• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wilson13

Reaction score
Or we can do a group GMTO for those still interested. We were going to hand on to the cloth and do an early Spring release in January.
Does that mean sizing would be limited to OTR options? Sorry, never done GMTO before. If that's the case, selfishly, I prefer MTM, but I'm obviously not the only one interested.

Wilson13

Reaction score
The hips have always been an issue for me with shirts, because my hip is bigger than chest/shoulders.

I'm aiming for a hybrid untucked/tucked fit.

It's after the first wash and I requested wash/dry before cutting so I think it may be ok.

The fabric is: IF-1991-MTM

You can also find it under: Texture --> Herringbone
You're gonna shoulder press/lateral raise/etc. that problem to oblivion...

Neutral

Reaction score
Here's my experience with the 42R Contemporary and Slim jackets. If there's one thing S&M needs to perfect, it's consistency in product. When I look at the three unaltered jackets hanging in my closet, two of them 42R C and one of the 42R S, there's a visible difference in all three. One is too long and big all around, the other is the perfect fit, and the last one is too short and tight.

The measurements on the website between the contemporary and slim jackets have a very, very minor difference (something around 0.3"); but when I tried on the 42R Slim, it was a much bigger difference than the measurements online lead me to believe.

In a nutshell, there is no concise answer here. The best way to figure out if the jacket will fit is to order it and try it on. And until S&M gets sizing consistency right, you and I will have to order + return to get every new jacket right - and in my case - if it's OOS and I really want it, send it off to the tailor and hope they'll work some magic on it!

EDIT: The safest thing to do is always to order the Contemporary and have the tailor adjust it to how you want it to look.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Would anyone be so kind, or be bale to, speak on the difference of fit between the contemporary and slim sport jacket fits? I have two slims in size 42R and they fit pretty well, but I have to have the waist taken in quite a bit, and I wouldn't want to see it much bigger elsewhere. A 40R gets too tight in my shoulder causing a protrusion, and is too tight across my upper back.

Does the contemporary only add room slightly in the wait circumference and length, as noted in the size guide? Or will it be roomier in the chest piece, arms, lower arm hole, etc. as well?

What I'm really wondering is if a contemporary would work as a sub for the slim if the slim is already on the roomier side through the torso?

Thank you to anyone who might have some insight!

They are made on different pattern blocks and graded differently, so there isn't a direct correlation between the two. Generally, the contemporary is cut with bigger proportions everywhere. If the shoulder of the 40R is not fitting you well, that means stick to the 42.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here's my experience with the 42R Contemporary and Slim jackets. If there's one thing S&M needs to perfect, it's consistency in product. When I look at the three unaltered jackets hanging in my closet, two of them 42R C and one of the 42R S, there's a visible difference in all three. One is too long and big all around, the other is the perfect fit, and the last one is too short and tight.

The measurements on the website between the contemporary and slim jackets have a very, very minor difference (something around 0.3"); but when I tried on the 42R Slim, it was a much bigger difference than the measurements online lead me to believe.

In a nutshell, there is no concise answer here. The best way to figure out if the jacket will fit is to order it and try it on. And until S&M gets sizing consistency right, you and I will have to order + return to get every new jacket right - and in my case - if it's OOS and I really want it, send it off to the tailor and hope they'll work some magic on it!

EDIT: The safest thing to do is always to order the Contemporary and have the tailor adjust it to how you want it to look.

The degree of consistency you're looking for only exists in very small batch manufacturing. There is always going to be manufacturing tolerances from season to to season, fabric to fabric and from factory to factory. Measurements are a fair guideline and a good gauge, but there is a +/- variation (generally 1 cm). If you have one jacket on the + side and the other jacket on the - side of the variation, then naturally, when comparing the two you will see/feel a noticeable difference. I'm not saying this as an excuse, this is just how any mass manufacturing in apparel works. The same is said for Suitsupply or J.Crew or Bonobos or anyone at a similar price point. We try to price the items to take into account a bit of tailoring on every piece so that even after tailoring, you're still ahead of the game. Some pieces you will need to let out, others will need to be nipped in.

Neutral

Reaction score
They are made on different pattern blocks and graded differently, so there isn't a direct correlation between the two. Generally, the contemporary is cut with bigger proportions everywhere. If the shoulder of the 40R is not fitting you well, that means stick to the 42.
Thank you!

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
The degree of consistency you're looking for only exists in very small batch manufacturing. There is always going to be manufacturing tolerances from season to to season, fabric to fabric and from factory to factory. Measurements are a fair guideline and a good gauge, but there is a +/- variation (generally 1 cm). If you have one jacket on the + side and the other jacket on the - side of the variation, then naturally, when comparing the two you will see/feel a noticeable difference. I'm not saying this as an excuse, this is just how any mass manufacturing in apparel works. The same is said for Suitsupply or J.Crew or Bonobos or anyone at a similar price point. We try to price the items to take into account a bit of tailoring on every piece so that even after tailoring, you're still ahead of the game. Some pieces you will need to let out, others will need to be nipped in.
Thanks, S&M for telling it the way it is. ??

RickyTakhar

Reaction score
Here is my latest MTM shirt.

Unfortunately, I'm now learning that slim fit shirts on my body type proobably aren't the greatest idea, so thinking about moving towards more of the contemporary fit.

I'm open to feedback as to what kind of silhouette would look good on my body type, because I have no idea.

Is it even a good idea to go MTM at the moment as I started weight training? I predict this shirt will be tight in 6 months.

@RickyTakhar
@Burzan

View attachment 1226231
View attachment 1226232
Too slim imo, sleeve length a little short also. Lower back needs some work, if your starting out in your fitness journey the shirt will be tight in a few months and unwearable in 6

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
IMG_0881.jpeg

IMG_0883.jpeg

neo fresco suit, linen popover

emergency & me

Reaction score
Has anyone gone through the refund process before? I returned some items and they arrived on the 14th after which I received an email asking if I'd like a refund via store credit or to my payment card. I haven't yet received my refund.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads