• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I've seen you say you work a retail job and drive a Hyundai. Just wondering, why do you have a need for "work suits"? :puzzled:
Huh? Naw. Just curious what his job is to require suits for work, since like .001% of jobs these days require a business suit for work. And given the things he's said which I mentioned above, I'm really scratching my head trying to add up anything that makes sense.

Damn, woke up and everything is going off the rails lol.

You’re partially correct- last year I was in between jobs and was working part time retail (clothing, but still). Career has historically been in finance with companies/in roles that required jacket/tie 5 days a week. Currently in energy- don’t wear ties as often anymore, but lots of sportcoats- especially in the fall/winter (still suits for some events). Additionally, I’m on a state board and wear suits for our quarterly meetings (and, really, any board functions/events in official capacity). Outside of that, my wife and I go to dinners/events where a suit has not been out of place.

Also, we’ve had 3 Hyundai’s (used to have a Veracruz, now have a Sonata and Elantra) and have never had a problem with them. Honestly, I’ve always wanted a Mercedes, and though I’m at a point now where I can afford one, my next car (sometime next year probably) will most likely be another Hyundai.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow...this thread sure went hell quickly. Who cares what you drive or why you wear what you wear. I drive a pickup most days, like to wear sport coats and sometimes suits. Being in tech, I'm normally the most "dressed" guy in the room. IDGAF what people think...I just wear them because I like them. Do what makes you happy!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow...this thread sure went hell quickly. Who cares what you drive or why you wear what you wear. I drive a pickup most days, like to wear sport coats and sometimes suits. Being in tech, I'm normally the most "dressed" guy in the room. IDGAF what people think...I just wear them because I like them. Do what makes you happy!
It makes you more memorable. If you're good at what you do, it just makes you that much more recognizable. If you're bad at what you do...

Luckily, I'm the guy everyone calls because I get things done, so it works out ok for me dressing up more than most. "Go see the guy with the bow tie". This is also why I favor more textured garmets and patch pockets; casualizes it a bit more than a worsted wool suit. Even if most people still see me as wearing a "suit".

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, woke up and everything is going off the rails lol.

You’re partially correct- last year I was in between jobs and was working part time retail (clothing, but still). Career has historically been in finance with companies/in roles that required jacket/tie 5 days a week. Currently in energy- don’t wear ties as often anymore, but lots of sportcoats- especially in the fall/winter (still suits for some events). Additionally, I’m on a state board and wear suits for our quarterly meetings (and, really, any board functions/events in official capacity). Outside of that, my wife and I go to dinners/events where a suit has not been out of place.

Also, we’ve had 3 Hyundai’s (used to have a Veracruz, now have a Sonata and Elantra) and have never had a problem with them. Honestly, I’ve always wanted a Mercedes, and though I’m at a point now where I can afford one, my next car (sometime next year probably) will most likely be another Hyundai.

This is what I love about this forum. A question is posed that could be taken as rude. Then, person to whom question was addressed answers in the best possible way.

No, back to your regularly schedule S&M thread...

ElliotG

Reaction score
This is what I love about this forum. A question is posed that could be taken as rude. Then, person to whom question was addressed answers in the best possible way.

No, back to your regularly schedule S&M thread...

So for today's discussion...

What is everyone's planned first MTM order?

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly what kind of car should one drive to earn the privilege of being allowed to wear a suit to work? Boy are you a jerk.
You're exactly right, @breakaway01 --- I had to show ignored content to see what you were reacting to. I ignored that person months ago and forgot he or she existed. You'll be happier (and looking sharp in a very nice suit) once you do that, too. Have a glorious day!

The ignore button helps me edit my life in a graceful way.

Last edited:

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, i drive a beat up 2008 honda fit and sometimes a 2001 chevy S10.

My wife drives the nice 2019 SUV...

But I get cool clothes, so there's that.

Realistically, I’d like another Hyundai when we get rid of mine, but my wife has been on the warpath about a Jeep Rubicon, so I’ll probably end up getting her hand me down Elantra.

I’m adamant the Rubicon isn’t happening, but I was also adamant that we weren’t getting another cat this weekend, and, well:
ED8B4748-92A8-4007-8691-E5C9A4E880C8.jpeg

Now actually on topic, holy crap my black and white Harris Tweed is already out for delivery, that might be the quickest turnaround time ever!

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Realistically, I’d like another Hyundai when we get rid of mine, but my wife has been on the warpath about a Jeep Rubicon, so I’ll probably end up getting her hand me down Elantra.

I’m adamant the Rubicon isn’t happening, but I was also adamant that we weren’t getting another cat this weekend, and, well:
View attachment 1241885

Now actually on topic, holy crap my black and white Harris Tweed is already out for delivery, that might be the quickest turnaround time ever!
Pictures! I've been eyeing it

drfwtx

Reaction score
Neo jacket. Patch pockets. High rise trousers. Side tabs and single reverse pleats. VBC flannel in Navy and Mid Gray.
Dang. Might be in on the full suit as I don’t have any warmer navy trousers and my only warm navy jacket is a very tweedy, brighter navy jacket. Could use something that dresses up a tad more.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Peacoat Preview:

These are our updated take on a peacoat. We consider them an "Elevated" Version of a peacoat. A normal peacoat you can get anywhere from J.Crew, Sterlingwear, Army/Navy Shops, etc. We wanted something a bit more suitable to wear with tailoring.

We started with the same basic design we ran a couple of seasons ago but updated the fit and changed the collar. We're pretty happy with these. They are in the same vain as the Polo, but a bit shorter, different collar/pocket design.

Fabric is heavy wool from Zanieri, so should keep you warm and toasty.

10400-611-625-1-edit.jpg 79944-80-809-1-edit.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads