• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split Toe Derby

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How do you feel about the G&G Thorpe?

Not really into split toe boots. I have a pair of EG split toe chukkas and never really wear them. Also don't like G&G's sleeker lasts.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about the G&G Thorpe?

I am a fan and like them better than the Nevis or the other new model EG now makes. My pair in vintage oak grain is currently on order. But I un-sleeked them by going with the GG06 last, F width, stormwelt, and ridgeway sole.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incidently, you made an excellent choice here. Good sleekness with a rugged sole. No pizza slices there! ?

I think the key to s split toe derby is a slightly thicker / double sole... since it is a casual shoe and has a lot going on visually at the vamp and toe.

The double sole just give it a bit more of a balance...

Example : The EG Dover in Single and double sole

Dover_606_DKOCALF_main_1.jpg
Dover_606_DKOCALF_side_1.jpg
Dover_N1_606_DKOCALF_main.jpg
Dover_N1_606_DKOCALF_side.jpg

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Artists line by TLB has been kind of a industry disrupter recently. Offering great quality shoes at a very reasonable ans competitive price. They have a tight waist, real leather heel stiffeners, close-cut heels and first grade-leather from the well-known tanneries Annonay and Charles F. Stead.

Yesterday, they released 3 split toe derbies in their Artista line on their Goya last which is a classic round toe.

136-GOYA-ANTE-BROWN-PAIR-SIDE_L.png
136-GOYA-ANTE-BROWN-SINGLE-SIDE_L.png
136-GOYA-BOXCALF-NEGRO-LS_L.png
136-GOYA-BOXCALF-NEGRO-PAIR-SIDE_L.png
136-GOYA-BOXCALF-NEGRO-SINGLE-SIDE_L.png
136-GOYA-VEGANO-BROWN-PAIR-SIDE_L.png
136-GOYA-VEGANO-BROWN-SINGLE-SIDE_L.png
ARTISTA-CITY-SOLE-L.png

boot_owl

Reaction score

Winson’s recently completed split toes. I would say the apron line isn’t perfect yet, but the pie crust effect is admirably done. Supposedly he is in the process of making a museum calf pair that will be even better

gbandi

Reaction score
My favorites, hated split toe a year ago

Attachments

• 4FE13595-937B-40B6-9178-CB56211ED792.jpeg
    4FE13595-937B-40B6-9178-CB56211ED792.jpeg
    363.9 KB · Views: 258

gbandi

Reaction score
Two more
Alden and carmina

Attachments

• 3984F293-FE68-4B9C-AB43-87E582BA78FD.jpeg
    3984F293-FE68-4B9C-AB43-87E582BA78FD.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 238

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will begin by confessing that I had my doubts about these shoes. Mainly due to the work, leather, detailing, last, and construction at this eyebrow raising low price. Additionally, I am a Edward Green Dover diehard. That trepidation has since been abolished.

I really do enjoy these Sons of Henrey George Split Toe Derbies. They fit my higher instep. They took about 2 wears to feel fine, and after the 5th wear feel broken-in and comfortable. The leather grain is pronounced, but not overly so (like English Grain). A very soft leather. I should have figured this would have worked well because these Delapre leathers are oiled calf leathers. Which explains why the creasing (after 8 wears) is a bit more inconspicuous.

Fantastic work and kudos to you @Notch for putting out an underappreciated, and undervalued (shhhhhh keep that to yourself) shoe. :worship:

Considering the price, value offered in terms of leather quality (EG Utah is the same, I can attest to this), and construction these split toes are definitely worth my dollars. Hope you all who were on the fence picked up a pair of any of @Notch shoes during Blk Fri.

Now I have to get on board with any GMTO in llama, or pigskin, or Utah in a Burgundy color. If it exists, please let me know.

Excuse the socks (dress down day) :-D.

thumbnail_20191206_161717.jpg
thumbnail_20191206_161743.jpg
thumbnail_20191206_161658.jpg

Last edited:

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will begin by confessing that I had my doubts about these shoes. Mainly due to the work, leather, detailing, last, and construction at this eyebrow raising low price. Additionally, I am a Edward Green Dover diehard. That trepidation has since been abolished.

I really do enjoy these Sons of Henrey George Split Toe Derbies. They fit my higher instep. They took about 2 wears to feel fine, and after the 5th wear feel broken-in and comfortable. The leather grain is pronounced, but not overly so (like English Grain). A very soft leather. I should have figured this would have worked well because these Delapre leathers are oiled calf leathers. Which explains why the creasing (after 8 wears) is a bit more inconspicuous.

Fantastic work and kudos to you @Notch for putting out an underappreciated, and undervalued (shhhhhh keep that to yourself) shoe. :worship:

Considering the price, value offered in terms of leather quality (EG Utah is the same, I can attest to this), and construction these split toes are definitely worth my dollars. Hope you all who were on the fence picked up a pair of any of @Notch shoes during Blk Fri.

Now I have to get on board with any GMTO in llama, or pigskin, or Utah in a Burgundy color. If it exists, please let me know.

Excuse the socks (dress down day) :-D.

View attachment 1294134 View attachment 1294135 View attachment 1294136

SoH offer incredible value.. but for some reason i just cant convince myself to buy them coz of the machine stitched apron ..

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SoH offer incredible value.. but for some reason i just cant convince myself to buy them coz of the machine stitched apron ..

Yes I had a bit of hesitation about that myself. However, considering I have a few pairs of the StCs 575s I would be a hypocrite not to purchase these haha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads