• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spit shine question

changy

Reaction score
This might sound like a silly question but: what's the best way to do a spitshine at home.

I'm referring to the process of dragging a footlong piece of cloth across my toes back and forth. I've been asking my gf to wear my shoes while I shine them but I think she's getting tired of it. I also tried wearing the shoes, sit on the floor and crunch over while I shine but it is an awkward position and I've not been as sucessful with the shine. Any tips would be appreciated.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe a valet box?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO, a spit shine is not needed. If you polish and use a good horsehair brush, spitshine is not necessary!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
IMO, a spit shine is not needed. If you polish and use a good horsehair brush, spitshine is not necessary!

+1 but I have done it in the past just by holding the shoe in my hand.

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by changy
This might sound like a silly question but: what's the best way to do a spitshine at home.

I'm referring to the process of dragging a footlong piece of cloth across my toes back and forth. I've been asking my gf to wear my shoes while I shine them but I think she's getting tired of it. I also tried wearing the shoes, sit on the floor and crunch over while I shine but it is an awkward position and I've not been as sucessful with the shine. Any tips would be appreciated.

Dragging a 'footlong cloth back and forth' is buff shining...spit shining is a whole different kind of hell. It takes a bit of work and practice to get good at it...

PS first things first....shoe trees....

Raralith

Reaction score
Here's a good video from Ede and Ravenscroft that Leffot posted a few years back -> http://blog.leffot.com/2008/08/27/bulling-your-shoes/

As for the spit shine aka bulling, I like it on some of my cap toes. If you've ever been to the John Lobb Botique in Costa Mesa, all the cap toes there have this particular look since the sales associate that does the shining (Hong Lee I believe) does it this way.

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raralith
Here's a good video from Ede and Ravenscroft that Leffot posted a few years back -> http://blog.leffot.com/2008/08/27/bulling-your-shoes/

As for the spit shine aka bulling, I like it on some of my cap toes. If you've ever been to the John Lobb Botique in Costa Mesa, all the cap toes there have this particular look since the sales associate that does the shining (Hong Lee I believe) does it this way.

That's a great link, though the camera man needs to learn to focus

Originally Posted by Chargersfan
Dragging a 'footlong cloth back and forth' is buff shining...spit shining is a whole different kind of hell. It takes a bit of work and practice to get good at it...

PS first things first....shoe trees....

Thanks for the clarifications. the real "spit shine" seems like a PITA.

clip

Reaction score
IMO, as ex-Army, bulling your civvy shoes is a waste of time. The amount of time you put into it for what is essentially a short-lived and impractical result. I can't see how bulled shoes will last more than an hour in the average business or social environment. Nothing looks worse than bulled toecaps with a huge gash in them where someone has stepped on your foot on the train - and its something which is completely impractical to fix at work or wherever.

If you want that look, either buy patent leather shoes, or you can go on a quest for the "bull paint" which never really works, although you'll find dozens of people that will claim that yacht varnish or Jet-fighter-nose-cone-paint does the trick.

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clip
IMO, as ex-Army, bulling your civvy shoes is a waste of time. The amount of time you put into it for what is essentially a short-lived and impractical result. I can't see how bulled shoes will last more than an hour in the average business or social environment. Nothing looks worse than bulled toecaps with a huge gash in them where someone has stepped on your foot on the train - and its something which is completely impractical to fix at work or wherever.

If you want that look, either buy patent leather shoes, or you can go on a quest for the "bull paint" which never really works, although you'll find dozens of people that will claim that yacht varnish or Jet-fighter-nose-cone-paint does the trick.

Def ex British Army.

I hear what your saying ref cracks and gashes but the secret to getting a high bulled shine on civvy shoes without the cracks n gashes is not to layer up first.

For those who don't know, when we were taught to bull our boots in the (British although I am sure the process is the same all over the world) Army we had to put layer upon layer of polish on to the leather first, letting it dry between layers, usually 15+. You then carried out the bulling procedure (as shown in leffot video above).

The initial layers of polish gave the boot a beautiful if ephemeral smooth glass like shine but the payoff is that it cracked, shattered and gouged very very easily. Perfect for pre-parade ground inspection but useless for a commute.

It is easy enough to bull ones shoes without layering up first, you'll never get the parade shine (if you'd even want it) but you will get a nice deep colour and a good shine. Remember to strip the wax off every few months in order to condition the leather.

Personally I think it looks very smart.

Raralith

Reaction score
My cap toe shines stay glossy relatively long, probably 3-4 wears, and with 10 pairs in rotation, I get a good month. I don't need to take the train or walk long distances though, I mean I get in my car, drive to work, go into my office, do work, etc... They definately last a lot longer than just a few hours though.

SilvioDante

Reaction score
Try Kiwi Parade Gloss. I use a slightly damp cotton ball, and spread a thin layer of kiwi on the shoe and buff it in a circular motion using the same cotton ball. Dont cake it on. With a little practice you'll learn to buff to a nice shine. I've been able to make some really old beat up shoes look new again. You do have to be careful, as the shoe will scuff easily. I've never had a problem with it cracking though as someone else mentioned.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
The spit shine derives from the military and is generally used in conjunction with a high-gloss "parade" model of the Kiwi brand of polish. Adding moisture adds a little exta shine. Spitting is a handy way to supply it. I use Meltonian cream (I know many SF'rs deride it as cheap, but it has been around a while is more readily available than some brands I have seen recommmended) and yes, I will spit on the area of the toe prior to buffing. I suppose a mister with water would be more hygenic, but there's only so much **** you can have in your shine box. You've always got your spit on!

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clip
IMO, as ex-Army, bulling your civvy shoes is a waste of time. The amount of time you put into it for what is essentially a short-lived and impractical result. I can't see how bulled shoes will last more than an hour in the average business or social environment. Nothing looks worse than bulled toecaps with a huge gash in them where someone has stepped on your foot on the train - and its something which is completely impractical to fix at work or wherever. If you want that look, either buy patent leather shoes, or you can go on a quest for the "bull paint" which never really works, although you'll find dozens of people that will claim that yacht varnish or Jet-fighter-nose-cone-paint does the trick.
I'm ex-military too (if you want to count a 3 year hitch here and in SE Asia). But I learned to spitshine Corcorans, and consequently other shoes, while serving stateside (forget spitshining jungle boots). As mentioned, if you build a spitshine slowly it will last. My wife and I dance almost every weekend and I don't have to renew my spitshines more than once every couple of months. They aren't pristine mind you...nothing could be in that environment...but a quick, light-handed buff with a woman's nylon will restore the shine almost 99%. There's lots of ways of "faking" a spitshine...or hurrying it. And they all probably work. But trying to sidestep the time and the "work" only results in a much more fragile shine and/or one that isn't quite "right," as who should say.

ktrp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Petrus
Why isn't she shining your shoes? You must be a ***** whipped mangina brought up by an unwed mama
lol8[1].gif

You've met a woman who can shine shoes? You sure its not a post-op transexual?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads