• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split Toe Derby

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've received a pair of split toes and I have a noobish question. The leather (Horween hatch grain) has three visible creases on the toe of one of the shoes. My question is: is this an acceptable flaw, or is it atypical for a new pair of higher end shoes? I am bothered by it quite a bit, but I know I can be a bit OCD, so I wanted to gauge if my expectations are out of line when deciding whether to keep/repair them... Thanks.
View attachment 1911883

So... you didn't indicate if this pair fits well, so I'll assume that they do.
That being, this is normal.

During the creation process, makers are limited by what they can do with the celastic toe stiffeners. Therefore, the only aspect they can modify is the upper leather piece. They guess the optimal thickness level, smooth it out, and continue crafting.

How much flex that shoe will do can only be determined after the fact. They probably left it a touch too thin. Leather flexed more than anticipated. Space was created. Voilà, we have creasing.

jj02138

Reaction score
So... you didn't indicate if this pair fits well, so I'll assume that they do.
That being, this is normal.

During the creation process, makers are limited by what they can do with the celastic toe stiffeners. Therefore, the only aspect they can modify is the upper leather piece. They guess the optimal thickness level, smooth it out, and continue crafting.

How much flex that shoe will do can only be determined after the fact. They probably left it a touch too thin. Leather flexed more than anticipated. Space was created. Voilà, we have creasing.
I see, thank you... somehow never saw something like this before. The creases are visible also because they form a valley in the leather. Can a cobbler even out the surface so they sit flush with rest of the leather surface?

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've received a pair of split toes and I have a noobish question. The leather (Horween hatch grain) has three visible creases on the toe of one of the shoes. My question is: is this an acceptable flaw, or is it atypical for a new pair of higher end shoes? I am bothered by it quite a bit, but I know I can be a bit OCD, so I wanted to gauge if my expectations are out of line when deciding whether to keep/repair them... Thanks.
View attachment 1911883

What the heck. No clue what Bcoll is saying. That's an exchange. I wouldn't keep it. That divot is an eyesore.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the heck. No clue what Bcoll is saying. That's an exchange. I wouldn't keep it. That divot is an eyesore.
What do you mean? He's talking about this creasing..
That's not bad or uncommon.
20230307_141602.jpg

So you would exchange it for those creases?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see, thank you... somehow never saw something like this before. The creases are visible also because they form a valley in the leather. Can a cobbler even out the surface so they sit flush with rest of the leather surface?

You are referring to what I circled, correct? Not the discoloration, scuff, or chip of some sort (can't see clearly).

Last edited:

jj02138

Reaction score
You are referring to what I circled, correct? Not the discoloration, scuff, or chip of some sort (can't see clearly).
Yes, I am. There is no dent, it's just a reflection from when I took the photo. But the creases do form three "valleys" which make them quite noticeable. This is new to me, never saw such a flaw in any of the pictures in this thread, at least not in this area of the shoe.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am. There is no dent, it's just a reflection from when I took the photo. But the creases do form three "valleys" which make them quite noticeable. This is new to me, never saw such a flaw in any of the pictures in this thread, at least not in this area of the shoe.

I'm pretty sure I have a few pair that have those creases, but I'd have to double check. You didn't receive them this way, right? Those creases developed after a few uses?

jj02138

Reaction score
Oh wow you received them that way! Yeah, like @Schweino just mentioned, I'd return them.

My apologies. I thought you had worn them a few times, and you were inquiring because the creases developed thereafter.
Thanks for the input everyone. I thought that was the case, but I'm no expert so that's why I double checked.

jj02138

Reaction score
Who made those?
I'd rather not publicly name the maker without them having a chance to respond. Although the whole order has been a mess, the customer service has been very responsive so far, and I am in the process of returning them...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads