• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I ordered both the VBC Grey Flannel and the Botto Medium Grey Flannel hoping they were different.... but they're almost identical.

Left is VBC. Right is Botto

FDpyOIS.jpg

91LzjMn.jpg
Seems perfect. A match made in heaven for the guy named ”Superfluous.” Sorry. Just couldn’t help myself. ;)
For what it is worth, they both look nice.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contemporary.
Would you mind measuring the waist, hip, and thigh and compare that to the contemporary size chart they list for these please?

The sizing on these has me so confused. I used to buy 36 slim khakis, but then last year's FW18 sizing was so messed up, I ordered the 36 contemporary instead (which still seemed on the slimmer side). Now with these cords, I don't know if I need to size up to a 38 Slim or a 36 contemporary.

ElliotG

Reaction score
So I ordered both the VBC Grey Flannel and the Botto Medium Grey Flannel hoping they were different.... but they're almost identical.

FDpyOIS.jpg

91LzjMn.jpg
VBC looks a little bluer, but yeah those are really similar. What about texture?

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you mind measuring the waist, hip, and thigh and compare that to the contemporary size chart they list for these please?

The sizing on these has me so confused. I used to buy 36 slim khakis, but then last year's FW18 sizing was so messed up, I ordered the 36 contemporary instead (which still seemed on the slimmer side). Now with these cords, I don't know if I need to size up to a 38 Slim or a 36 contemporary.

36” Contemporary

18.5 Half waist
11” Thigh
8.25” leg opening

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The photos online look quite different.
I guess that's a matter of opinion then. To me the two look quite similar, as I'd expect from two fabrics labeled "medium grey flannel". The Botto is a little darker and a little more variegated, both in the S&M photos (above, Botto; below, VBC) and in your photos.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FDpyOIS.jpg

91LzjMn.jpg
They both look awesome though!

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unsolicited Testimonial:

I ordered a couple pair of trousers from S&M a week or two ago; one of the Medium Gray flannels from Botto Giuseppe, and one of the Brisbane Moss Brown Moleskins. This was the first time I'd ordered anything from S&M since an initial unhappy experience with some OTR shirts I ordered back in April, and I was just hoping that I'd have a better experience with these trousers.

When they arrived, my first impression was, "Wow! These are really nice!" But, since I spent most of my adult life (prior to joining SF) in jeans and sneakers, I wondered if my opinion was even remotely valid (hell, I used to think post-Clark's Bostonians were high-end shoes).

I finally got around to taking them to my tailor to get hemmed (both) and cuffed (just the flannels) today, and I got confirmation that these are really nice:

You have to understand; my tailor is an old-school Italian tailor. He immigrated from Italy back in 1960 and opened his own shop in 1968. He's an institution around here and he's been tailoring for over 50 years.

While he was measuring me for the flannels, he said, "These are very nice. I like these." And after he measured me for the moleskins and I got changed back into what I wore in, he took the flannels again and turned them inside out and gave them a good inspection. He said, "These are really well-made; where did you get them?" I told him, and he said, "I'll need 32."

I thought he was telling me he'd need $32 to do the cuffs, and I said "Sure, no problem." But then he said, "OK. You order them for me, and let them send them to you, then you bring them to me and I'll pay you the cash." He said again that they were very nice, and that he needed a nice pair of flannel trousers, but he just didn't have the time to make them for himself.

So I told him I'd get him a pair if they had any left in a 32.

Anyway, this experience told me all I need to know about S&M; if Romualdo wants a pair of their flannel trousers, I know they must be top quality. This is a tailor who has made clothes for billionaires, rock stars, and astronauts (Neil Armstrong was a regular customer of his for many years) and was profiled in the Wall Street Journal:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB121520805842729307 (N.B. this article is paywalled, but the paywall is easy to get around)

Just thought S&M fans would enjoy this story.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads