• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eddiemczee

Reaction score
Are there any plans for RTW S&M evening jackets? I already have a full tuxedo, but would love to own a new jacket. I remember this custom piece that was posted on Instagram and would love to see something like this:

eleven_will_see_you_now

Reaction score
I haven't been bold enough to do 2", so I usually split the difference and do 1.75
this^
I feel too young to go to 2", 1.75" looks great, and 1.5" looks kind of wimpy on me. But for the 2" it's more of me not feeling bold enough to rock some very classic styles that more mature guys can. Originally I saw some person's Instagram or blog post, who's style I loved, and they said they get 1.75" and I wanted to copy them. When I took my suits to the tailor I had him show me some other pants that he had done at 1.5, 1.75, and 2 and that's how I figured out what I wanted. When I got the suits back I knew I made the right choice. But I'd definitely recommend sticking in the 1.75 - 2", just look at examples of both and pick what works best for you.

ptfly

Reaction score
this^
I feel too young to go to 2", 1.75" looks great, and 1.5" looks kind of wimpy on me. But for the 2" it's more of me not feeling bold enough to rock some very classic styles that more mature guys can. Originally I saw some person's Instagram or blog post, who's style I loved, and they said they get 1.75" and I wanted to copy them. When I took my suits to the tailor I had him show me some other pants that he had done at 1.5, 1.75, and 2 and that's how I figured out what I wanted. When I got the suits back I knew I made the right choice. But I'd definitely recommend sticking in the 1.75 - 2", just look at examples of both and pick what works best for you.
Same here. 1.75" every time. I am 6'1". My tailor doesn't even ask now. Trained them :D

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any plans for RTW S&M evening jackets? I already have a full tuxedo, but would love to own a new jacket. I remember this custom piece that was posted on Instagram and would love to see something like this:

I seem to remember Rick mentioning a new tux in the fall and the possibility of some separate jackets. I already have 3 velvet dinner jackets, but I’m crossing my fingers for another.

3 year old Whiskey!!

Those are stunning.

Re: the cuff conversation- I’m 5’11” and get 1.75” cuffs, 2” looked odd on me when I tried it.

induere_to

Reaction score
Tomato, tomato.
Naples, Napoli.
Herbal, herbal.
Bespoke, made-to-measure (apparently).

My tailors in the back of the shop use the same ruler to cuff trousers. Engraved on it says ‘Universal Cuff Rule 2”’ and schematically measures about 2” wide. You can’t scratch it out if you tried.

Rumour has it, Moses brought the ruler down from Mt. Sinai after getting it carved by the hand of God Himself.

But you know, this is StyleForum so we talk about these things for five pages.

Also, @konix how are you always ahead of the Spier & Mackay seasonal curve?

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think Rick mentioned there'd be a midnight navy velvet dinner jacket for FW19

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it the same fabric as the medium brown jacket from fall 17? Always wish I got those pants. That was actually my first Spier purchase (thanks google ads for introducing me to this company that has been taking all my money since then.)

Probably saved you all that $ from Susus and other bad deals ;)

AGlorifiedCrew

Reaction score
I definitely feel 2" for cuffs is perfect, at least for (current year). It's a bit weird at first, along with pleats since most pleat n' cuffed trousers we've been seeing at the offices in the past are typically untailored, cheap variants from the 90's.

That said, taller cuffs definitely make sense with the S&M aesthetic, which leans towards the Southern Italian style of tailoring and bold patterns. I do feel that the trousers should be hemmed with no break to really compliment the cuffs.

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to always do 2” cuffs and recently changed to 1.5”. I might stick with that size. They are a little less CUFFS!!!!!!

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this^

I'm 28.
I've been rocking 5cm cuffs for the last 3 years.

So, at 25, most of my dress trousers and suits had 5cm cuffs. I'm curious how old you are that you feel too young.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads