• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this site. I had some bad luck with Suitsupply trying to get my size right. I normally take a 38L and tried that in their Napoli fit, which fit fine in most aspects (shoulder is a tad extended but I don't mind as it drapes cleanly), but the sleeves are comically short. Probably need 2 inches to look right and can't do that with functional buttons. I'm considering trying S&M as they do carry a 38L in one of their contemporary fit suits. Are the size charts accurate? I got burned by SS's size charts on the sleeve length. Does anyone own a 40L contemporary and have the sleeve length measurement? I assume it'd be no more than .5 inches longer than a 38L.
Seemed accurate to me but there are variances of a couple centimeters here and there. I find the sleeves to be relatively long, personally.

dhizzy123

Reaction score
Hmm. The SS sleeve measurement I took was 25 inches on a 38L jacket, which is either a factory error or bad pattern making. Should be at least 26 inches to be considered a long size sleeve. Does S&M's 38L hit around 26 inches?

weissmenswear

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this site. I had some bad luck with Suitsupply trying to get my size right. I normally take a 38L and tried that in their Napoli fit, which fit fine in most aspects (shoulder is a tad extended but I don't mind as it drapes cleanly), but the sleeves are comically short. Probably need 2 inches to look right and can't do that with functional buttons. I'm considering trying S&M as they do carry a 38L in one of their contemporary fit suits. Are the size charts accurate? I got burned by SS's size charts on the sleeve length. Does anyone own a 40L contemporary and have the sleeve length measurement? I assume it'd be no more than .5 inches longer than a 38L.

I have the same issue with SS but in their 40R... sleeves are just too damn short and tailoring those functional sleeves costs so much that you end up in MTM land pretty quickly. I own four Spier jackets and a suit and first off, their OTR sleeve length is a good half inch longer than SS, and then with the non functioning buttons, I can easily get my tailor to bring them out another half inch for about $35-40. Love the Spier and Mackay sportcoats. Often you’ll find the exact same fabrics as SS and the construction quality is right on par, so for the money, and those of us with slightly longer than normal arms, nothing touches Spier and Mackay right now.

dhizzy123

Reaction score
I have the same issue with SS but in their 40R... sleeves are just too damn short and tailoring those functional sleeves costs so much that you end up in MTM land pretty quickly. I own four Spier jackets and a suit and first off, their OTR sleeve length is a good half inch longer than SS, and then with the non functioning buttons, I can easily get my tailor to bring them out another half inch for about $35-40. Love the Spier and Mackay sportcoats. Often you’ll find the exact same fabrics as SS and the construction quality is right on par, so for the money, and those of us with slightly longer than normal arms, nothing touches Spier and Mackay right now.
Thanks for the info. Even a half inch is an improvement and with the non-functional buttons I can probably get the tailor to take out an extra inch if needed. I think I'll try it out. What is the drop for the pants sizes?

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, the 36S new linen suit's jacket is much longer than the same sized 36S sportjackets which makes it into the R territory. Luckily with suits I prefer it longer anyway to cover the belt but this difference should be noted on the size chart. Not sure if you guys find the suit's jacket as always longer than the sportcoat. But in my experience the sportcoats have always been shorter than what is listed on the chart. Here are what I measured:

28" boc

27.3" boc

Last edited:

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

just measured my 40l cont and 40 l cont neo. Both are unaltered and both are 66,5 cm = 26.4 inches.

JHud

Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of the semi spread collar denim shirt in the wild? I wanted the denim with the BD collar but unfortunately didn’t act fast enough.

drfwtx

Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of the semi spread collar denim shirt in the wild? I wanted the denim with the BD collar but unfortunately didn’t act fast enough.
2D6CC313-C285-471A-AFEE-24CE350538B2.jpeg

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
Flash sale on linen jackets and trousers. Great deal.
linensale.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads