• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spilled olive oil on shell cordovan shoes!

Thread Killer

Reaction score
I just spilled a few drops of olive oil on a pair of Alden shell wingtips. How screwed am I? Will anything lift the oil out?
frown.gif

asparagoose

Reaction score
If I were you, I would try denatured alcohol (maybe cut with water)- perhaps dabbed on a cloth rather than poured/sprayed on- and *tested on a small, hard-to-see area, first.*

If that doesn't work, maybe brake cleaner- in very sparing quantities and don't spray it right on.

well-kept

Reaction score
Apply baking soda or any kind of powder. Leave it on the stain for a few hours. It will absorb the oil.

Thread Killer

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback all. I put a little cornstarch on the spots and rubbed a bit to heat up the leather and try to lift some of the oil out. I can only see the spots when I put my face six inches away from the vamp, and I'm hoping that over time the spots will fade. I'm going to climb off the ledge now.

From now on, I'll only cook in Kenneth Coles.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Glad it worked out. In the future, for tough fresh stains try these methods:

1. Dab some rubber cement over the stained area. Let dry over nite. Remove the cement with crepe or a similar type of rubber. Polish
2. An easier less effective way is saturate the area with cat liter. Let stand for a few hours. Remove and polish.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I agree most with sho'nuff.

OTOH shampoo deals with oil pretty well. The question is how will the shoes react to the shampoo?

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
I know for when i get it on clothes that simple dishwashing liquid works with a bit of water.

I agree with the dishwashing liquid. I have used it it on tan calf to get out grease stains from a barbecue accident
eh.gif

I thoroughly wet the leather with warm water...worked in the dish liquid, scrubbed with a sponge and then thoroughly rinsed with warm water. Toweled dry and inserted shoes trees to let fully dry over night.

It did take out a bit of the color but that was restored with some shoe cream. It took out the grease stain.
bounce2.gif

adagio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harrydog
I agree with the dishwashing liquid. I have used it it on tan calf to get out grease stains from a barbecue accident
eh.gif

I thoroughly wet the leather with warm water...worked in the dish liquid, scrubbed with a sponge and then thoroughly rinsed with warm water. Toweled dry and inserted shoes trees to let fully dry over night.

It did take out a bit of the color but that was restored with some shoe cream. It took out the grease stain.
bounce2.gif

+1 I got this tip from a sales person in Crockett and Jones. Worked really well on a pair of tan C&Js.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nick,

got a drop of pizza grease on a suede boot. Took them to a guy who scrubbed both boots and the spot is lighter (as are the boots) but still visible. Do you have any magic that will work or do I just downgrade them into garden shoes.

lefty

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole point of patina is to accumulate these sorts of things in one place. The very meaning of style is just letting it be and going fourth with your olive oiled shoes, your pizza grease splattered suede, and the likes in a manner that would never point to distress over the appearance of any showing of normal life and wear. Years and years down the road your shoes will look amazing.
Trying to completely eliminate these marks of wear just makes the shoes look worse...ROCK THE FLAW.

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
The whole point of patina is to accumulate these sorts of things in one place. The very meaning of style is just letting it be and going fourth with your olive oiled shoes, your pizza grease splattered suede, and the likes in a manner that would never point to distress over the appearance of any showing of normal life and wear. Years and years down the road your shoes will look amazing.
Trying to completely eliminate these marks of wear just makes the shoes look worse...ROCK THE FLAW.

Do you apply the same rationale to removing stains from clothes? If not, why the difference?

I see scuffing as wear and tear that is not reversible. That does lend shoes great character over time. If a stain can be removed, I clean the shoe.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Nick,

got a drop of pizza grease on a suede boot. Took them to a guy who scrubbed both boots and the spot is lighter (as are the boots) but still visible. Do you have any magic that will work or do I just downgrade them into garden shoes.

lefty

Hi Lefty--

Suede is a lot harder to work with. In general the fresher the stain, the better the chance of good results. But, try this:

1. Brush out the entire shoe with a nylon suede suede brush. Spread talc powder over the soiled area let stand over night. Brush off the talc. Or--
2. Get some Lincoln E-Z Cleaner and apply as directed. Make sure that you do the entire pair not the affected area this way you avoid a ring from forming.

The shoe guy may have driven the stain deeper. So If you see good results with process #1. repeat if necessary. Also, depending on the color, Meltonian and Punch both make a suede renew. I like the Punch better. If you can match the color treat the pair as directed with it. Even if you can slightly see the stain, the suede spray will help mask it further.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
Hi Lefty--

Suede is a lot harder to work with. In general the fresher the stain, the better the chance of good results. But, try this:

1. Brush out the entire shoe with a nylon suede suede brush. Spread talc powder over the soiled area let stand over night. Brush off the talc. Or--
2. Get some Lincoln E-Z Cleaner and apply as directed. Make sure that you do the entire pair not the affected area this way you avoid a ring from forming.

The shoe guy may have driven the stain deeper. So If you see good results with process #1. repeat if necessary. Also, depending on the color, Meltonian and Punch both make a suede renew. I like the Punch better. If you can match the color treat the pair as directed with it. Even if you can slightly see the stain, the suede spray will help mask it further.

Thanks, Nick. The stain is a few weeks old, so I'm not sure if the talc will work, but I'll give it a shot. My guess is that he used a cleaner on the boots as the colour changed and the nap is lessened.

Originally Posted by antirabbit

So I should treat them as I do my soul?

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics