• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received my first S&M sportcoat and am pleasently surprised with the fit and quality. Will be adding several sportcoats from S&M over time. When does S&M usually add new garments to the collection? Is it before every season, regularly or randomly?

Reactions: 1up

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typically before every season...

Probably some deep discounts coming up for Black Friday (29-Nov-2019) as a heads-up..

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Probably some deep discounts coming up for Black Friday (29-Nov-2019) as a heads-up..
Thanks. I have discount codes so I'll just use them before the upcoming sales so that I don't miss out on my size, haha.

weissmenswear

Reaction score
Thanks. I have discount codes so I'll just use them before the upcoming sales so that I don't miss out on my size, haha.

good call. If there’s one thing you’ll learn quickly in this thread, it’s that the best fabrics go FAST and you may only have 24-36hrs to grab your size once a new piece drops. You’ll start refreshing the “new arrivals” page out of habit like too many of us here ?

EddieK

Reaction score
Is that a humblebrag? You're too brolic for Spier and Mackay? ?

Is it too much to tailor down if you size up for your shoulders?

Haha I wish!
Actually I have the worst of both worlds. Wide shoulders that can't fit OTR, but also if you look at my pics, it doesn't look wide at all. Got some messed up physiology. So it's not even like a +

OTR, my shoulders fit perfectly in 40/38.
But rest of my torso is closer to 34/36. I think it's too much to get tailored if I get a 38/40 jacket

tennessee

Reaction score
How do the polo shirts fit? I'm a 40r the contemporary neapolitan blazer was a touch roomy for me.
You should be fine in a Large if you prefer a trim for and air dry only. I’m a slim 42 and wear an XL. I find it easier to size up then dry it if it needs a little shrinking.

sao

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there will be any Grenadine or similar ties arriving? White pocket squares?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha I wish!
Actually I have the worst of both worlds. Wide shoulders that can't fit OTR, but also if you look at my pics, it doesn't look wide at all. Got some messed up physiology. So it's not even like a +

OTR, my shoulders fit perfectly in 40/38.
But rest of my torso is closer to 34/36. I think it's too much to get tailored if I get a 38/40 jacket
If your shoulders fit a 40 OTR, there’s a reason they don’t “look” wide.
I may be missing something, but is this not the standard RTW drop sizing?
Unless you have preferences that trend GQ level slim, I can’t foresee any reason a normal sized 40 wouldn’t work perfectly well for you. I have wider chest/shoulders and a slimmer waist, and find SM’s RTW sizing quite flattering.

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
I'm assuming this strip of fabric is to help the trouser slip on easier/not ride up? Even my Luxire trousers don't have this. Anyways, it's the first time I've seen this on a pair of trousers.

Attachments

• 20191123_183203.jpg
    20191123_183203.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 99

EddieK

Reaction score
If your shoulders fit a 40 OTR, there’s a reason they don’t “look” wide.
I may be missing something, but is this not the standard RTW drop sizing?
Unless you have preferences that trend GQ level slim, I can’t foresee any reason a normal sized 40 wouldn’t work perfectly well for you. I have wider chest/shoulders and a slimmer waist, and find SM’s RTW sizing quite flattering.

I'm 5 3". Shoulder width almost at 18 inch.
Average width for men is around 16-17 inches. And this is for average height men.
My chest is 36inch
Waist about 31, to give you an idea.

I've tried OTR sizing in person at the store. The 38 and especially 40 is way too big everywhere.
Sleeves and jacket length go WAY too long.

nietorpyehw

Reaction score

How much do the jackets go for usually? I'm used to paying $200-250 for SuitSupply when they have their semi annual.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics