• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a new customer who needed to size down half a size and S&M not having the size till spring kinda sucks. How do you not have basic white shirts constantly in stock.
Demand and supply in Spier’s case the demand exceeds what is stocked most of the time.
Made to measure is also an option if waiting till spring is not an option.

All the best!

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my tailor didn't think it was a pressing issue, so we measured everything and we compared it to the specs. Front rise is 0.65" too short, inseam is 0.5" too short (so totals 1.15"), hip is 1.5" wider than spec and thigh is 1" wider than spec. This explains all the wrinkling in front, and the length (if the hip/thigh was narrower, it would fall down straighter and would add more length beyond the 1.15").
That sounds like what’s causing the issue, I bet my specs are off in a similar fashion to yours. Is it something that can be fixed?

With things like the extended belt loop missing when that’s something that’s available on all their OTR high rise trousers. Also requesting the same size trousers as OTR but not exactly getting that, it’s making me think that it’s probably a different factory or a different group within the same factory handling MTO but I could be wrong.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds like what’s causing the issue, I bet my specs are off in a similar fashion to yours. Is it something that can be fixed?

With things like the extended belt loop missing when that’s something that’s available on all their OTR high rise trousers. Also requesting the same size trousers as OTR but not exactly getting that, it’s making me think that it’s probably a different factory or a different group within the same factory handling MTO but I could be wrong.
Did you both just order an inbetweener trouser size, like a 37, or did you tinker with the pattern?
Me, I'm afraid to do the latter, because I'm sure that my tinkering would unintentionally throw something out of whack in the pattern

ElliotG

Reaction score
Did you both just order an inbetweener trouser size, like a 37, or did you tinker with the pattern?
Me, I'm afraid to do the latter, because I'm sure that my tinkering would unintentionally throw something out of whack in the pattern

By "tinker" do you mean use the measurement adjustments S&M provides in the MTO customization area, or do you mean asking for something "off-menu" in the order comments?

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered the same exact size I take OTR as it’s a perfect fit. The only thing I requested since it’s an available option is to make the rise 1” longer. But in my case, the rise was around .625 shorter than what I requested. I did take an in between size for the jacket and the fit is on point.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By "tinker" do you mean use the measurement adjustments S&M provides in the MTO customization area, or do you mean asking for something "off-menu" in the order comments?
Supplying measurements in lieu of those supplied for the size designated

dluce76

Reaction score
Supplying measurements in lieu of those supplied for the size designated
Oh I tinkered. But, the key here is the tinkering was not done as specified.

I reached out for a remake. Tailor didn't think the wrinkling was fixable, and extending the length would mess up the cuff.

Last edited:

EddieK

Reaction score
Not sure if this was posted already but I got their promo today and Spier is doing 25% off all sale items this weekend!
Some sale suits are already like 200USD/300CAD. And after 25% off you're getting it for like $150.
Use Code: Sale25

EddieK

Reaction score
Ok, let's put an end to the Great Overcoat Sizing Debate! (maybe?)

For reference, I'm 5'11/195ish and wear a 42L in Spier and Mackay. Last year I bought the grey Zanieri herringbone polo coat in size 42. I can fit a sportcoat/suit jacket underneath and still button the buttons, but it is a little snug with the layers underneath. Mobility in the shoulders is ok, but when driving for example, feels a little restricted. The upside of course is the tailored silhouette.

This year I bought the camel DB coat and decided to size up to 44. There is no pulling (as expected) with just a sweater underneath, nor is the coat snug buttoning with a jacket underneath - pictured below I am wearing the cable knit sweater as well as the sweater plus a sportcoat. You can see the sportcoat sleeves inside the overcoat sleeves if you look closely. In the 44, movement in the shoulders is improved, and the back skirt stays closed better, something to consider for us men with larger rear ends. I also don't think only wearing a sweater or other light layer underneath the larger coat makes it seem slouchy or too big by any means.

Sweater only under the coat.

View attachment 1283419 View attachment 1283420 View attachment 1283421

Sweater plus sportcoat under the coat:

View attachment 1283422 View attachment 1283423

Pardon the wrinkles, this is basically out of the box without the coat having a chance to hang up yet. I think for me, not necessarily looking for a very tailored fit (beyond how Spier cuts these coats which I think is quite flattering as is), would suggest a size up whether or not you plan to layer. The mobility and comfort knowing I won't be stressing any buttons should I choose to really bundle up are definite pros for me. If you're usually in Spier slim fits you can probably get away with taking the same size as your sportcoats. I could probably nip the waist if I really wanted to, but this is outerwear, I'm not hard pressed to do that. I wouldn't mind more length in the coat either, but that may be nitpicking. All in all I think there's great value here. Now go forth and buy up these coats!

*Final thought as I re-read my post. The left side (wearing) pocket may be a hair lower than the right. This could be exacerbated by how I'm standing, but I'm sure someone will be along to draw colored lines so we can all weigh in :)

EDIT: I went back and looked at the pictures on SM's website. It looks like the product photos show uneven pockets, I wonder if it's a pattern issue...

This drives me nuts!
You guys can get such a great fit OTR. I can never find anything my size because my shoulder width is too wide...

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that a humblebrag? You're too brolic for Spier and Mackay? ?

Is it too much to tailor down if you size up for your shoulders?
We found #shoulderbrah
This drives me nuts!
You guys can get such a great fit OTR. I can never find anything my size because my shoulder width is too wide...
IIRC, you live in Toronto right? This sounds like a perfect opportunity for MTM for you, and pics for us.

iloveplaid

Reaction score
How do the polo shirts fit? I'm a 40r the contemporary neapolitan blazer was a touch roomy for me.

Contango

Reaction score
How much fabric is there to let out on their sports coat sleeves? Thinking of trying a 34 slim, but would need at least an inch longer on the sleeves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads