• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

abantigen

Reaction score
Looks like Rick hasn't been checking in on this thread lately but here is his response to a 4-year old reddit AMA question regarding working conditions in factories that make SM garments. If I remember correctly they only work with factories in China now.

Both factories that we have partnered with in India and China adhere to all local and international labour laws and inspected regularly through Intertek. Our Chinese partner is ISO certified and requires such certifications for their export permits. I can arrange a list of the certifications from them and report back on the specifics.
Our Indian factory in particular is very interesting. As we only work with 17 tailors, each of a very high skill level, they dictate to the factory what their salary will be, what their hours will be, etc. If their requirements are not met, they simply will leave. We do not employ machine operators. All are highly skilled tailors, each capable of drafting the pattern, cutting, sewing and finishing the shirt on their own. Such is the case, we value them very highly to carry out our work. Some have been with us since we first started.

Not going to lie, when I first heard about SM I was skeptical but once I started trying some items the quality spoke for itself. I think their business model is also obvious enough that poor treatment of work wouldn’t be the first thing I think of when I wonder how they can provide so much value.

Yes the working conditions are probably not as great as first-world countries but I think we can safely say it's not Nike level bad considering tailors are much higher skilled than the average worker making sneakers.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In

Very nice. Great tie, too. From where did you get it?
Thanks. CT

I have a hard time gauging just how dark this is. At times it looks like a dark grey with only very limited green. Other times, the green stands out more. What's your take on general?
It’s a mix of emerald and charcoal fibers which from a distance looks very dark green. My phone reduces everything to gray shades.

ElliotG

Reaction score
Can anyone with the Botto high-rise flannels comment on roominess in the thigh/seat and or the "give" of the material? How "comfy" are these pants compared to S&M's worsted contemporary trousers?

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the green Guabello high rise flannel trousers and they are now my new favorite. Generously cut and nice high rise. I'm thinking of ordering a pair of the Botto's on today's flash sale.

Last edited:

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone with the Botto high-rise flannels comment on roominess in the thigh/seat and or the "give" of the material? How "comfy" are these pants compared to S&M's worsted contemporary trousers?
I have the medium brown. They are the best fitting OTR I’ve picked up thigh room wise. Definitely a soft material with decent give.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fits just like their hi rise summer weight stuff. Plenty roomy in my normal SM fit.

It’s very comfortable as far as I am concerned. But it is also thick old school flannel so it’s not going to feel like smooth 130s worsted wool. I am ecstatic about the army green Bottos, but I really like thick winter fabrics.

The medium brown sold out in my size in about 2 days or I’d have bagged them too.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a possibly fair statement. However, what @Spaghettimatt said was a completely accurate assessment of the discussion so far. Basically, a bunch of non sequiturs and emotional nonsense led us to where we are.

I received my most recent pair of MTM trousers yesterday. I found the price to be fair, and while the fit is good and my instructions were mostly followed, Epstein didn't kill himself.
Damn, I read the whole thing.

u win this round.

RyanChiato

Reaction score
Can anyone compare the sport coat fit of Spier and Mackays Slim fit to Brooks Bros Milano fit??

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone compare the sport coat fit of Spier and Mackays Slim fit to Brooks Bros Milano fit??
Milano fit is much slimmer than SM slim Neo cut in size 40. I needed 41 in Milano to not be too tight around the shoulders and the arm holes seem to be higher/slimmer as well.

Spex

Reaction score
I got the green Guabello high rise flannel trousers and they are now my new favorite. Generously cut and nice high rise. I'm thinking of ordering a pair of the Botto's on today's flash sale.

Are you referring to these?

I bought these during the sale. THe description doesn't say "flannel" however they are like a light-weight flannel. Perfect fall/winter trousers for those of us who like the look but don't need the warmth. They are also a fairly dark colour, so not too dandyish.

RyanChiato

Reaction score
Milano fit is much slimmer than SM slim Neo cut in size 40. I needed 41 in Milano to not be too tight around the shoulders and the arm holes seem to be higher/slimmer as well.

Appreciate the feedback. At 6’1 170lbs the Milano 40 is a good fit. Guessing I will need a 38 in SM Neo cut

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to these?

Yes,

I bought these during the sale. THe description doesn't say "flannel" however they are like a light-weight flannel. Perfect fall/winter trousers for those of us who like the look but don't need the warmth. They are also a fairly dark colour, so not too dandyish.
Sorry...they are a flannel (ish) to me. Definitely not worsted but lighter than true single season flannel.

bantone

Reaction score
Could someone fill me in on the quality of the S&M Turtlenecks and how they feel? Any pictures appreciated.

pickergc

Reaction score
Cream flannels, neo hopsack, bengal stripe, mustache maint.

Pickering_November-60.jpg

Pickering_November-61.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads