• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got an XL polo and washed it in the icy water of the Norwegian fjords and hung it to air dry. I went back the next day to find only empty clothes pegs hanging on the line.
That is because you hung it! You should of laid it flat to dry on the dewy frost ground so the fibers could freeze, therefore preventing shrinkage from occurring

Reaction score
So I received a pair of garment dyed cotton shorts and noticed the pleats don't look right; one is forward and the other one reverse.

Have I received a defective pair or the factory messed them up? Does anybody own a pair of these and can check and confirm?

IMG_2254.jpg

burgerkong

Reaction score
Are the custom shirting fabrics seasonal? Noticed there are no more whites (the linen notwithstanding) in the selector, should I be emailing them if I want something that isn't listed?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are the custom shirting fabrics seasonal? Noticed there are no more whites (the linen notwithstanding) in the selector, should I be emailing them if I want something that isn't listed?
Good luck! I’ve been emailing support and pinging Ricky on Insta for a few months about adding some white to the custom shirting. He says they have the fabric, but can’t get it added to the site. They eventually added some poplin for me to I ordered that and then gave up.

A12321

Reaction score
So I received a pair of garment dyed cotton shorts and noticed the pleats don't look right; one is forward and the other one reverse.

Have I received a defective pair or the factory messed them up? Does anybody own a pair of these and can check and confirm?

View attachment 1965649
That definitely does not look right

SteveMc

Reaction score

View attachment 1965649
Definitely a defect. Return.

sydneycider

Reaction score
Spier is the only clothes maker which forces you to pay this much attention to how you launder their wares. I have never experienced greater variability in how washing/drying impacts the clothes in my life (and also in sizing, but that’s another story). :confused2:
Price we pay, when S&M is good it's really good but the inconsistency drives me up the wall.

blewnote1

Reaction score
I picked one up and it arrived right before I left for tour/vacation.

It's a nice cloth, cool looking blue/black hopsack, very open and lightweight, but very unstructured. I got the green VBC mesh jacket last summer, which is also completely unlined/unstructured and that feels more structured due to the cloth. This really is more like a shirt, but cut in the Neo 2 jacket pattern.

I was on the fence about sending it back for something with more structure but I really like the lightweight breathable nature of the VBC mesh jacket and I think this will fill a similar role. It definitely leans casual but in the dead of the summer in New Orleans (when I would wear it most) I'll be throwing it on over polos and short sleeve shirts so I think it should be fine. Maybe even be able to get away with a linen shirt and knit tie.

This is drapey, but not like iron, more comfy robe drapey.

taargus_taargus

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the size differences between the slim and extra slim? I've read the sizing charts, but just looking if anyone has direct experience. I'm eyeing some of the linen shirts, but they don't have them in the size I usually wear. Xslim fits perfect, so I'm wondering how much of a step up the slim is. 5'7, ~125lbs

Last edited:

ptfly

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the size differences between the slim and extra slim? I've read the sizing charts, but just looking if anyone has direct experience. I'm eyeing some of the linen shirts, but they dont and them in the size I usually wear. Xslim fits perfect, so I'm wondering how much of a step up the slim is. 5'7, ~125lbs
I would stick to Xslim. I am 6'1" 165, gym rat. 40 reg and 32 slim pant. Linen already is blousy due to it's stiffness so a slim on you will probably have a lot of extra fabric from the chest down. The shoulder is a bit broader too.
You can look at the specs posted and see if going down 1/2 neck size compares to your normal Xslim size. For me that makes the sleeves too short but it might work for you. I have tried a couple of slims and just think they are too full for my shape.
Have another look at their specs/fit for shirtings.
Unfortunately some new linens are only sized in slim and up so my wallet is safe for now. I tend to like their linen/cotton blends more anyway.

taargus_taargus

Reaction score
I would stick to Xslim. I am 6'1" 165, gym rat. 40 reg and 32 slim pant. Linen already is blousy due to it's stiffness so a slim on you will probably have a lot of extra fabric from the chest down. The shoulder is a bit broader too.
You can look at the specs posted and see if going down 1/2 neck size compares to your normal Xslim size. For me that makes the sleeves too short but it might work for you. I have tried a couple of slims and just think they are too full for my shape.
Have another look at their specs/fit for shirtings.
Unfortunately some new linens are only sized in slim and up so my wallet is safe for now. I tend to like their linen/cotton blends more anyway.
That was what I feared, but wanted to come here to check. I was really liking the blue striped purple label, but oh well! My wallet will be fatter too! 😂

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really can't blame Spier since I'm sure the RTW sizing isn't nearly as problematic for others, but man all these pretty sweet looking linen shirts as sport shirts rather than dress shirts is a bummer. All unfortunate nonstarters for me.

JTrent82

Reaction score
I really can't blame Spier since I'm sure the RTW sizing isn't nearly as problematic for others, but man all these pretty sweet looking linen shirts as sport shirts rather than dress shirts is a bummer. All unfortunate nonstarters for me.
Is it just the sleeve length that's no good or...?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads