• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mikeykx

Reaction score
It's supposed to be cold later so I brought the overcoat with me just in case. S&M overcoat, shirt, tie and trousers.

b636609d185aee7023c57c742a07ab30c77356ef.jpg
This fit looks really good overall, love it. Can you comment on the sizing of S&M Overcoat, did you go with your normal suit size? are you able to comfortably fit blazer/suit underneath? Ive heard a lot of comments from people saying to size up even though the description says to take your normal size

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unsolicited Testimonial:

I ordered a couple pair of trousers from S&M a week or two ago; one of the Medium Gray flannels from Botto Giuseppe, and one of the Brisbane Moss Brown Moleskins. This was the first time I'd ordered anything from S&M since an initial unhappy experience with some OTR shirts I ordered back in April, and I was just hoping that I'd have a better experience with these trousers.

When they arrived, my first impression was, "Wow! These are really nice!" But, since I spent most of my adult life (prior to joining SF) in jeans and sneakers, I wondered if my opinion was even remotely valid (hell, I used to think post-Clark's Bostonians were high-end shoes).

I finally got around to taking them to my tailor to get hemmed (both) and cuffed (just the flannels) today, and I got confirmation that these are really nice:

You have to understand; my tailor is an old-school Italian tailor. He immigrated from Italy back in 1960 and opened his own shop in 1968. He's an institution around here and he's been tailoring for over 50 years.

While he was measuring me for the flannels, he said, "These are very nice. I like these." And after he measured me for the moleskins and I got changed back into what I wore in, he took the flannels again and turned them inside out and gave them a good inspection. He said, "These are really well-made; where did you get them?" I told him, and he said, "I'll need 32."

I thought he was telling me he'd need $32 to do the cuffs, and I said "Sure, no problem." But then he said, "OK. You order them for me, and let them send them to you, then you bring them to me and I'll pay you the cash." He said again that they were very nice, and that he needed a nice pair of flannel trousers, but he just didn't have the time to make them for himself.

So I told him I'd get him a pair if they had any left in a 32.

Anyway, this experience told me all I need to know about S&M; if Romualdo wants a pair of their flannel trousers, I know they must be top quality. This is a tailor who has made clothes for billionaires, rock stars, and astronauts (Neil Armstrong was a regular customer of his for many years) and was profiled in the Wall Street Journal:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB121520805842729307 (N.B. this article is paywalled, but the paywall is easy to get around)

Just thought S&M fans would enjoy this story.
Awesome story, thanks for sharing this

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I received my suit right before 8:00 this morning, crisis averted LOL. There’s good and bad news though even though I only had a minutes to check it out before I had to head out to work.

I’ll start with the good:

• the jacket fits really well in a 45. I usually take a 46 in S&M OTR but I’m more of a natural 45 ad the 44 is too small and the 46 is a little too big. The front and back are very clean.
• The VBC fabric is really nice.
• The trousers length is spot on.

Now the bad:

• I opted for my regular 38 and requested the maximum 12.70” rise. The rise only measures 12” but that’s not the bad part, they have this weird bunching in the front. The crouch area is pretty bad and it also does a weird fold on the thigh area. My wife saw it right away and thought it looked very unflattering. It was hard to capture but you can see how there’s a fold in the front. I’m not even sure if that’s something that a tailor can fix but it looks bad.

Minor annoyances:

• The patch pockets are sown shut as someone else mentioned earlier.
• No VBC patch on the inside of the jacket.
• The trousers are missing the belt loop for the extended waistband.
• The monogram wasn’t included.
• The monogram wasn’t included.
• I asked for the left sleeve to be .25” shorter to a dropped right shoulder but I’m not sure that was done although I didn’t get a chance to measure it.

That’s it for now. Now I have to figure out how to deal with the trousers front issue. Maybe Rick or Tim can chime in on if whether or not that can be fixed.
View attachment 1280856 View attachment 1280857 View attachment 1280858 View attachment 1280859
This is sick. Pretty nailed it. Honestly if you didnt mention the problems I wouldn't know. Now you mentioned it, yeh there's no loop for the extended waist band on mine too. I didn't remember thats a thing till I took a look at this summer's seersucker trousers.

It's a mixed feeling I know when some details were not done properly. Besides the pockets sewn shut, I requested button fly for my trousers but ended up receiving zip fly. But at least the fit you nailed it. Congrats!

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is sick. Pretty nailed it. Honestly if you didnt mention the problems I wouldn't know. Now you mentioned it, yeh there's no loop for the extended waist band on mine too. I didn't remember thats a thing till I took a look at this summer's seersucker trousers.

It's a mixed feeling I know when some details were not done properly. Besides the pockets sewn shut, I requested button fly for my trousers but ended up receiving zip fly. But at least the fit you nailed it. Congrats!
Thanks, I couldn't agree more, the jacket is spot on and I love the fabric. The trousers issue would be more obvious in person with the jacket off. My wife noticed it before me and was like the pants are weird but she couldn't really explain why. I'm looking forward to having my tailor take a look at them.

The button fly situation sucks, I always feel it's a gamble whenever you have to include notes regarding a change that's not a selectable option. As far as the belt loop, I just assumed that they would be just like the OTR Neapolitan trousers. Not 100% sure if that's the case though.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does 130s wool even work for a standalone sportcoat or that is suited more toward a full suit? My guess is not because the smoothness of the fabric would make it look weird if not accompanied by trousers of the same cloth

2019-11-16_17h49_09.png

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Does 130s wool even work for a standalone sportcoat or that is suited more toward a full suit? My guess is not because the smoothness of the fabric would make it look weird if not accompanied by trousers of the same cloth

View attachment 1281269

Super 130s midnight navy twill with no variegation at all sounds like strictly suit fabric. I wouldn't do a standalone jacket with that.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads