• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
You could also say, “Who needs a wife when you have another pair of full-grain, Goodyear-welted shoes?” But I’d never say that. Not out loud.

Twice divorced. I'll take the shoes :rolleyes::laugh:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Perfect. Sorry I’ve been harassing y’all about that, but that’ll be an instabuy for me, so thank you! If you’re willing to divulge, any idea on a general eta? Next week, Thanksgiving, etc?

Also, any details? Neo, side adjusters, shade, pleats, fabric mill, etc? I’ll be buying regardless, just curious.

Neo jacket. Patch pockets. High rise trousers. Side tabs and single reverse pleats. VBC flannel in Navy and Mid Gray.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neo jacket. Patch pockets. High rise trousers. Side tabs and single reverse pleats. VBC flannel in Navy and Mid Gray.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR.

I might break my phone with how quickly I order both, ermahgerd I’m so excited. Looks like I’m not buying anything period until these drop lol.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay , trying to get a better feel for the color of the teal polo coat, I can see navy or grey in it on my phone. Wondering what the true color is to figure out what it would go with?
@induere_to

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion, but I much prefer jackets without patch pockets - besom for the win.

It’s situation/jacket specific for me.

Sportcoats- always prefer patch pockets, since it makes the jacket a little more casual

Casual suits (linen, cotton, etc)- prefer patch for same reason as above

Work suits (solid)- prefer flap pockets

Work suits (patterned)- don't really care either way. Currently the only patterned work suit I have (PoW check) has patch.

Black tie- always jetted or none. Always.

My preference for those details on the gray flannel is because that’s kind of the “trad/ivy ideal”- a 3/2 gray flannel suit with patch pockets. The side adjusters is just personal preference (I’ve grown to love them), as is the fabric being from VBC (Fox would’ve been nice, but VBC is a better value for me)

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@spiermackay , trying to get a better feel for the color of the teal polo coat, I can see navy or grey in it on my phone. Wondering what the true color is to figure out what it would go with?
@induere_to

It's a gray/blue base with flecks of teal donegal throughout, like a donegal almost. It registers as a neutral. Wear it like you would any gray or navy overcoat.

callmematthew

Reaction score
For side tab pants, I assume the sizing listed is the maximum and that the tab may be pulled to cinch the waistband smaller than the waist diameter. To wit, if one falls between a 30 and 31, order a 31, which can be cinched slightly. Ordering a 30 could not be expanded (without a tailor's assistance). Do I have this right? (I ask because I fall between the 28 and 30. I lean towards the 28 in dress trousers because they sit higher whereas with the chinos a 30 (after an initial laundering) is more comfortable.)

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For side tab pants, I assume the sizing listed is the maximum and that the tab may be pulled to cinch the waistband smaller than the waist diameter. To wit, if one falls between a 30 and 31, order a 31, which can be cinched slightly. Ordering a 30 could not be expanded (without a tailor's assistance). Do I have this right? (I ask because I fall between the 28 and 30. I lean towards the 28 in dress trousers because they sit higher whereas with the chinos a 30 (after an initial laundering) is more comfortable.)

This. I order a 32 and fit perfectly into a 32, the side tabs are essentially decoration. I just prefer not to wear a belt now, so side tabs are a cleaner look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics