• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump.

Any experience with the longer button down collars or requesting that the collars be unlined despite the standard offering being a lined collar?

Thank you.
With MTM they will customize the collar to your specs. If you want it completely unlined, say so in the notes/comments field before checkout. If you want something really custom, like a different collar shape or size, you should reach out via DM here to @induere_to or @spiermackay and find out if they can do what you want.

jch1

Reaction score
This is going to sound stupid. Do the polo coats have two pockets, one on top of each-other? Meaning is there a second pocket behind the flap pocket? I don't want to attempt to cut this seam and it just be for the patch.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound stupid. Do the polo coats have two pockets, one on top of each-other? Meaning is there a second pocket behind the flap pocket? I don't want to attempt to cut this seam and it just be for the patch.

No- the only pocket is the flap part

yungchomsky

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback — emailing with customer support about the missing belt loops and waiting to see how it can be addressed.

I totally understand that fabric varies, and SM never represented the trousers as being a match for my existing jacket (so I didn’t mention that in my email
to them), just hoped it might work out that way.

Tangentially, I agree that labor conditions in the garment industry (and all industries!) is a topic well worth discussing, and always appreciate transparency on that front.

varsityreds0123

Reaction score
The assertion that factories in China or abroad in general have less quality control than American or Italian factories is more myth than fact. Some factories in China are truly “premier”, and comparable to some of the more reputable factories making men’s clothing. You get what you pay for.

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
Maybe I'm a bit colorblind, because I don't see any green in that photo... only gray with a tinge of blue.
Yeah, it's hard to see the green, unless it's in real life, under certain light. That, or using a good camera with proper lighting, as seen on S&M's site.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The assertion that factories in China or abroad in general have less quality control than American or Italian factories is more myth than fact. Some factories in China are truly “premier”, and comparable to some of the more reputable factories making men’s clothing. You get what you pay for.

For real. Isn't RRL made in China?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's hard to see the green, unless it's in real life, under certain light. That, or using a good camera with proper lighting, as seen on S&M's site.

it’s funny you say that. I asked the original question precisely because I don’t see much (any?) green in the pics on the S&M site.

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
it’s funny you say that. I asked the original question precisely because I don’t see much (any?) green in the pics on the S&M site.
Really? It looks quite green to me, like that of a mint leaf (hence the name). Could be a touch of color blindness?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? It looks quite green to me, like that of a mint leaf (hence the name). Could be a touch of color blindness?

well I’m looking at the trousers. But, yes, they look predominantly grey to me. Which is great if true. I wouldn’t buy them if they were too green.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 0.02 cents ..

Treated ‘fairly’ is a very loose benchmark. Many factory towns in India and China have workers with happiness index that probably surpasses that from Italy .. They are still poor by western definition but it may be a huge improvement if you were in abject poverty 20 years back and can now expect to have health insurance, education and future for your kids.. that can matter a lot!

I would go on a limb to say that even if you buy Kiton, BC or Isaia, you do practically nothing to ensure fair treatment of workers ... workers will always be those on hourly wages, some earning a few bucks more than others but majority of profits will get diverted to shareholders and upper tier mgmt. Income has no correlation with skill and manual effort in present society.

The only way to truly have fair and square treatment of workers is to have some form of profit sharing amongst every worker in the manufacturing chain. That of course is against the very idea of capitalism ..

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, let's put an end to the Great Overcoat Sizing Debate! (maybe?)

For reference, I'm 5'11/195ish and wear a 42L in Spier and Mackay. Last year I bought the grey Zanieri herringbone polo coat in size 42. I can fit a sportcoat/suit jacket underneath and still button the buttons, but it is a little snug with the layers underneath. Mobility in the shoulders is ok, but when driving for example, feels a little restricted. The upside of course is the tailored silhouette.

This year I bought the camel DB coat and decided to size up to 44. There is no pulling (as expected) with just a sweater underneath, nor is the coat snug buttoning with a jacket underneath - pictured below I am wearing the cable knit sweater as well as the sweater plus a sportcoat. You can see the sportcoat sleeves inside the overcoat sleeves if you look closely. In the 44, movement in the shoulders is improved, and the back skirt stays closed better, something to consider for us men with larger rear ends. I also don't think only wearing a sweater or other light layer underneath the larger coat makes it seem slouchy or too big by any means.

Sweater only under the coat.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Sweater plus sportcoat under the coat:

4.jpg
5.jpg

Pardon the wrinkles, this is basically out of the box without the coat having a chance to hang up yet. I think for me, not necessarily looking for a very tailored fit (beyond how Spier cuts these coats which I think is quite flattering as is), would suggest a size up whether or not you plan to layer. The mobility and comfort knowing I won't be stressing any buttons should I choose to really bundle up are definite pros for me. If you're usually in Spier slim fits you can probably get away with taking the same size as your sportcoats. I could probably nip the waist if I really wanted to, but this is outerwear, I'm not hard pressed to do that. I wouldn't mind more length in the coat either, but that may be nitpicking. All in all I think there's great value here. Now go forth and buy up these coats!

*Final thought as I re-read my post. The left side (wearing) pocket may be a hair lower than the right. This could be exacerbated by how I'm standing, but I'm sure someone will be along to draw colored lines so we can all weigh in :)

EDIT: I went back and looked at the pictures on SM's website. It looks like the product photos show uneven pockets, I wonder if it's a pattern issue...

Last edited:

Marshdrifter

Reaction score
Got the email notice about the VBC flannels today and the grey 30 slims were sold out by the time I got home from work. You guys need to seriously consider stocking more 30 slims. The only pair of trousers I've bought this year from S&M were the green five-pocket cords, but not for lack of trying. I've missed out on probably five other pairs because they've all been sold out within a few days of dropping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads