they have a very nice double monk that I found to be interested

as of now they don’t have a online store but u can buy their shoes from IL NEGOZI.

Some pics for u @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

4134727A-B792-4C47-87AF-06F9DC055107.jpeg
0B8FF1F6-661C-4DBD-A75E-4B73FBD546C1.jpeg
73FC108E-2EC5-4E2A-AE37-B4108E214913.jpeg
CAEF54D1-5A7F-4B02-8A85-75538F22B6F9.jpeg
0862CF35-591F-4739-9F29-75B9252A3964.jpeg
F583EA68-3C8E-4F8B-A334-2B2196AE5D40.jpeg
C257248A-07AE-48A0-BB4F-350FDDA2FD35.jpeg

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The first is by Sr Crispin (Inca leather), the second by Antonio Meccariello (pigskin).

I think I have already given my in depth view about both of them on this thread ...

but in short .. I love them both and plan to own both of them at sometime in my life

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I like the first. Not a fan of the faux patina on the second.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the first. Not a fan of the faux patina on the second.

Love the StC because of the uniform deep color, and last shape. I also really like the Inca grain. It is a sort of the middle of the road in terms of grain size.

Never been a fan of patinas regardless of makers. A subtle burnish is the absolute most variance I would accept on my shoes. Although, there appears to be a growing market for the look.

If you are asking solely in terms of the overall make, either one is a solid choice. Price difference is substantial I believe.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry for the late reply .. was a bit busy with the COVID-19 precautions ...

I think this will answer all the question about the concept of the venture

they have a very nice double monk that I found to be interested

as of now they don’t have a online store but u can buy their shoes from IL NEGOZI.

Some pics for u @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

View attachment 1355651 View attachment 1355652 View attachment 1355653 View attachment 1355654 View attachment 1355655 View attachment 1355656 View attachment 1355657

Thank you for both the information and pictures. I depend on these uploads to "see" the media world haha. On the SoH thread as well these uploads are invaluable! ?

andreasky

Reaction score
Love the StC because of the uniform deep color, and last shape. I also really like the Inca grain. It is a sort of the middle of the road in terms of grain size.

Never been a fan of patinas regardless of makers. A subtle burnish is the absolute most variance I would accept on my shoes. Although, there appears to be a growing market for the look.

If you are asking solely in terms of the overall make, either one is a solid choice. Price difference is substantial I believe.

Thank you for your insight. I was interested in knowing which model is more versatile and also which of the two leather types is better during all year. Is Inca easy to maintain?

andreasky

Reaction score
I think I have already given my in depth view about both of them on this thread ...

but in short .. I love them both and plan to own both of them at sometime in my life
I searched but I did not find your comments. Could you post the link? Thanks

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your insight. I was interested in knowing which model is more versatile and also which of the two leather types is better during all year. Is Inca easy to maintain?

Well either model would work. However, I own two StCs in the same configuration (SpTD) as opposed to not owning any SpTDs from AM.

Personally, again biased because I own two of them, I prefer the StC model. The last seems more balanced, and conservative yet just as elegant. The arch support from StC is also more prominent. Not to say that the AM is not supportive, but you really get a locked in feel from the StC. Because of this, I urge you to try it on if possible.

A uniform color is more versatile. Therefore, you could wear it in the office and on the street. I'm partial to a medium or dark brown (like in the picture).

Selecting a grained leather will make it more casual however so keep this in mind.
Having said that, if your work environment is not too conservative (Law firm or banking sector) you can still wear the grained leather in the office. Especially if you shine them up nicely, it can work everywhere. As soon as the shine dissipates, you can wear it with chinos or jeans for a casual look.

Inca leather is really low maintenance. Take a brush to it every few days and it's fine. It doesn't bloom (get waxy) like the Horween Russian grain (a popular grain employed by StC) which is higher maintenance. The Mountain grain or Alpine grain (same leather different name) is also great and a nice performer in the rain.

While the patina is popular, because of that pizzazz it is memorable. You couldn't wear it every few days without someone saying, "oh you are wearing those cool shoes again. " Furthermore with a casual look, the shoes would look either out of place or just awkward. Hence, makes them less versatile.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC02275-2 (kopia).jpg

Cross post from the Skolyx thread: We are very happy to be able to introduce a Reverse stitch toe derby model in TLB Mallorca's Artista range, as this months Group MTO. It's made on the lovely Goya last with a classic round toe, and with Annonay's fine Vegano leather in dark brown. The thin city rubber sole makes the shoe very versatile, and on Artista the rubber soles are more neat than most brand's leather soles.⁠⠀
⁠⠀
This GMTO is open during April with expected delivery in June, no minimum quantity, you can choose width, and we offer free exchanges of size on our GMTOs. Price is 4 495 SEK / €425 incl. VAT (€340 / $378 excl. VAT for those outside EU).⁠ Check it out closer here.

DSC02285.jpg

DSC02267.jpg

DSC02298.jpg

DSC02310.jpg

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Continuing the shoeshine therapy.

Brand: Berwick 1707
Model: Split Toe Derby
Supplier: A Fine Pair of Shoes
Last: 130
Colour: Dark brown
Sole: Dainite

Note: As the AFPOS site says: "gorgeous dark brown waxy chromex leather with goodyear welted dainite rubber sole" it is made in Chromex Waxy Leather. A very robust shoe but comfortable. I usually buy size 10.5 UK but had to buy 10UK, not unusual with spanish shoes. A great shoe at a great price. I have not applied any wax or polish, just brushing and brushing. AFPOS site has great pictures.

IMG_8431.JPG
IMG_8432.JPG
IMG_8435.JPG
IMG_8437.JPG

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoeshine Time series continue.

Brand: Berwick 1707
Model: Split Toe Derby 2369 - K1
Supplier: Berwick 1707
Last: 128
Sole: Commando (Vibram)
Colour: Anicalf Dark Brown

Note: A very nice shoe, affordable and lightweight. Another funtional souvenir bought from Madrid. I am using this shoe for visiting jobsites and "operational bussines trips" when a quick clean is needed and not possible with brogues. Berwick is a brand that deserves more attention and A Fine Pair of Shoes is a magnific supplier that has this brand in stock.

IMG_8947.JPG
IMG_8949.JPG
IMG_8950.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads