• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

varsityreds0123

Reaction score
@Burzan

The pattern on this jacket is absolutely bonkers. The blue set against the browns really makes it stand out. I’m biased, but I think it’s Spier’s coolest jacket to date.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These loafers are pretty amazing. Been wearing them for few days. Fits well. Quality as good as Edward Green or Loake. View attachment 1244239
If your putting Loake in the same comparison with Edward Green, I'm afraid I can't take anything you say seriously. I love Spier, probably half of my wardrobe is from them, but I have no doubt the footwear line isn't in the same league as EG.

drfwtx

Reaction score
I believe Rick has said they had all new colors in the Abraham Moon tweed this year. Comparing the stock photos from 2017 & 2019, this year is a bit lighter, though both are very much in the navy realm.

As for feel, these are merino wool, so relatively soft/smooth and not at all itchy (think typical merino wool sweaters but heavier).

oh, I thought I had asked if medium brown was the same and he said yes...perhaps I’m mistaken. Also, co sign on the feel of the cloth.

Ychw

Reaction score
My tailor removed all my shatnez. But those were wool suits.

Linen on wool is easier to remove than wool on linen.
Just bought a couple wool suits from SM the shatnez lab said he just looked at it quickly and he's not 100% sure the undercollar has linen so

1 have you ever seen an undercollar piece that is not linen ? Maybe canvas
( horsehair)

Is the linen piece just sewn to the collar like for example in most Hugo boss suits that makes replacing the piece rally easy or is it fused ?
cuz fused is a pain in the neck to remove all off the tiny linen hairs

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a couple wool suits from SM the shatnez lab said he just looked at it quickly and he's not 100% sure the undercollar has linen so

( horsehair)

Is the linen piece just sewn to the collar like for example in most Hugo boss suits that makes replacing the piece rally easy or is it fused ?
I’m sure @spiermackay could tell you what’s linen and what’s wool, and how the pieces are attached.

Ychw

Reaction score
I’m so curious now. You’re worried about shatnez but you wear Hugo Boss?

Hahaha I used to wear Hugo boss right now I'm trying to avoid fused suits that's why I tried SM
As I said in most Hugo boss Suits the linen piece it's just sewn to the undercollar therefore it's really easy to have any decent tailor replace it

So when you buy an HB suit you already know it has shatnez but it can be easily fixed

Banks

Reaction score
oh, I thought I had asked if medium brown was the same and he said yes...perhaps I’m mistaken. Also, co sign on the feel of the cloth.

I thought that they were all new this year compared to 2017, though I'm fairly certain the medium brown in particular is because I have them from two years ago and this year's medium appears much lighter on the website (though, going off of this year's navy, maybe that's not the best judge). The 2017 version was on the darker side of what I'd consider a medium brown and also, anecdotally, possibly my favorite wool trouser in my closet. I'd love to try this year's medium as well but I've already got way too many brown flannel & tweed trousers.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received the HT herringbone sport coat yesterday. It's my first neo fit sc and I'm not 100% convinced about the fit. I thought I'd post some photos for comments and suggestions for alterations or changes.

On a side note, I never noticed how weird my posture is before. That's worrying.

View attachment 1244206 View attachment 1244207
Could just be the super heavy tweed cloth is making it fit strangely, or more so than another fabric. That extra in the blades could be cleaned up. It might break in and loosen up a bit. But, that collar gap might not go away.
May be worth asking in the tailors thread for input (@jefferyd )

Last edited:

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

( horsehair)

When they “take a quick look” they often get it wrong. We use a cotton canvas that looks exactly like linen so If one is just doing a visual observation most people would assume it’s linen. Best to ask the manufacturer- we provide a tech sheet from our supplier showing the content of the collar canvas that comes pre-padded to the felt.

On that subject, though, any linen sport coat is going to be a problem as there is always wool
In the coat front canvas or chest piece.

conak

Reaction score
Pulled a @induere_to today and wore the Brisbane moss cord jacket and trousers together. Stopped at least 10 times separately today to ask about the material and feel of the cords.

View attachment 1244063
I’m a big fan of my full cord suits, so not criticizing that move... but where the @&$@ do you live? I’m currently staring longingly at my SM cords and moleskin suits while sweat pools on my linen....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads