• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Rick once told me that the premium fabrics are very expensive, like Fox Bros, and thet they don't sell as good as you'd expect.

I bought the brown Fox Air suit during a sale-on-sale promo, and then managed to snag a second pair of the trousers during another sale-on-sale. An absolute score to have a Fox Air suit with 2 pairs of trousers for a rock bottom price (and the trousers work well as odd trousers too).

Out of curiosity I checked the Merchant Fox to see how much it would cost me (a non-tailor) to buy just the quantity of Fox Air fabric used in my suit and trousers. The retail price of the fabric alone costs more than I paid for the suit and trousers.

Unbeatable deal.

(But more importantly, the suit and trousers are lovely and I will wear them a lot.)

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spier needs to make it easier for us to know what we're buying. And yeah- that applies to QC and size consistency.
This is my only real complaint with S&M. The size charts look really impressive but the reality is you have to wait for others to buy the item and post about it here or you take a gamble on your size and be prepared to do a return or miss out. And when hemming makes the item non-refundable then the gamble gets harder. I went from a size large in 2018 knitwear to a size small in 2022 knitwear - I didn’t shrink, they just switched factories.

On the plus side, customer service is pretty good about refunding stuff out of spec, but it still irritates me when they are knowingly selling things they know are sized so differently to the advertisement. In 2019 I ordered the tobacco linen suit and a bunch of linen shirts for summer. By the time I tried them on I realized the shirts were all really roomy and the suit an extra 1.5” long. Rick flippantly posted here that they knew and were recommending to anyone who asked to size down.

Like everyone here, I’m interested enough in this stuff that I’m willing to do the research and take the risks, but for the average buyer the poor QC and size inconsistencies would be a deal breaker.

tailored john

Reaction score
Anyone know how much you can let out a MTO sport coat? Just received one and it’s a little tight. I’m also currently fatter than my usual weight haha, so once I get more active this spring it’ll be ok but just wanted to know what others experiences were. Would prob only need to let out ~0.5-1” if at all in the future. Next order i’ll definitely build in a little more room in the waist measurement to be safe
I have a MTO suit that fit me perfectly about 20 pounds ago. If you can let yours out please let me know. I am worried that there won't be enough fabric to let mine out.

PicUPoN

Reaction score
How much time has everyone been seeing pass between order being placed and getting notified of shipping? Placed an order last week and still do not have any update. Or is it just a waiting game for it to arrive at some point?

classicoutfits

Reaction score
How much time has everyone been seeing pass between order being placed and getting notified of shipping? Placed an order last week and still do not have any update. Or is it just a waiting game for it to arrive at some point?
I have ordered more than 10 separate orders. All shipped within 1 week except for alteration ones

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever randomly gotten an extra sport coat that they didn't order included in a shipment?
I once placed an order for a MTO SC but ended up receiving one in another fabric than requested. They offered it to me for half the price if I wanted to keep it or a full refund and remake. I chose the latter. They refunded me and said they'll send a return shipping label, which they didn't. I emailed and reminded them but received no answer nor return shipping label.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All Spier
Oatmeal Donegal
Cotton flannel shirt
Chukka
PXL_20230325_204512624~2.jpg

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait what? They issued credit for an item you didn't pay for?
My guess is they probably wanted to make it right as him returning the sportcoat requires spending time he shouldn't have to to return the thing, alongside saving them a loss so they can sell the SC again; just a theory

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads