• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last season’s camel hair, navy flannels and S&M tie:
7447DD86-E899-41F3-8AEC-157B84B7B0A6.jpeg

dazedstate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything is so money, though I’d prefer full suit. Seersucker, even navy tonal, feel wrong as an odd jacket to me.

Thanks man. I like it as an odd jacket, having tried it a few times now. I get the thought process though. I can't always get away with how messy the pants fairly quickly:
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190928121958752_COVER.jpg

WarrenG

Reaction score
Curious if anyone can speak to the sizing on S&M sweaters and also quality-both this year and last (it looks like there are a handful of last season's on sale). Normally I would be a large (Brooks Bros, B&R, etc.), but I've found things run a touch smaller for my build here.

To date, I've only ordered suits from S&M and had to bump up from my normal 42L to 44L in the contemporary cut on suit jackets so wondering if I'm going to have the same issue on sweaters and will need to go the XL route?

Thanks in advance!

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Curious if anyone can speak to the sizing on S&M sweaters and also quality-both this year and last (it looks like there are a handful of last season's on sale). Normally I would be a large (Brooks Bros, B&R, etc.), but I've found things run a touch smaller for my build here.

To date, I've only ordered suits from S&M and had to bump up from my normal 42L to 44L in the contemporary cut on suit jackets so wondering if I'm going to have the same issue on sweaters and will need to go the XL route?

Thanks in advance!
I use 44L too and all my S&M sweater are XL.

Kurps

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

Im also 44L and XL in their sweaters. It’s possible the cable knits you could get away with a L if you say in other brands you are a 42L.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

I would be a 44 or 46 (42-44 in brands like Brooks Bros) and just bought a few more this weekend and decided on XXL. XL I think is OK if you are just wearing an undershirt or similar under (crew or turtleneck) it but for cardigans they are so thin that the XL for me pulls at the buttons and makes it look like it's too small for me. As a point of reference I take a L in all other brands sweaters.

bnd6xc

Reaction score
As a 40L I took an XL in the regular and cable knits this year. They would still fit me if I put 4 inches on my chest, waist and an inch on my shoulders. That said, I also like the "slouchy" (but not sloppy) fit with these as I do not plan to wear them under a jacket. Under a jacket I would still take a L for the cables-- regular knit could go either way. I think Rick mentioned cable is 3x thicker than the standard ones, so keep that in mind if you plan to layer. My experience is that they are warm.

All of that is to say you would be fine with either XL or XXL depending on your use.

rc121

Reaction score
@spiermackay any flannela (sp?) trousers incoming or available? I have the VBC blue houndstooth flannel from a few seasons ago and they are the perfect weight for Arizona winter days where it warms up considerably in the afternoon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads