• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone sent trousers to S&M to be replicated? If so, how were the results? I have a pair of trousers which are MTM which I've asked another affiliateed vendor to replicate with great results.

I've emailed S&M and asked them if this is a possibility, to which they've answered: "Please do note that this does not mean that the fit will be exactly the same. The pattern of the trouser will be slightly different, however your trousers measurements will be used."

The answer is somewhat off putting. If I wanted the measurements to be replicated, I'd just send them by email. When they say that the pattern will be different, are they referring to specific/unique features such as pick stitching, type of pockets, zipper vs buttons etc? I want them to replicate the pattern of the trousers (i.e. the pattern of the seat area, crotch etc).
Eh, I'm dubious about sending measurements in, but understand where they are coming from. This is MTM, so I don't really expect them to alter their patterns to accommodate the customer. If this was another affiliate vendor that does offer that type of service I could understand.

lemmy127

Reaction score
When they say that the pattern will be different, are they referring to specific/unique features such as pick stitching, type of pockets, zipper vs buttons etc? I want them to replicate the pattern of the trousers (i.e. the pattern of the seat area, crotch etc).

I imagine they also mean that although the measurements of the front rise, back rise, waist, inseam, thigh, knee, hips, and hem opening will be identical, the measurements of all the space between those measurements will be pre-determined by their own patterns, and not by copying the pants you send in down to the tiniest detail. So the taper between the thigh and the knee and the knee to the hem will in all likelihood differ from the taper on the pants you send in.

I don't really blame them. It would be horribly inefficient to try to do a carbon copy when their pattern will get them 95% there in significantly less time.

For example, I copied the specs of a RTW shirt for a different SF affiliate to copy. The copy was within spec with the measurements I provided, but it feels a bit snug across my back at the armpit level despite the chest measurement being spot on. That's a pattern difference making itself known.

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. I totally understand if they don't want to replicate every part of the trousers. Just trying to understand if I've understood their response correctly, which I apparently have. Hence, I'll keep purchasing my trousers from another place. No big deal, was just trying to get a pair of trousers in the same fabric as a couple of SCs. Thanks again.

callmematthew

Reaction score
Does the absence of discussion around today's flash sale indicate a lack of appreciation for the Zignone sports jackets? They were lost a bit in the new arrival wave earlier this season.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Overcoat looks amazing, can you comment on sizing? Did you take your regular suit size? S&M product description says sizing was designed so you can wear your suit underneath it but I have heard feedback to size up.
This is the same size as my SC's. Now, when I bought this one, I don't know if it was from some past collection but it feels a little bit snug when wearing a jacket underneath. The jacket I'm wearing is a hopsack so not so heavy, definitely a hevier jacket would be a little tight. But, I also have the camel DB and that one is extremely comfortable with a jacket underneath, even the heavy ones.

AidanS

Reaction score
I received two new suits from Spier & Mackay today and figured that I would provide some photos as reference points to others since they were both recently released.

The first suit is the Drago - Medium Blue in Contemporary 42.
152D7CC1-4103-4C91-A5B2-792DD5B49814.jpeg
F2E5426B-E951-4C62-B01A-7E9B60F17ED6.jpeg
A830E7EA-A4A3-48BD-ABC3-E6200CD155EC.jpeg

The second suit is the three piece Gray Glen Check, also in 42 Contemporary.
B1B93020-D940-4F1E-B4A7-F58D2B47D0E3.jpeg
6D2DFF54-109C-40EA-B497-617C382757CF.jpeg
4A0AA90F-8353-4EDF-A2AE-CB5EB18DBFF5.jpeg

I have other clothes from Spier and Mackey but these are my first suits. Overall I’m really impressed! It seems hard to beat the quality-to-price ratio that Spier has. I have more expensive suits, but these two would be the best looking suits in my closet, the wide lapels on the jackets just look so much better than the narrow lapels on my other suits.

Also, these suits fit me the best out of any I’ve tried OTR, which is another added bonus. The only tailoring I’m planning to get done is the hem and a slight taper from the knee down. These certainly won’t be my final suit purchase from Spier, though I almost wish I had never gotten them in the first place with how much my wallet will hate me.

callmematthew

Reaction score
@AidanS Thanks for sharing. I am tempted by that three piece fabric. (FWIW, I thought the jacket fit you, but that could be the difference between a new member like me and a senior member.)

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the absence of discussion around today's flash sale indicate a lack of appreciation for the Zignone sports jackets? They were lost a bit in the new arrival wave earlier this season.
I love the Brick dongegal but I came to the conclusion I can only wear Spier neo jackets or MTO only because of the lengths

david.flo

Reaction score
I received two new suits from Spier & Mackay today and figured that I would provide some photos as reference points to others since they were both recently released.

The first suit is the Drago - Medium Blue in Contemporary 42.

I like how it looks the fit of the blue suit (there is nothing wrong with the grey).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads