• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my tobacco wool/linen suit for the first time tonight! No outdoor shots but I'll put up a pic tomorrow, just wanted to say how much I totally loved wearing it. I'm going to make excuses to wear this thing from now on, it is an awesome suit and I cannot recommend it enough. Got a ton of praise for it.

Update, pics - not great quality unfortunately but hopefully people get a better idea:

Spier & Mackay suit and shirt, Knottery pointed knit, Kent Wang square, Florsheim Imperial shell tassel loafers

Last edited:

Chambertin

Reaction score
Looks great! I have one too, I haven't gotten around to getting it tailored. Now that it's warming up, it's top of my to do list.

NickInTO

Reaction score
Damn, I've been going back and forth about using that MTM deal to get a suit made up in that fabric. Yours looks so good, I'm going to have to try to get to Mississauga.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cream herringbone flannel shirt with soft spread collar. I picked this up on sale with my OCBDs. The second button position on this one is terrible. Way too low. I probably won't ever wear it without a tie because of that.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@An Acute Style

Picture of it?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Cream herringbone flannel shirt with soft spread collar. I picked this up on sale with my OCBDs. The second button position on this one is terrible. Way too low. I probably won't ever wear it without a tie because of that.

Well put together sir.

That button stance should be 2 1/4" - 2 1/2", which is the standard North American Stance. But because there is very little structure in the collar, it will limp open. We learned, and why we've shifted to the new European inspired stance.

Last edited:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@An Acute Style

Picture of it?

None at the moment. The shirt is in the wash at the moment. I'll try to give it a go next week.

Well put together sir.

That button stance should be 2 1/4" - 2 1/2", which is the standard North American Stance. But because there is very little structure in the collar, it will limp open. We learned, and why we've shifted to the new European inspired stance.

Thanks. That makes sense. My new MTM shirts have the same low button stance, but don't gape open as much because of the structured collars. The button stance on the new OCBDs is much preferred.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
None at the moment. The shirt is in the wash at the moment. I'll try to give it a go next week.

Thanks. That makes sense. My new MTM shirts have the same low button stance, but don't gape open as much because of the structured collars. The button stance on the new OCBDs is much preferred.

You can specify the button stance you want on your custom shirts. Just advise the the position of the button down from the bottom of the collar band.

I think on the oxfords, the stance is 2 1/4", as the button down keeps the placket closed for the most part. The dress shirts are at 1 1/2" - 1 3/4".

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suggestion for anyone in the market for custom shirts. I just got my OCBDs out of the wash. I'm finding that they fit better than my custom shirt in which I tried to measure my best fitting shirt. Since S&M has OTR options, it may have been a good idea for me to buy an OTR shirt and base my changes off that for my custom shirt. I may do that for my future orders instead of trying to further perfect my current custom shirt. The OTR 15 slim is almost perfect, but the sleeves could be a bit longer.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@An Acute Style I have the same herringbone shirts (in red and blue though, not in cream) and I wear them unbuttoned, casually, all the time. I do not have a problem with the button placement. But then again, as much as I'm a sucker for collar specs, I haven't been bitten by the "over-worried-about-second-button-placement" bug.

Now that you've mentioned it, though, I hope I won't notice it more.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
S&M can also copy shirts, I think. I just ordered three and will be sending in a shirt in the next couple days.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suggestion for anyone in the market for custom shirts. I just got my OCBDs out of the wash. I'm finding that they fit better than my custom shirt in which I tried to measure my best fitting shirt. Since S&M has OTR options, it may have been a good idea for me to buy an OTR shirt and base my changes off that for my custom shirt. I may do that for my future orders instead of trying to further perfect my current custom shirt. The OTR 15 slim is almost perfect, but the sleeves could be a bit longer.

I am noticing the same for the 15.5 Contemporary, fits really great but maybe need a hair longer sleeves as well if I decide to go custom (read as: instakop the speckled chambray if the fabric hits custom again). FIt is a little better than my custom shirts through the chest and body though.

@An Acute Style I have the same herringbone shirts (in red and blue though, not in cream) and I wear them unbuttoned, casually, all the time. I do not have a problem with the button placement. But then again, as much as I'm a sucker for collar specs, I haven't been bitten by the "over-worried-about-second-button-placement" bug.

Now that you've mentioned it, though, I hope I won't notice it more.

I had three flannels done up custom with button down collars, love them but the blue one was my first shot at custom and didn't come out the greatest (A bit short and the collar too stiff). The second two worked out well, especially love the blue and red flannel.

Last edited:

fieldofdreams

Reaction score

Shirt is MTM from @spiermackay. It's the extreme spread, which I asked for (and received) unfused. It's a great collar option available MTM.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads