• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man these full canvas suits hit all the sartorial notes. I have two neo suits in the same colors from v1 and v2. I was thinking those would be my staples for the rest of my life! Now I have to reconsider trading up.

Thilgela

Reaction score
@SpierTeam will the boxing/Christmas day sale apply to full canvas suits/MTO suits or will they still be excluded?

Trying to gauge if I should pull the triggers now.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent.

If I ever get the chance, I'll whip it out and tell my tailor to have my lapels longer than my member.

No one will ever expect that I'm over-compensating!

Now is also a good time to beat my dead horse and point out, once again, that the “Neapolitan cut” is actually more Florentine.

And those jackets tend to hover around 4”:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now is also a good time to beat my dead horse and point out, once again, that the “Neapolitan cut” is actually more Florentine.

And those jackets tend to hover around 4”:

Interesting, that's good to know.

Is there an actual "Neapolitan" cut?

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, that's good to know.

Is there an actual "Neapolitan" cut?

I think DieWorkwear has written a lot about this and the answer is basically “no?” As I understand it the modern “Neapolitan cut” is just characterized by a wider lapel, more open quarters, and a soft or unpadded shoulder with pleating in some form (camicia, morbida, insellata, rollino, rigatoni, whatever). But things like lapel shape, gorge height, shoulder extension seem to vary wildly. And my understanding is that the previous comments about earlier Neapolitan jackets (eg Attolini, Rubinacci Sr.) having a more standard lapel width are basically correct: in the 1950s(?) Attolini et al just took the more modest English jacket and ripped all the padding and guts out of it to suit their environment.

Still, I think the Neo cut that Spier produces is closer to Florence. I’ve only ever seen that intense negative belly paired with the hard 3r2.5 on Florentine jackets. I’d guess the “Neapolitan” association comes from Ciongoli’s Eidos (owned by Naples-based Isaia) jacket patterns, which are just riffs on Liverano.

I don’t profess to be an expert on this ****, but that’s my reading.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and a soft or unpadded shoulder with pleating in some form (camicia, morbida, insellata, rollino, rigatoni, whatever).

Any idea which brands or shops offer rigatoni shoulder pleating? Asking for a friend...

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea which brands or shops offer rigatoni shoulder pleating? Asking for a friend...

You have to ask for the full suit.

induere_to

Reaction score
Attolini’s tucks would fall into the skirting of a jacket, but Florentine jackets are referenced to not have any darting on the front panel of their jackets at all.

Spier does neither.

Honestly speaking tho, Spier’s Neapolitan cut is actually Chinese ?.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What I wore from last week. New jacket, Neapolitan lapels but not shoulders

4889642F-FC09-4811-B9E5-00F3C9545B5E.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads