• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Imperatores

Reaction score
Fit pic of the peacoat. Sleeves can come down about an inch per S&M. If I sized up it would be way too long but the chest pockets and belt seem a tad high. This thing is HEAVY

Other than the sleeves and body length, it looks just sligthly big overall imo. Mine is at the tailor (shortening the sleeves and taking in the waist), but we seem to have a similar issue with the chest being quite roomy. That was the only real issue with mine that wasn't a simple fix. Beyond that it's probably the best fitting peacoat I've ever tried. It's a great looking coat.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@SpierTeam

As the dust after Black friday is setteling i wonder if we can think about SS20?

Earlier Rick has asked if anyone has any wishes.

I wish for a cotton olive neo/high rise suit or atleast an olive cotton fabric in mtm.

Terry cloth polos would also be nice.

Contango

Reaction score
I haven’t but not a bad idea. Thanks!
Or buy a label maker....

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody size down on the polo coats if they're just wearing a sweater underneath (no suits or sportcoats)? I apologize if this has been asked before -- I'm not online a lot!

I think in this case your regular size is the right move as opposed to sizing down.

MellonC

Reaction score
Did you go slim or contemp? In my eyes, Spier contemp is slim fit. At best you'll be able to pull out 1/2" diameter out of the legs. I've done it, but didn't take it anywhere so can't give an idea of cost.
Have S&M ever made a safari jacket? I would love to see their take on something like a tweed safari jacket for the next fall/winter season.

... or even a linen safari jacket

MellonC

Reaction score
Shirt size conundrum:

I'm lost on the Contemporary shirt sizing. It seems the SP Contemp's have 4 inch drop in from chest to waist. But checking some other brands they make do with 2 to 3 inches.... E.g. C. Thyrwhitt is 3 inch drop on the Slim shirts (the most comparable in terms of sizing). Eton Contemp line is only 2.75 inch drop and Brooks Brothers Regent line is just 2 inch drop. It's Milano line is actually only 1 inch drop.

I personally find Thyrwhitt drop of 3 inches is bit a tight on the stomach (when I sit and slouch) and pretty much shows my fat rolls and get spider marks around my buttons. Yet, the chest area is somewhat big. BB Milano fits perfect. This must be due to my girth in the middle section and skinny torso. But @spiermackay must know there are plenty of guys like me. We could use a "skinny fat" fit or "round" fit......

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shirt size conundrum:

I'm lost on the Contemporary shirt sizing. It seems the SP Contemp's have 4 inch drop in from chest to waist. But checking some other brands they make do with 2 to 3 inches.... E.g. C. Thyrwhitt is 3 inch drop on the Slim shirts (the most comparable in terms of sizing). Eton Contemp line is only 2.75 inch drop and Brooks Brothers Regent line is just 2 inch drop. It's Milano line is actually only 1 inch drop.

I personally find Thyrwhitt drop of 3 inches is bit a tight on the stomach (when I sit and slouch) and pretty much shows my fat rolls and get spider marks around my buttons. Yet, the chest area is somewhat big. BB Milano fits perfect. This must be due to my girth in the middle section and skinny torso. But @spiermackay must know there are plenty of guys like me. We could use a "skinny fat" fit or "round" fit......
If you don't fit their OTR offerings, this is your solution.

JFK-esque

Reaction score
Anyone know if standard manufacturing tolerances are from item to item or even the same item. Basically the Navy vbc neo is noticably tighter and smaller then the one in grey. Just wondering exchanging for another one in same size may be different

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads