• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alrighty,

So I checked the pockets of my polo coat and I can confirm it's shallow as other people have been posting about their sport jackets/coats etc.

Not a big deal for me as I don't put anything other my keys and cell phone in the pockets.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious why you care so much? Or why you come of as a complete dick to other members on just about every thread I've seen you post in? How about keeping some negative comments to yourself?
Being direct and rational with him won’t work. @SJR3 admits to drunk-posting that ****. Plus he enjoys the reaction when he hurts people. This forum becomes much more fun after you hit the Ignore button.

conak

Reaction score
What's so great about the 3/2 if the 3rd button is covered by the lapel, thus making it look like a normal 2 button jacket anyway?

Most of my jackets and suits are 3 roll 2. Although I recognize they aren’t particularly in style (as far as classic menswear can be considered so), it looks better to my eye than a 2 button for several reasons. The 3rd button on a good 3roll2 with decent canvassing actually can be used, and for anything except high summer it looks silly to me to wear a jacket that can’t close much higher than the navel. Also, with almost every overcoat, the line of the jacket with 3 buttons closed layers nicely while the 2 button jackets angle too low. The versatility makes it less of an affectation to my eye than a two button jacket.

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply.

No, I wasn't attempting to offer a useful critique. @madhat 's sheer number of posts as well as the insane level of self-assuredness he espouses tells me that he isn't open to feedback or critique. I was merely offering my brutally honest thoughts, thoughts which many others no doubt share but keep to themselves. So yes, I was just being a bit of a dick with my bluntness.... or "venting" as you put it.

I appreciate the honesty. You can be honest without being aggressive. Try it sometime, you might even like it.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of these merino sweaters, they make really great layering pieces:
9098BCF4-F868-4C94-92A6-63A3DFAD88AA.jpeg

Textures:
B27FA215-6433-4FBF-BAC7-2158D7E1C11B.jpeg

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 3rd button on a good 3roll2 with decent canvassing actually can be used, and for anything except high summer it looks silly to me to wear a jacket that can’t close much higher than the navel.
Agreed! My favourite jacket is a 2-button silk/linen that I wear in every season, and I’ve considered defying conventional wisdom by having a 3rd button added.

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Question for all of you SM suit wearers (apologies if this is frequently asked):

I recently purchased my first suit from SM and overall it's awesome - the 38 slim jacket fits great. However, the 32 slim trousers that accompany them are quite slim, especially through the calf (so they don't really drape well, even though they're flannel). Is this a common experience? Is it common to buy a slim jacket and mix it with contep trouers?

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for all of you SM suit wearers (apologies if this is frequently asked):

I recently purchased my first suit from SM and overall it's awesome - the 38 slim jacket fits great. However, the 32 slim trousers that accompany them are quite slim, especially through the calf (so they don't really drape well, even though they're flannel). Is this a common experience? Is it common to buy a slim jacket and mix it with contep trouers?

Yes. Must have your size to do so.

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yes. Must have your size to do so.

Sure thing, I know that getting to pick and choose sizes like that is a bit of a luxury and definitely stock dependent. I'm just curious if it's common to do this swap or if I'm alone in thinking that slim jacket + contemp trousers are a good match.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Every body shape is different. I’m a 40long slim jacket and 32 contemp trouser.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure thing, I know that getting to pick and choose sizes like that is a bit of a luxury and definitely stock dependent. I'm just curious if it's common to do this swap or if I'm alone in thinking that slim jacket + contemp trousers are a good match.

Lots of guys on here do it. No problem at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads