• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split Toe Derby

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today

amiga505

Reaction score

this gives me a good starting point to seek some advice, I hope it will not be too much of an off-topic as I will be talking of split-toe derbies.

I possess a pair of fall-winter trousers in charcoal grey flannel, it's a proper flannely flannel with a distinct fluffy feel and a melange quality. here it is:

fullsizeoutput_626.jpeg

having this pair of trousers made was why I bought a pair of black oxfords - a decision I, having since learned about the city-country dynamics, came to regret. I have a few tweed coats to go with these trousers, one loud double-breasted check and such like, definitely in the country territory, so I am now thinking a pair of black split-toe derbies...

the question I have is about the leather... I initially thought that grained leather, pebble-grain or scotch grain would sync well with the texture of the trousers. something like this (textures, not colours):

CarlosSantos9131Split-ToeDerbyinPetroShadowPatinaforTheNobleShoe2_4000x@2x.progressive.jpg

Sons_of_Henrey_FW2020-17_59950a2a-7e71-4b0c-9fe9-109cbf6cd532_1024x.jpg

now however I am thinking that such texture on the leather will be too in keeping with the texture of the trousers, and my thoughts are turning in a direction of contrast. perhaps indeed, high-gloss polished leather will look best, just like @Betelgeuse is wearing? these:

136-GOYA-BOXCALF-NEGRO-PAIR-SIDE_L.png

or, polished leather, but with a shadow:

ben-derby-shoes-4169-anil-100-5385-noir-shadow.jpg

what do you think?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this gives me a good starting point to seek some advice, I hope it will not be too much of an off-topic as I will be talking of split-toe derbies.

I possess a pair of fall-winter trousers in charcoal grey flannel, it's a proper flannely flannel with a distinct fluffy feel and a melange quality. here it is:

View attachment 1480709

having this pair of trousers made was why I bought a pair of black oxfords - a decision I, having since learned about the city-country dynamics, came to regret. I have a few tweed coats to go with these trousers, one loud double-breasted check and such like, definitely in the country territory, so I am now thinking a pair of black split-toe derbies...

the question I have is about the leather... I initially thought that grained leather, pebble-grain or scotch grain would sync well with the texture of the trousers. something like this (textures, not colours):

CarlosSantos9131Split-ToeDerbyinPetroShadowPatinaforTheNobleShoe2_4000x@2x.progressive.jpg

Sons_of_Henrey_FW2020-17_59950a2a-7e71-4b0c-9fe9-109cbf6cd532_1024x.jpg

now however I am thinking that such texture on the leather will be too in keeping with the texture of the trousers, and my thoughts are turning in a direction of contrast. perhaps indeed, high-gloss polished leather will look best, just like @Betelgeuse is wearing? these:

136-GOYA-BOXCALF-NEGRO-PAIR-SIDE_L.png

or, polished leather, but with a shadow:

ben-derby-shoes-4169-anil-100-5385-noir-shadow.jpg

what do you think?
IMO, I think split toe derbies are in the casual side of shoes, as well as flannels, so they are coherent. I think that the ones in Utah or some grained leather will look also great.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha yes, I have trouble picturing how to wear oxfords in grained uppers. Maybe with a flannel suit? Lately I have seen people wearing high shine polished smooth calf oxfords with raw denim. Not my thing. :tongue:

I think that's about the place I see it work, flannel pants (not full on tweed pants kind casual), and sports coat?

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it really a bad thing to wear flannel trousers with oxfords? I mean, if you are the kind of person who would wear oxfords with something besides a suit in the first place. (Which might mean you are in the majority.)

With derbies, I think smooth calf would be fine with those flannels. And I don't see why you couldn't do brown shoes either, if you wanted to. (Though I do love me some nice black derbies.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads