• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hopsack74

Reaction score
The Zignone blue herringbone is gorgeous. It's buttery soft and wears very light. Thanks @mossrockss for posting your E.Thomas sportcoat for inspiration. Zignone is the one in front and Bottoli blue wool/linen sport coat from SS18 is in back for color comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_3144.jpg
    IMG_3144.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3141.jpg
    IMG_3141.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3140.jpg
    IMG_3140.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3143.jpg
    IMG_3143.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 185

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Zignone blue herringbone is gorgeous. It's buttery soft and wears very light. Thanks @mossrockss for posting your E.Thomas sportcoat for inspiration. Zignone is the one in front and Bottoli blue wool/linen sport coat from SS18 is in back for color comparison.
Looks amazing. Glad you got it. Honestly sorta tempted to pick it up as like a backup to my Eidos lol.

hopsack74

Reaction score
Did @spiermackay change the lapel width on the 2 button sport coats? My previous S&M 2 button sport coats & suits have measured 3.5" only. However, my new Zignone blue herringbone measures out at 3.75" which I think looks incredible.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me out here:

I was perusing Spier & Mackay's collar options for their shirts (MTM) and was wondering if anyone could share with me their photos of an Italian button down collar and the large Italian button down collar. The difference is 3 3/4 vs 4 1/8, respectively.

I absolutely love collar roll and would wear these with and without a tie.... I currently have a few BD collars shirts that top out at 3 7/8 and they are rolltastic.

I think I also read somewhere that you could request that these shirts have unlined collars, despite the website saying that it's a stiff fused collar. Is that correct? Also, are the shirts all must iron, unless the website explicitly says otherwise? Finally, where are the shirts actually made?

Many, many thanks for your expertise; I may have found a rabbit hole which I cannot escape from. :violin:

~savvy

eleven_will_see_you_now

Reaction score
Finally got some ok pics with my new charcoal tweed suit separates (unaltered, my tailor is on vacation right now). I love it but noticed the cut felt a little different than my other suits from previous seasons. Seems to be a higher trouser rise, Which I love! However the jacket feels more slim fit than contemporary, this is fine because I need contemporary for the pants but could go with either for the jacket. Specifically the waist feels more snug, and it just ~feels~ shorter in the body although it only looks like maybe 0.5 inch shorter at most. I took pictures with my favorite S&M suit jacket too, a Guabello medium grey, to compare fit, and I feel the difference more than I see it. When I first tried this tweed jacket on I thought I might want to send it back for a 42L instead of 42R, but I think I'll be ok with it unless anyone really thinks I should switch. I love the fabric on this, great texture, springy, a little stretch to it, and only 1/4 lined! It's definitely filling out my need for a fall/winter suit.

milktoast

Reaction score
Hi all -- looking for some guidance on some recent purchases. Apologies for the pic quality.
I bought a pair of trousers that I took to the tailor to get hemmed and wanted to know if folks think they're an appropriate length. I keep all my dress shoes at the office, so my apologies for not showing any pics with them. Hoping to get any future trousers cuffed.

Secondly, I'd like some thoughts on what I should tell my tailor for dialing in my dress shirt. Originally I bought some OTR 14.5 slim fit shirts, but they were too tight after one cold wash, so when I went to the S&M store, they recommended going up on the neck size (15) and going with extra slim fit. It's done wonders as the shirts are no longer tight after a wash. However, my tailor has been a bit aggressive with the last couple of shirts and made them too tight. I know that I need to get the sleeves shortened, but not sure what else I should specify. My biggest problem has always been shirts fitting too tight around my chest.
1898.png
1899.png
1896.png

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All is becoming right in the world. New arrivals, the other Harris Tweed is awesome:
A72AF62C-1F3F-4E5A-B11C-52E216602FCF.jpeg

ACED9815-C7D0-4EC3-844F-02038CD1BEB5.jpeg

as I mentioned a couple weeks back, this is basically identical fabric to a HT jacket I have from JC Penney from several years back. That one was always slightly bigger than ideal and VERY heavily padded, so it was worth it to me to get the much better made/fitting version.

FINALLY got the gray flannel suit sorted out, after 3 jackets and 2 pairs of pants. 38R contemporary jacket, 33 contemporary pants:
307EE341-1564-4096-B7FB-8EE1DFA17221.jpeg

D0B59A45-B1CC-42DA-B137-8CFAE1577D05.jpeg

Jacket one was the wrong jacket (last year’s non-Neo gray flannel), the second jacket was 38L and way too long, and the 32 pants were tighter in the waist than my other pairs. 33 is slightly loose, but I can cinch the side adjusters down. It was a journey to get here, but this suit blows away my expectations and was exactly what I was hoping it would be. You killed it @spiermackay, I don’t need the navy one but damned if I’m not strongly considering it.

Lesson I’ve learned on jackets- in need a 38R for Neo, and a 38L for regular.

Last edited:

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my Abraham Moon tweed trousers--charcoal and medium blue. Thick and tweedy, these are beautiful cold weather trousers. Fantastic!

chiggyv

Reaction score
Restock of OCBDs!

Hoping the shrinkage issue has been sorted out as I'm having to replace a few shirts that are hardly 6 months old.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads