• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying To Jump Start Spring!

20230203_214158.jpg

20230203_214522.jpg

20230203_214248.jpg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes spring summer. You don’t like them?
Early on, of course, so too soon to say confidently, but, in a word, no. The bulk of what I’ve seen are immediate passes for me.
That said, big fan of their IG post today. May well be something I wind up ogling (perhaps a bit bold for my boring self) unless/until it hands around until a sale, but TBD. In any event, as mentioned many times, I’m boring, so perhaps it’s no great shock I’m a bit ambivalent.
I will say, neither good nor bad, I’d love to chat with Rick and the team to get their POV on certain styling choices. Primarily, what they decide to “fancify” (Milanese lapel, full canvas, etc) and what they don’t. For the life of me I’ll never understand why something like Quest Cotton suit winds up with the Milanese lapel, whereas the charcoal sharkskin from FW (which I recently bought, FWIW) did not. Not that the latter needs it, but it seems far more suited to the fancier touches than a summer cotton suit

Imperatores

Reaction score
I will say, neither good nor bad, I’d love to chat with Rick and the team to get their POV on certain styling choices. Primarily, what they decide to “fancify” (Milanese lapel, full canvas, etc) and what they don’t. For the life of me I’ll never understand why something like Quest Cotton suit winds up with the Milanese lapel, whereas the charcoal sharkskin from FW (which I recently bought, FWIW) did not. Not that the latter needs it, but it seems far more suited to the fancier touches than a summer cotton suit
My guess is that they decide based on who they think are the most likely buyers. While I agree that a charcoal sharkskin is more deserving of the "fancier" touches, it's also a pretty standard suiting fabric that will likely attract buyers from all parts of their suit-buying customer base. I'm assuming that the quest cotton offerings are bought almost exclusively by us SF weirdos and similarly minded enthusiasts. People who recognize and appreciate (and are willing to pay for) nicer touches like a Milanese buttonhole or full canvas construction. I could be completely off, though.

I agree that most of the SS stuff they've shown so far have been underwhelming, btw. I kind of like the gray linen blend hopsack, but it's ruined by the peak lapels. Hopefully they have some nice wool-silk-linen blends coming at least.

Edit: That charcoal sharkskin looks damn nice... No idea why I didn't really give it a second look until you mentioned it now. Long gone in my size of course. Enjoy it! Hopefully it isn't too sober for your endless collection of wild shirts and ties. :D

Last edited:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess is that they decide based on who they think are the most likely buyers. While I agree that a charcoal sharkskin is more deserving of the "fancier" touches, it's also a pretty standard suiting fabric that will likely attract buyers from all parts of their suit-buying customer base. I'm assuming that the quest cotton offerings are bought almost exclusively by us SF weirdos and similarly minded enthusiasts. People who recognize and appreciate (and are willing to pay for) nicer touches like a Milanese buttonhole or full canvas construction. I could be completely off, though.

I agree that most of the SS stuff they've shown so far have been underwhelming, btw. I kind of like the gray linen blend hopsack, but it's ruined by the peak lapels. Hopefully they have some nice wool-silk-linen blends coming at least.
Like I said, neither good nor bad, but would be interesting to know the “why” behind it. Pure speculation, but the Minnis sharkskin is something I’d think would be well suited to the bells and whistles treatment.
Speaking of the Quest suit (also neither good nor bad), if it is presented correctly it is the first Milanese half-canvas getup I’ve seen.

classicoutfits

Reaction score

Edit: That charcoal sharkskin looks damn nice... No idea why I didn't really give it a second look until you mentioned it now. Long gone in my size of course. Enjoy it! Hopefully it isn't too sober for your endless collection of wild shirts and ties. :D
I like the brown houndstooth, and the check from today. I would have most likely bought the grey hopsack if it was a notch lapel. Peak lapel on a causal jacket doesn’t add up to me

aglagl

Reaction score
Looking at a Spier order after a year or so off of buying work clothes.

Has customer service gotten better? Anyone have tips on how to get a response? i never order stuff I may have to return because these guys just never seem to answer my emails. I want to dial in my size for pants and shirts, which means I’d want to order a few items and ultimately return some of it. Comparing slim to contemp, the kind of stuff you want to try IRL vs measure online.

They just flat out ignored an email I sent them last week, and seemingly ignored my follow up request.

It’s deeply frustrating; I’ve thought about flying up to Toronto to get fitted for MTO but I’m not confident they’d be fun to work with given how bad their CS has been for a while now. I stopped buying suits because I need a trouser swap and they just don’t respond in time before stuff sells out.

Do I just need to call them? Is just this just what we put up with for affordable ‘nice’ clothing? Did I get myself blacklisted somehow? I have a BUNCH of Spier suits and sportscoats over the years, you’d think it would give me some sort of street cred with them.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
S/O to the Minnis charcoal sharkskin that dropped FW ‘22. Copped a couple months ago. Have an event to attend in a few weeks, and soon getting it tailored. I’ve got the slickest black punch toe caps to pair with it, too. Yes, boring, but elegant nonetheless.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
S/O to the Minnis charcoal sharkskin that dropped FW ‘22. Copped a couple months ago. Have an event to attend in a few weeks, and soon getting it tailored. I’ve got the slickest black punch toe caps to pair with it, too. Yes, boring, but elegant nonetheless.
You won't be disappointed. I had it made MTO last year. It's a solid formal choice. It punches above its weight drape wise.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, went in the store to return and purchase some items I got online.

@Rassul-3D Is correct that the Donegal cardigan fits one size smaller than the regular shawl cardigan.

I was tempted to purchase more items but the frugal in me prevailed. I briefly tried on some times. I have to say the chocolate suede bomber jacket is really nice and thankful it was not in my size.

I'll try to some some pics of my pickups once I get it back from the tailor

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, went in the store to return and purchase some items I got online.

@Rassul-3D Is correct that the Donegal cardigan fits one size smaller than the regular shawl cardigan.

I was tempted to purchase more items but the frugal in me prevailed. I briefly tried on some times. I have to say the chocolate suede bomber jacket is really nice and thankful it was not in my size.

I'll try to some some pics of my pickups once I get it back from the tailor
Patiently waiting until the spring to purchase the medium brown suede trucker jacket lol

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herringbone Gone Wild...

20230206_214150.jpg

20230206_215223.jpg

20230206_215034.jpg

20230206_215301.jpg

Addressing The Other Forum;

The Shirt Selection
It's True, But I Wasn't Going Too Iron/Press A Shirt (White/Powder Blu) At 10:30 Last Night, Just To Show-Off An (ugly) Tie. It's Funny, By The Time I Got Home With It, I'd Convinced Myself I Could Make It Work, The Tie, Not The Combo. I Haven't And I Won't Be Going Out In This Shirt, I Hate It, Steel Blue and It A Horrible Fit (boglioli 16 1/2 - 41) More Like A 42, Thanks, The Jacket Needs Tailoring, Basting Still In Place, Lapel, Sleeves and Vents, I was Back And Forth On 42/44, I Agree 100%, Thanks For The Compliments And The Thumbs Up... :cool:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads