• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why the irrational fear of Contemporary? It's not like a Brooks Brothers potato sack, just a tad bit more room compared to Slim (which is quite slim, even by 2019 standards!)
FWIW, I'm fairly thin and most people found my 36 contemporary to look "slim" on me.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This ^

People must not be paying too much attention to the size chart. It's only .4" extra in the chest and .8" extra in the waist, when moving from slim to the contemporary (comparing against the same cloth of course). I own jackets in both fits and honestly they are pretty much the same depending on the cutting tolerances on any given cloth. I have contemps that fit like slims and slims that fit like contemps.

Not quite as normal people have been commenting the slim looks much better than the contemp before any alteration. Even after waist alterations on both they still prefer the slim cut.

everyday

Reaction score
All S&M today.

Also question...has anyone opened up the chest on their coats? I'm b/w and 38 slim and contemporary. I think slim is better but I could use some more room in the chest. Wondering if it's an easy job on these.

View attachment 1190378
I found that this is actually a good idea most of the time over sizing up imo. My spine rounds out toward the shoulders and it’s just more work to size up and take in the body and shorten the collar to adjust the fit on the shoulder and upper body. As long as there is enough fabric and you know where you need to let it out, why not?
Although maybe for more room it might still be smart to size up.
Also this fit is fantastic, I’m very jealous :p

soaped

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I had a better picture. Here is a contemporary suit (both jacket and pants). I consider myself skinny as hell but I enjoy every extra inch of room in that armhole. And mentioning the pants - I need every bit of room in the hip, thigh and knee area. If these garments were any slimmer I'd need to size up on everything.

I tried a slim pair of pants once and I couldn't put the pants on because the hip and legs were so slim. Power to the people who can wear them, they are truly slim fit.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

ULCajun

Reaction score
Just a heads up on sizing with the new oxfords. Shrunk 1 inch after a cold wash/air dry. Thankfully I sized up

Attachments

• 38F4721C-8168-4928-9CF6-C11E91C5507B.jpeg
    38F4721C-8168-4928-9CF6-C11E91C5507B.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads