1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Spit Shine and Hot Sunny Day

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HitMan009, Jun 15, 2005.

1. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior Member

Yesterday, while I was outside in NYC on a street bench admiring the scenery during lunch time, I began to see my gleaming glossy spit shine melt away under the heat of the sun... What gives? Is this normal?

2. johnw86

johnw86 Senior Member

I heard it was hot yesterday on the east coast, but it melted your shine?.? [​IMG]

3. bch

bch Senior Member

Too much polish, maybe? Would it come off on a clean rag?

4. gardel

gardel Well-Known Member

I've heard of guys using a hair dryer to force the leather to absorb the wax. Perhaps you've found a natural variant of this technique?

5. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior Member

I went home, let the shoes dry out for a few hours and put the shoe in front of my AC for a couple of minutes. Â After that, wipe the shoe clean with a damp rag and applied a new coat of wax polish. Â The results were nothing sort of amazing. Â I got a better shine with just a few buffs using nylon hosiery then any other time. [​IMG] I use Kiwi wax polish and Meltonian shoe cream exclusively on all my shoes. But after reading Riders comments on leather conditioner/cleaner, I am tempted to buy some Lexol right away.

6. Teacher

Teacher Stylish Dinosaur

As bch said, it does sound like there was a wax buildup. Be sure to strip the wax away once in a while; your leather will breathe better, and your shines will look nicer.

7. bch

bch Senior Member

Best shine I get is by lighting can of Kiwi afire with a match. Snuff out with lid. Apply melted wax with horsehair applictor. Allow to dry for a couple hours. Buff with horsehair brush and cloth diaper to remove any excess.

8. Teacher

Teacher Stylish Dinosaur

Cloth diaper? Good Lord, man, where do you even find something like that any more? At any rate, I use one of my wife's old flannel (and ugly) night gowns. The day she offered it for my shoe box, I cut it up with such zest, fervor, and gusto that she has yet to replace it. Good.

9. bch

bch Senior Member

(bch @ June 16 2005,12:26) Best shine I get is by lighting can of Kiwi afire with a match. Snuff out with lid. Apply melted wax with horsehair applictor. Allow to dry for a couple hours. Buff with horsehair brush and cloth diaper to remove any excess.
    Cloth diaper? Good Lord, man, where do you even find something like that any more? At any rate, I use one of my wife's old flannel (and ugly) night gowns. The day she offered it for my shoe box, I cut it up with such zest, fervor, and gusto that she has yet to replace it. Good.
    They still sell them at baby stores, but most parents just use them as burp cloths nowadays. The disposables just don't give the shine I'm looking for.