• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
the batman boxers are exceedingly comfortable :laugh:

induere_to

Reaction score
Saw this while scrolling through Instagram. Interesting to see this fabric in a different jacket style.

I remember seeing this last week and forgot to mention that this fabric posted above is actually Drapers. Ardentes and I had a long conversation about how similar it looks to our Harris Tweed.

Spex

Reaction score
I hear that. The khakis are lovely, but I’m giving up on them because there are no length options. Every pair needs to be shortened—and then tapered because the tailor had to cut off the tapered end of each leg. I don’t have the time in my week to drop off and then pick up at the tailor every time I buy a pair of pants. It also adds a fat price increase to each pair that means they’re never a good value. Lots of places will sell me chinos with 30” inseams.

I have the opposite problem. I normally take a waist size of 32, but that only proves a 32 inch inseam when I need at least a 33. So I end up sizing up to a 33 to get a workable inseam...although past chinos have shrunk on me becoming too short.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm 5'10" and 195ish, 16.5 neck and I wear the slim fit shirts. They are the best fitting shirts I've ever bought to be honest. Sounds like you must be too used to the boxy cuts of those other brands.

What does your chest measure? Mine's about 45.

For shirts I wear with a tie, I take a 16 neck. S&M contemp. fit size 16 has a 46" chest measurement. Would be way too tight on me. Even if I sized up to 16.5, I'd only get a half inch in the chest, strangely, according to the size chart. Then going to a size 17, the chest measurement jumps 2 inches from 16.5. What's up with that? Only a half inch increase from 16 to 16.5, but a 2 inch increase from 16.5 to 17. Is this accurate, @spiermackay ?

For comparison, Lands' End Tailored Fit (the middle of their 3 fits) size 16 has a 47 inch chest and 16.5 is 49.5. They are a bit larger in the waist than I'd prefer, but I wouldn't describe the cut as "boxy". They have roughly the same taper as S&M's slim fit (waist is 4 inches less than the chest). Sometimes I have the waists taken in, but for a more casual shirt like an OCBD, I can deal with a little excess fabric around the waist. LE's dress shirt collars mostly suck, which is why I'd love if S&M made an OTR size that fits me.

chiggyv

Reaction score
I have the opposite problem. I normally take a waist size of 32, but that only proves a 32 inch inseam when I need at least a 33. So I end up sizing up to a 33 to get a workable inseam...although past chinos have shrunk on me becoming too short.

Same situation for me with the length.

The shrinking is a real pain **********. I end up having to replace chinos that are otherwise perfectly wearable because the length ends up 1-2 inches shorter than new.

mr.invincible

Reaction score
so how many of you guys buy the suits (or sport coats) and still need to do some tailoring? i like the size of the 38S (from 36S) but I prefer it to be a little slimmer. i also need to shorten the sleeve length and honestly i feel like i can slim down the sleeves too. is that too much tailoring? i guess the question is- when is it too much tailoring that you might as return it and find another suit maker?

Chris-Wearings

Reaction score
so how many of you guys buy the suits (or sport coats) and still need to do some tailoring? i like the size of the 38S (from 36S) but I prefer it to be a little slimmer. i also need to shorten the sleeve length and honestly i feel like i can slim down the sleeves too. is that too much tailoring? i guess the question is- when is it too much tailoring that you might as return it and find another suit maker?

Quite confused why do you like bigger size when you prefer slimmer?

mr.invincible

Reaction score
Quite confused why do you like bigger size when you prefer slimmer?

Originally i had gotten a size 36S and I posted my fit for some feedback and the consensus was to get larger jacket (see my previous post history for reference). I didnt like how the 36S my shoulders had this "hill" and getting a size 38S definitely helped resolve that issue. I will re-post once I get my new 38 slim and see what people think

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I already know the answer but quick question, do you guys think if I wear these 2 suit colors on back to back days, most will think that it’s the same suit? For the record, the trousers are the S&M Medium Grey flannel and the jacket is a lighter Medium Grey from another maker.
FDA0035B-2612-4AC7-B317-8899FE37323E.jpeg

mux8

Reaction score
Can anyone offer some blazer fit advice.
In suitsupply I go for a size 40 short in a slim cut. Spier and mackay only seem to offer 40 S in a contemporary cut.

What size should I go for? Also does anyone have comparisons of the contemporary and slim cut offerings.

biscuitnoir

Reaction score
I think I already know the answer but quick question, do you guys think if I wear these 2 suit colors on back to back days, most will think that it’s the same suit? For the record, the trousers are the S&M Medium Grey flannel and the jacket is a lighter Medium Grey from another maker.
View attachment 1277553
As long as you change the tie and pocket square I don't think anybody will notice anyways. That's what so great about dark suits.

TroyMcClure

Reaction score
Is the camel single breasted overcoat going to be restocked? Specifically 36S? Guess I should have been thinking about it at the end of summer instead of now.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does your chest measure? Mine's about 45.

For shirts I wear with a tie, I take a 16 neck. S&M contemp. fit size 16 has a 46" chest measurement. Would be way too tight on me. Even if I sized up to 16.5, I'd only get a half inch in the chest, strangely, according to the size chart. Then going to a size 17, the chest measurement jumps 2 inches from 16.5. What's up with that? Only a half inch increase from 16 to 16.5, but a 2 inch increase from 16.5 to 17. Is this accurate, @spiermackay ?

For comparison, Lands' End Tailored Fit (the middle of their 3 fits) size 16 has a 47 inch chest and 16.5 is 49.5. They are a bit larger in the waist than I'd prefer, but I wouldn't describe the cut as "boxy". They have roughly the same taper as S&M's slim fit (waist is 4 inches less than the chest). Sometimes I have the waists taken in, but for a more casual shirt like an OCBD, I can deal with a little excess fabric around the waist. LE's dress shirt collars mostly suck, which is why I'd love if S&M made an OTR size that fits me.

Well I wasn't expecting a 45" chest, so that would do it. I'm a 42" chest drop 6 waist, I buy 42R contemp jackets and suits, 16.5 35 slim shirts. I also got a couple 16 contemp popovers to fit as I don't wear ties with those. If I need a tie, I need a 16.5 shirt.

View attachment 1277553

They are different enough.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I wasn't expecting a 45" chest, so that would do it. I'm a 42" chest drop 6 waist, I buy 42R contemp jackets and suits, 16.5 35 slim shirts. I also got a couple 16 contemp popovers to fit as I don't wear ties with those. If I need a tie, I need a 16.5 shirt.

They are different enough.
That’s what I like to hear LOL

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics