• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cr2596

Reaction score
I bought two of the linen BD collar shirts from this season (olive and light blue) during the recent sale and just tried them on. They are much bigger in the shoulders and longer in the sleeves than the 7-8 collared and OCBD shirts that I have in SM in the same size.

Did any of you guys experience this? Should I wash them with the expectation that they will shrink to the regular size or just return and size down? It’s a shame because they are beautiful in person!
I bought three, one blue, two white. I already had a blue from another year, so I only opened one white. Keeping the others as backup. Big mistake. The one I opened fit well. The other two, which I finally opened fit terribly. One quite literally fits only in the neck. Otherwise, it is a sail. No shape at all. The other is just too much fabric in spots, and the shoulders are to big. I waited so long to open them, I can't return them. A bummer for sure.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought two of the linen BD collar shirts from this season (olive and light blue) during the recent sale and just tried them on. They are much bigger in the shoulders and longer in the sleeves than the 7-8 collared and OCBD shirts that I have in SM in the same size.

Did any of you guys experience this? Should I wash them with the expectation that they will shrink to the regular size or just return and size down? It’s a shame because they are beautiful in person!
I measured my olive one this morning and I got the following measurements for 15/33 slim:

Shoulder: 9"
Shoulder seam to end of sleeve: 24.75"

Compared to the Lightweight Oxford in contemporary:
Shoulder: 9.25"

So doesn't feel too different to me.

Identity Crisis

Reaction score
Ha. I didn’t even realize I had that pin in. I’m in home lending. 75% of co workers wear a branded golf polo. The others that don’t look at me strangely for wearing a sportcoat,

As for the accounts, I’m new to the company and damn if they training isn’t nearly completely oriented towards missteps. I feel good about the approach and the new ethical measures they are ensuring to have the power to call something out.

All home lending is is golf polos and jeans haha

I’m in strategy at a bank and I even stick out sometimes, most execs/higher ups are in worsted plain suits/jackets. Not nearly as bad as you I assume though

abantigen

Reaction score
No. My point is as I'm in the store and I'm seeing the interaction with clients. None of the clients ask for specific details. Some say, I need a gray suit, I am a 40R . Sales persons shows them gray suits, while measuring them for alterations, I don't hear the client talk about things we talk about on SF.

There is no mention about peak lapel vs notch, high waist trousers etc. Most of the general public just care about a well fitting and decent quality item. They don't care about specific detail.

This is my in-store experience as well. I had to ask for cuffed trousers because the store associate measuring me for alterations didn't ask. When I went to pick it up it was uncuffed. He apologized and said he's so used to just selecting uncuffed by default because people rarely ask for cuffs.

From what I heard, they get way more business online than in stores but we have to keep in mind SF people are only a subset of the people buying online. I bet most people buying online are similar to people who go in stores and don't really sweat the details.

drfwtx

Reaction score
This is my in-store experience as well. I had to ask for cuffed trousers because the store associate measuring me for alterations didn't ask. When I went to pick it up it was uncuffed. He apologized and said he's so used to just selecting uncuffed by default because people rarely ask for cuffs.

From what I heard, they get way more business online than in stores but we have to keep in mind SF people are only a subset of the people buying online. I bet most people buying online are similar to people who go in stores and don't really sweat the details.
I also think a big crowd might be the dappered.com crowd, which seems to primarily be interested in cost with decent aesthetics, and for very few, details.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think a big crowd might be the dappered.com crowd, which seems to primarily be interested in cost with decent aesthetics, and for very few, details.
Heh. Dappered doesn’t even care about fit. The whole site is shoulder divots, stretched sleeves, and bowed lapels.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought three, one blue, two white. I already had a blue from another year, so I only opened one white. Keeping the others as backup. Big mistake. The one I opened fit well. The other two, which I finally opened fit terribly. One quite literally fits only in the neck. Otherwise, it is a sail. No shape at all. The other is just too much fabric in spots, and the shoulders are to big. I waited so long to open them, I can't return them. A bummer for sure.
I measured my olive one this morning and I got the following measurements for 15/33 slim:

Shoulder: 9"

Compared to the Lightweight Oxford in contemporary:
Shoulder: 9.25"

So doesn't feel too different to me.
One more data point. I bought two last year, and two this year. (including the olive, which is my favorite. great color). All fit long in the sleeve compared to the same size cotton sm dress shirts. I have assumed that was a deliberate choice by Rick, to offset anticipated shrinking. All but one fit the same in the shoulders and chest as do the cotton. The one exception, the Natural, is bigger all around.

As for anticipated shrinking? Just a wee bit, no more than with cotton, with cold wash flat dry.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some brand, starts with H and the second word with B, has the same fabric as S&M. Tried it on but looks like crap compared to the Neapolitan cut of S&M

IMG_20190620_125724.jpg

bnd6xc

Reaction score
I've not seen much chatter about it lately, but I'm here to say that the Drago light gray houndstooth is by far my favorite jacket of the season (an unexpected surprise). There seem to be a few hanging around which I don't understand. Word to the wise: the fabric, price and versatility are all excellent.

Someone has to have some enablement photos that do it more justice than I can.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
I've not seen much chatter about it lately, but I'm here to say that the Drago light gray houndstooth is by far my favorite jacket of the season (an unexpected surprise). There seem to be a few hanging around which I don't understand. Word to the wise: the fabric, price and versatility are all excellent.

Someone has to have some enablement photos that do it more justice than I can.

I agree and furthermore I suspect it will go beautifully with the green vbc fresco trousers. I grabbed both during the flash sale and can't wait til they get here.

aggie_aloha

Reaction score
Just wondering how everyone's ordering experience has been with S&M? I ordered something during the memorial day sale and so far the experience hasn't been the best. I find myself having to reach out to them to confirm if the order and request for pant swap/belt loop was received, status of order, and also tracking information - sometimes with a very delayed response. I do provide a reasonable amount of time of radio silence before I reach out. Maybe I'm spoiled, but most things I order online proactively provides this information or at least has a responsive line of communication. Just wondering if the lack of communication is the norm. I.E. it shows up when it shows up.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how everyone's ordering experience has been with S&M? I ordered something during the memorial day sale and so far the experience hasn't been the best. I find myself having to reach out to them to confirm if the order and request for pant swap/belt loop was received, status of order, and also tracking information - sometimes with a very delayed response. I do provide a reasonable amount of time of radio silence before I reach out. Maybe I'm spoiled, but most things I order online proactively provides this information or at least has a responsive line of communication. Just wondering if the lack of communication is the norm. I.E. it shows up when it shows up.
For OTR, every product I've bought in the past 3 years has been delivered within 7-10 days.

For MTM, not a single product I've bought in the past 3 years has fallen in line with the 4-6 weeks that have been suggested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads