• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chatelet

Reaction score
Any other success stories with MTO? My suit just got shipped today. Anxious to see how it turns out.
Let us know how it goes. I tried but got told (after two weeks) that the fabric was unavailable. Still haven’t managed to decide on an alternative.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some ups and downs today:

the good- got my gray BG flannel pants and the pants to my peak lapel suit back from the tailor. The flannel is awesome and the suit looks great- both will be worn this week, so pics incoming.

the bad- got my flannel pants for the suit in, not great. Seems overly slim and tight in the waist. I went ahead and ordered a size up (33 contemp) to see if that’s better. The jacketcomes in tomorrow, hopefully the 38L isn’t way too long (first try with the long sizes). Honestly, for how much I wanted this suit, I’m getting super frustrated with trying to get everything nailed down.

The good again (but bad for the wallet)- the sale convinced me to jump on the green Harris Tweed jacket, The details on the herringbone are too good to pass up, so jumping on the green while it’s available.

the also good- it’s cold as b*lls tomorrow and I have to walk around outside, so the herringbone Zanieri polo coat from last year is going to get its first wearing
I received the trousers for the Medium Grey VBC today and noticed that the waist was a little smaller than what I’m used to. I’m a 36 but always buy a 38 since I wear suspenders but on these trousers, I can wear them without suspenders it seems like. I didn’t notice that the legs were any slimmer though.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes. I tried but got told (after two weeks) that the fabric was unavailable. Still haven’t managed to decide on an alternative.
Hoping my minor tweaks and my complete lack of tailoring technique knowledge won't destroy each other. :box:

Last edited:

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This looks really nice. My only thought by this and the sizing chart is that they are considered a longer cut of peacoats? My option is narrow shoulder (chunky sweater) with perfect length or perfect shoulder with longer length

The picture and angle is misleading. The peacoat is not much longer than a sportcoat.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With that being said, I HATE how the chinos shrink in the wash, even with air drying afterwards. Constant across makers, btw. Dockers would be the only positive data point here, actually. But that's before they started adding this stupid stretchy stuff.

I pretty much only wear LL Bean chinos and have never had an issue with shrinkage. I started wearing them in high school and kept trying various other brands, but they either shrank, were wildly inconsistent with sizing, were a pain to iron, or were super expensive. Never had an issue with LL Bean.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing last years herringbone polo coat for the first time today- hot damn. Pics to come later.

dluce76

Reaction score
@vriche @nqtri

An update to my MTO jacket experience - after some time wearing it and some steam to the shoulders/yoke, everything is now perfect. I had thought the waist was too large but actually it was because the jacket wasn't sitting on my shoulders right (sitting too high, and what I perceived to be the waist measurement was actually not). Turned out that the yoke/shoulders were a little tight (not sure if the lining, or the fabric just needed to relax) and needed to loosen up a bit with some wear. When that happened, the jacket settled out incredibly and everything is fantastic.

I should've known better but I've been so anxious about it coming that I forgot to let it settle. So just a word to the wise.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received the trousers for the Medium Grey VBC today and noticed that the waist was a little smaller than what I’m used to. I’m a 36 but always buy a 38 since I wear suspenders but on these trousers, I can wear them without suspenders it seems like. I didn’t notice that the legs were any slimmer though.

waist was close to too snug on mine in my usual 32, similar issue I had with the covert twills. I would suspect it’s the fit of the “high rise” pants, but my BG flannels fit amazing, so I don’t know. I ordered the 33 last night, so we’ll test it out

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Seems too bombproof to me.

I don't know how people wear these inside, they're basically outerwear.

The new Zanieri glen check coat is 520gsm, while the gray Harris Tweed sports coat is 500gsm.
Exactly. I returned the Abraham Moon (430 gsm) because it feels like an overcoat. This isn't specific to SM, but a lot of these heavy tweed sportcoats are just impractical if you're looking for a F/W sportcoat that you can be comfortable sitting around in all day at, like, a conference or something.

Chicagojoe

Reaction score
That picture looked overexposed to me. I ordered the green harris tweed check and had to return it because the shoulders on the jacket I got were cut too wide but the fabric and color were gorgeous. Lemme see if I have a pic

ETA: yes found a pic. Please excuse the bathroom selfy and the batman boxers lol. Should provide a good depiction of the color though.

View attachment 1277448

Thanks so much for the pic, of course when I went to buy it in 38R last night it was sold out !!!!! Also, I really appreciate pointing out the boxers, don't think I would have caught that on my own ?

bnd6xc

Reaction score
After getting stung by the dreaded Houston Chill™️ during a business trip yesterday, I mustered up the courage to pull the trigger on the Harris tweed.

Despite the hate for the heavy fabric here lately, I like being able to use a jacket as a jacket. An added plus is that I don’t have to worry about my jacket as I jump in and out of cabs or if someone smashes it in an overhead bin while I’m traveling. Maybe those in warmer climates should try pairing it with fresco pants and let some heat out the undercarriage ?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
S&M jacket from a couple of season ago and denim shirts. I been a complete fan of them

9d7d33481f706b61e5a94f6b50e7a66f0525b8a1.jpg

33923270eaf1b386796d37d0f98cc6a900a05488.jpg

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the pic, of course when I went to buy it in 38R last night it was sold out !!!!! Also, I really appreciate pointing out the boxers, don't think I would have caught that on my own ?

sorry bud, that might’ve been me- I pulled the trigger on the 38R last night and saw this morning that it was sold out. Who knows though, I might still get an OOS message lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads