• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Split Toe Derby

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AFAIK some makers like GG will colour hatch while others like AM will patina it. Both are permanent. But applying polish seems lazy and not permanent.
That would be my concern. How are they achieving the desired color? Bypassing the mystery to order from another maker that has the preferred color on hand seems a better decision.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, if you consider Yeossal can also consider SoH x OT, OT's last offering is less overwhelming and based on their website looks like they have Horween hatchgrain espresso available (though don't have dark brown)

kg13

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the differences between Horween hatch grain and Haas Utah calf? How differently do they wear and age?

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They both have a hatch grain pattern. Utah is great - soft and supple. The horween feels more substantial and sturdier to me. Not a bad decision to be made but different. Edit/ I realized this may sound like an endorsement of Utah by saying it’s great. Both my grained split toes are horween.

But paging Dr @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes for the guy with leather questions.

kg13

Reaction score
They both have a hatch grain pattern. Utah is great - soft and supple. The horween feels more substantial and sturdier to me. Not a bad decision to be made but different. Edit/ I realized this may sound like an endorsement of Utah by saying it’s great. Both my grained split toes are horween.

Thank you! I'm choosing between saddle brown hatch and dark brown utah calf. Looks wise, they're very similar. Just wanna hear how they both hold up over time! Would love to own a pair in each leather in the future haha

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not the leather expert but having both leathers my take - The saddle horween is money - I think personally that it looks better than Utah with the hatch being a little more pronounced and having some more depth initially - believe it’s aniline and then printed and is sturdier feeling - Mine has aged very well.

the Utah is super supple and soft/pliable since it’s vegetable tanned and stuffed with various oils. Really ridiculously easy to care for and easy to break in. It ages well and will probably patina a bit more over time.

Can’t go wrong with either just preference.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you! I'm choosing between saddle brown hatch and dark brown utah calf. Looks wise, they're very similar. Just wanna hear how they both hold up over time! Would love to own a pair in each leather in the future haha
Both hold up well. Hatch grain is chrome tanned while Utah is vegetable tanned.

Like @Jmr928 mentioned, the Utah is softer and because it is vegetable tanned you can expect a patina to develop.

The hatch grain would remain consistent. It will just age as in look used, but not age naturally like the Utah.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not the leather expert but having both leathers my take - The saddle horween is money - I think personally that it looks better than Utah with the hatch being a little more pronounced and having some more depth initially - believe it’s aniline and then printed and is sturdier feeling - Mine has aged very well.

the Utah is super supple and soft/pliable since it’s vegetable tanned and stuffed with various oils. Really ridiculously easy to care for and easy to break in. It ages well and will probably patina a bit more over time.

Can’t go wrong with either just preference.
Both are pretty easy to take care of.
Hatch grain definitely has a firmer hand feel. Tighter grain. It has a matte appearance.

Utah has a greasy supple look due to those 9 fats and oils @Jmr928 just mentioned.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Owning a pair in both leathers is not a bad idea. If you had to choose one, choose the one that doesn't require altering it in any way. 😉

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought Utah, delapre, and Novonappa are all the same product and it's a veg retan?
Utah has the grain embossed in it, delapre and novonappa I believe are the same product with different makers using different names but yes the base product is the same and novo/delapre is just non-hatch Utah and they all come from Haas so same product in that regard.

Horween can hatch any of their products - the most commonly used one that we are talking about here comparing to Utah is called pioneer I think? Think they also have one in limited colors that is toggle dried that some Italian makers use and they also have hatch grained cordovan - I think EB is the main maker I’ve seen use that one which to be honest seems a shame to take shell and emboss it.

deadfisheyes

Reaction score
I thought Utah, delapre, and Novonappa are all the same product and it's a veg retan?
Utah has the grain embossed in it, delapre and novonappa I believe are the same product with different makers using different names but yes the base product is the same and novo/delapre is just non-hatch Utah and they all come from Haas so same product in that regard.

Horween can hatch any of their products - the most commonly used one that we are talking about here comparing to Utah is called pioneer I think? Think they also have one in limited colors that is toggle dried that some Italian makers use and they also have hatch grained cordovan - I think EB is the main maker I’ve seen use that one which to be honest seems a shame to take shell and emboss it.
The article name from the tannery is Novonappa. Delapre is how EG calls it (Hermes calls it Barenia). Utah is name EG uses for Novonappa with the hatch emboss.
Novanappa is also combination tanned/ veg retan; not a straight veg tan.
The toggle dried horween hatchgrain article you are talking about must be the Arlington. I have seen Stefano Bemer uses a Horsefront leather with hatchgrain emboss, probably exclusive to them.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Yes. Sorry I meant the same base leather with or without branding and/or hatching.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy