• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once placed an order for a MTO SC but ended up receiving one in another fabric than requested. They offered it to me for half the price if I wanted to keep it or a full refund and remake. I chose the latter. They refunded me and said they'll send a return shipping label, which they didn't. I emailed and reminded them but received no answer nor return shipping label.

Swag...

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Anyone know how much you can let out a MTO sport coat? Just received one and it’s a little tight. I’m also currently fatter than my usual weight haha, so once I get more active this spring it’ll be ok but just wanted to know what others experiences were. Would prob only need to let out ~0.5-1” if at all in the future. Next order i’ll definitely build in a little more room in the waist measurement to be safe

I've had this happen and the bad news is, you only have about 1" to work with for the MTO jackets, and that's with the tailor milking all the seams for everything they've got. Kind of a good reason for you to get back to your fighting weight, I guess.

Interestingly, my SM RTW jackets have way more inlay in the seams. I imagine the logic behind this is, the RTW one has to fit a wider range of sizes, whereas the MTO one just has to fit the numbers that the customer specified. This was actually kind of unexpected since one of the smaller selling points of MTM/bespoke is that they put in extra fabric so that it can see you through more years, since, you know, we're mostly only going to be getting bigger.

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the heavy canvas chinos? How is the fabric, and are there any sizing quirks I should be aware of?

I largely agree with your points overall, but since I happen to own one of the waxed Touring jackets I feel compelled to comment on this. The waxed jackets are actually really good. Almost surprisingly so. I prefer it over anything I've tried from Barbour, even if they were priced the same. Sturdier 8 oz. Millerain shell (I believe Barbour mostly use 6 oz.?) and an included liner makes it significantly better value imo, and design-wise I think it looks better than anything from Barbour as well. More like Belstaff than Barbour, but at half the price and without the tasteless branding. On a purely subjective note, the S&M also fits me much better than Barbour. The latter tends to be either overly boxy and/or have an awkwardly long or short body length. The quality of my S&M seems to be at least on par with Barbour, if not slightly superior.

I think the waxed jackets are the best addition to their casual outerwear lineup over the last 3-4 years. Certainly my favorite (I haven't tried the suede jackets). The field jackets are a close second, but there's still a few obvious improvements that could be made to those. I wish they'd focus more on improving the proven hits than carpet bombing us with a dozen new styles every season, though. Fewer but better/more interesting fabric choices would be nice too, especially for the overshirts and chore coats.

I’ve been eyeing the touring jackets for a few months now but didn’t pull the trigger since I already have a bedale (although too short for me). Which color did you get and could you provide a photo of you wearing it?

Bidouleroux

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in and add that if SM weren't doing all those casual pieces there's a lot of stuff I wouldn't have tried due to lack of interest/time in searching for good yet still affordable alternatives on my own. Things like Harrington jackets and chunky shawl cardigans come to mind in particular. Even the latest batch of sweats were pretty nice too.

BananaKing

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m just wondering how low rise are the non-high rise trousers? I feel the high rise are just marginally too high but I also don’t want pants sitting on the hip bones.

I’ve trawled through the thread images but can’t get a good grasp of this.

Thanks for the help

blewnote1

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m just wondering how low rise are the non-high rise trousers? I feel the high rise are just marginally too high but I also don’t want pants sitting on the hip bones.

Thanks for the help

The rise for each is specified in the size guide, so just compare.

That said, I feel like there's not that much of a difference, and honestly the high rise isn't quite high enough to begin with.

sydneycider

Reaction score

Thanks for the help
S&M high rise is about an inch higher than their standard rise.

The S&M high rise is not even particularly high, it's a pretty classic mid rise. You're probably just not used to it.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wowzers in me trousers...

Please tell me what type of razor you use so I can be sure to avoid it myself. I haven't seen that much neck irritation since I caught your mom trying to mess with my boyfriend's cpap device.
Bahahahaha. Take that one back to the workshop, big fella. That’s so bad I legitimately laughed reading it.
And, I mean, if that truly is the worst razor burn you’ve seen, methinks your giggleberries mightn’t have dropped into their pouch yet.

taargus_taargus

Reaction score
Can anyone speak to how to S-22 jacket fits? I've previously bought some outerwear but they fit pretty snug, and I've pretty small for my size. Was wondering if I can wear a shirt + Flannel or any other combination of two layers underneath without it fitting too trim.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bahahahaha. Take that one back to the workshop, big fella. That’s so bad I legitimately laughed reading it.
And, I mean, if that truly is the worst razor burn you’ve seen, methinks your giggleberries mightn’t have dropped into their pouch yet.
The little dingleberry deleted his account lol. Definitely NOT a troll, surely.
@BomTrady you think Dark Star made a burner account hahahah?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads