• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split Toe Derby

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• eg dover models.png
    eg dover models.png
    19 KB · Views: 61

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goodness me Dauster you found a treasure chest here!! For those interested in split toes mentioned here.. You have the Dover, the ZB split toe, and my favorite Carmina split toe in the Soller Last.

Screenshot_20190806-190953_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190806-191014_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190806-191127_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190806-191107_Chrome.jpg

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your welcome sir! Glad somebody appreciates a good deal just like me.
Also, for people that have not dealt with Steve from Gentlemen's Footwear, he is a great guy and very knowledgeable, I just bought suede Carmina wholecut loafers from him for only $250. Not sure if it was an exception or not but he would have even allowed me to return the shoes on sale in case they didnt fit but they did fit perfectly.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody here experience with Fukuda? I think every once in a while he comes to NYC, which would be fine but after emailing him it seems not to happen regularly ... I guess I will "settle" for this EG, specifically like this color... What do you guys think? I know not a very fair comparisons but still.

Attachments

• Edward Green Dover_606_JUNCALF_side.jpg
    Edward Green Dover_606_JUNCALF_side.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 82
  • fukuda split toe derby.jpg
    fukuda split toe derby.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 112

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody here experience with Fukuda? I think every once in a while he comes to NYC, which would be fine but after emailing him it seems not to happen regularly ... I guess I will "settle" for this EG, specifically like this color... What do you guys think? I know not a very fair comparisons but still.

I have a friend that has his shoes, the Sabot ones. He claims they are very good, although I do not believe the Sabot sell that split toe. I met Fukuda when he came to NYC for that Armoury visit you may be referring to. He mentioned he makes those, but are finished elsewhere. You could always try them on (at the Armoury), get the proper size, and email him the order? Alternatively, you can get some from SC or Zonkey Boot which are either cheaper or similar in price. This is contingent if you are dead set on a Hand-welted shoe. If not, the Dover in this color at a discounted price (if possible) would be an excellent substitute.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that has his shoes, the Sabot ones. He claims they are very good, although I do not believe the Sabot sell that split toe. I met Fukuda when he came to NYC for that Armoury visit you may be referring to. He mentioned he makes those, but are finished elsewhere. You could always try them on (at the Armoury), get the proper size, and email him the order? Alternatively, you can get some from SC or Zonkey Boot which are either cheaper or similar in price. This is contingent if you are dead set on a Hand-welted shoe. If not, the Dover in this color at a discounted price (if possible) would be an excellent substitute.
Thanks, it seems just too much of a hassle to do the back and forth with Japan even though it could be a great way to justify multiple trips...

I agree the EG seem to the most reasonable alternative. Unsure about Zonkey Boot but the SCs look really nice even though they never reply to my emails... thanks for your input.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, it seems just too much of a hassle to do the back and forth with Japan even though it could be a great way to justify multiple trips...

I agree the EG seem to the most reasonable alternative. Unsure about Zonkey Boot but the SCs look really nice even though they never reply to my emails... thanks for your input.

I am not sure if you are based in NY, which you seemed to have alluded to it, but I was referring to going to the Armoury store. Have them give you a shoe to try on. Let Fukuda know your size from his RTW shoes, and have a pair of RTW split toes made. No trips to Japan! Unless you wish too haha.

I had a similar problem with emailing SC, and their lack of responses. Again if you are in NY, stop by LEFFOT and arrange for those SCs.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my thoughts are

Construction: SC & Zonkey : Might be more durable and sturdy coz of the hand welting. But in the end EG, SC & Zonkey will roughly last you the same time if cared for.

Customer service: EG : The availability is defiantly more and customer support via EG and affiliates is better (overall).

Last and design: I prefer EG. as i said before, it is perfectly balanced (this is a subjective thing. Everyone has different taste and sense of design)

Leather Selection: I don't think u can go wrong with either 3. But EG does have more options in RTW. EG has suede, hatch grain, calf and utah calf. SC also has tons of options via their MTO.

Finishing: At this level you are really nitpicking. Unless u r a enthusiast and lets say ur nerd level is up there, then it should not matter. All 3 have a very high stitch density (anything above 10 per inch is excellent. ideally u don't need more than 6-8 per inch for durability).

Sales: I have seen all 3 go on sale. But since the stockist of EG is more. That chances of grabbing one in ur size r defiantly higher.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my thoughts are

Sales: I have seen all 3 go on sale. But since the stockist of EG is more. That chances of grabbing one in ur size r defiantly higher.

Construction: Definitely agree.

Customer service: EG, also ZB. Customer service is top notch at ZB. They are extremely helpful, and do their best to assist potential clients

Last and design: Obviously agree. SC comes a close second.

Leather Selection: Agree but ZB also has a wide selection on par with SC. Availability for ZB shoes, in general, are difficult to come by.

Finishing: Agreed

Sales: EG stockists are probably 2 to 1 (online) as opposed to SC or ZB. Brick and mortal stores probably 10 to 1. Which if you are fortunate enough to be near one, you can not only try on EG footwear but purchase it immediately. Means no waiting 6 to 8 weeks to receive it.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if you are based in NY, which you seemed to have alluded to it, but I was referring to going to the Armoury store. Have them give you a shoe to try on. Let Fukuda know your size from his RTW shoes, and have a pair of RTW split toes made. No trips to Japan! Unless you wish too haha.

I had a similar problem with emailing SC, and their lack of responses. Again if you are in NY, stop by LEFFOT and arrange for those SCs.
Sorry, no I am based out of San Francisco but NYC not a big deal to get to. Unfortunately, the Armory only carries Fukuda in small sizes I might have seen a UK 10 but I need 11 and they confirmed that they don’t have them. Also very limited selection of available styles at least last time I checked. Thank you all for your input in posts below much appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads