• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I jumped on the MTO program when it first went live and ordered a pair of trousers in the Brisbane Moss fawn corduroy. I received them today and they're a pretty good fit but I have a couple of concerns.

The one unfortunate issue is that I ordered the trousers with belt loops, but they arrived with no belt loops or side adjusters. Not really sure how this can be fixed -- I guess I could have the waist taken in slightly and just wear them sans any waist adjustment. Kind of a bummer though. I've emailed SM about this and am waiting to hear back.

Apart from that: I already owned the corduroy jacket from last year in the same fabric, and ordered these trousers with the hope that I could wear them as separates or as a suit. The trouser fabric has the same SKU as the jacket. However, they don't quite seem to match -- the trousers seem lighter and more yellowish vs. the deeper gold hue in the jacket. Here's a shot of where the trousers hit the jacket that shows the difference:

View attachment 1282804

So was it naive to think that the trousers and jacket purchased separately would match, given that the fabric is supposed to be the same? Is there anything I could possible do to the trousers that would make them look more like the jacket (which color I prefer)? Or are these just going to have to be separates?
You have to send the trousers back for the belt loops. How does that happen?

As for the color mis-match, I think you did take a risk there by buying them at different times. But if the MTO fabric is just left-over, unused from last year's RTW offering (which was my understanding), I don't understand how the colors could be different. Your jacket and pants should come from the same run, right?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both issues are completely unacceptable.

I wonder what the working conditions are like in the Chinese and Indian factories.
I’ll agree on the belt loops being an issue, but even if the SKU is the same, there can be variation in different dye lots. The mid gray VBC jacket from last year that S&M accidentally sent me was a slightly different shade than the mid gray of this year’s pants, even though the fabric was the same. I wouldnt be upset about the variation unless it was specifically advertised as suit separates.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an "in the wild" photo of the mint green flannel trousers? Or can someone at least tell me just how green they are, vs. grey?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
S&M jacket, denim shirt and chinos.

b18b23a371e18280656f0fce79c418602a08ff62.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me out here:

I was perusing Spier & Mackay's collar options for their shirts (MTM) and was wondering if anyone could share with me their photos of an Italian button down collar and the large Italian button down collar. The difference is 3 3/4 vs 4 1/8, respectively.

I absolutely love collar roll and would wear these with and without a tie.... I currently have a few BD collars shirts that top out at 3 7/8 and they are rolltastic.

I think I also read somewhere that you could request that these shirts have unlined collars, despite the website saying that it's a stiff fused collar. Is that correct? Also, are the shirts all must iron, unless the website explicitly says otherwise? Finally, where are the shirts actually made?

Many, many thanks for your expertise; I may have found a rabbit hole which I cannot escape from. :violin:

~savvy

Bump.

Any experience with the longer button down collars or requesting that the collars be unlined despite the standard offering being a lined collar?

Thank you.

WarrenG

Reaction score
Anyone have an "in the wild" photo of the mint green flannel trousers? Or can someone at least tell me just how green they are, vs. grey?

Same question. I almost pulled the trigger on these yesterday and then the gray flannel restock email hit last night and I couldn't order those fast enough. Wondering how similar they are in the wild?

hopsack74

Reaction score
Yes, I noticed this too. I have the same Zignone blue herringbone in 40R slim and the lapel measures a full 4”

Looks very similar to the Neo cut, but no 3 roll 2.

I’m not complaining at all, I’m a fan and if anyone was holding off on this one because it wasn’t a Neapolitan cut, you’ll be pleasantly surprised if you pick it up. Fabric is pretty amazing too, extremely soft wool and silk blend.

I agree with you the lapel looks awesome. Mine is about 3.75" and it almost does look like a neo lapel given how it covers up half the breast pocket. .

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweaters are 25% off minus the cable knit. Anyone have the regular crew necks? Fit pics?

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The collar points stick out because the collar is way too big for your neck. Look at the neck gap.
Not necessarily true! It’s a known issue and Rick is aware of it. The good news is, it does fix itself but takes a few wash for that to happen.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll agree on the belt loops being an issue, but even if the SKU is the same, there can be variation in different dye lots. The mid gray VBC jacket from last year that S&M accidentally sent me was a slightly different shade than the mid gray of this year’s pants, even though the fabric was the same. I wouldnt be upset about the variation unless it was specifically advertised as suit separates.
100%, that’s not on S&M at all. I’d be surprised if they actually did match.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads