• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my Jacket after getting the sleeves shortened. The issue with removing the lower button is not being able to get a new buttonhole stitched on. So if i remove the bottom button and reattach it as a top button, that button would just be sewed on without a buttonhole like the rest. Haven't decided what to do yet, but might just remove the botton button and buttonhole all together and have just 3 buttons

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No tailor is voluntarily going to put back on a false button hole. Most regular tailor shops don't even have a buttonhole machine, or want to do it. Drop a button and go with 3.

And the advertisement for "easy tailoring" is for the actual shortening of the sleeve, not for replacing the button hole.

Not that it makes any difference here, but this is another reason I prefer MTM.
Of course the price is much more if the OTR fits you well, and a sleeve button is a small concession to make.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For sleeve buttons, when we move them on OTR, the tailor just removes the false button holes. All of them, then repositions the buttons. Sometimes is as simple as moving the bottom button to the top, which is only a single button. Very easy to do.

TOBestWR

Reaction score
Hello Rick,

When can we espect a restock of basic white and light blue shirts? I really need some new ones.

Thank you

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...I'd really like to have the standard 1.25" or so of space between the last button and the end of the sleeves.

View attachment 838633

Saville Row standard is 1.25" to the center of the 1st button. You're right to want that.

zinc2162

Reaction score
I saw the outerwear on the site now. When will they be available in store? I would like to try them on.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore a little SM yesterday haha, everything but belt and Galways.

2017-09-05 17.13.02_edited.jpg

2017-09-05 15.01.27_edited.jpg

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
And the advertisement for "easy tailoring" is for the actual shortening of the sleeve, not for replacing the button hole.

Shortening the sleeves but keeping the buttons at the proper distance from the end of the sleeve, right? Isn't that why non-functioning buttons are advertised as a good thing in OTR suits? Obviously an actual button hole can't be removed/repositioned, so functioning cuffs leave no other option than to leave the buttons wherever they were in the first place.

Or are you saying it's actually a more difficult tailoring job (never mind button placement) to shorten sleeves with working buttons? I've had an MTM suit with functional buttons that needed a small sleeve adjustment (quarter inch, so it wasn't enough to worry about buttons being too close to the end) and my tailor did the work just fine without batting an eye.

For sleeve buttons, when we move them on OTR, the tailor just removes the false button holes. All of them, then repositions the buttons. Sometimes is as simple as moving the bottom button to the top, which is only a single button. Very easy to do.

I think I'll opt for this. Would be nice to still have the fake buttonholes, but I'd rather forego them and have all 4 buttons and in the proper place. I suppose I could ask my tailor to sew actual functioning buttonholes. Anyone had this done or have an idea of what it should cost?

Chambertin

Reaction score
I have learned the following by asking many questions of my tailor:

Functional buttonholes: You can't move them, you can shorten/lengthen (assuming fabric) a little, maybe 0.5" at most, but that's it.
Sewn buttons: Subject to the amount of fabric, you can do whatever you want, shorten, lengthen, turn them into fake/functional buttonholes or just sewn buttons.
Fake buttonholes: Can be removed entirely, though a bit more expensive than sewn buttonholes since they have to remove the stitching for the fake buttonholes. Your tailor can then do whatever you want, shorten, lengthen, turn them into fake/functional buttonholes or just sewn buttons.

The two keypoints is that is that your typical alterations tailor won't have the machine to do machine buttonholes (whether fake or functional). However, some tailor's may have the proper equipment and skill (assuming you want to pay for the work.)
Second, when you rip out the fake buttonholes, the thread is lost, which usually matches the jacket in some way. The tailor won't have that exact thread, so it becomes another issue where you have to weight the pros and cons.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
IMG_3203.JPG

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really digging the Copper Linen Suite as a stand alone Jacket. Still hot enough here in Texas to wear it for another month or so.

View attachment 839232

BTW...with respect the prior topic on sleeve buttons, I opted to have this jacket's sleeves shortened at the shoulders to keep the faux buttonholes intact. Cost a few more $$ but I like the appearance of buttonholes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads