• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

classicoutfits

Reaction score
On the topic of sizing inconsistencies - I love my current chunky shawl collar cardigan and ordered another recently in the same size of large (6’3” 190 & 43L). Brown is from FW20 and blue donegal is FW22. Nowhere near comparable and not sure sizing up just one size will be enough. Very disappointing.

View attachment 1888273 View attachment 1888275

you are right, I don't think sizing up will solve it, looks you need 1-2 inch extra length? they quote 0.7 inch diff between L and XL

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for the donegal cardigans you have to size up. i do wish i didn't have to do multiple returns to find that out.
For what it's worth, I have tried the shawl (regular) Cardigan from every year and they all fit the same. Not sure why the Donegal is any different. I'll be popping in store tomorrow but the Donegal Cardigan is out of price range anyway.

Rassul-3D

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have tried the shawl (regular) Cardigan from every year and they all fit the same. Not sure why the Donegal is any different. I'll be popping in store tomorrow but the Donegal Cardigan is out of price range anyway.
Yes, for last 2 years i tried them, the sizing has been consistent for the chunky cardigan. I find this year the regular chunky cardigans are slightly more roomier though. The donegal cardigans are running a full size smaller in my opinion. They are nice looking but they pill like crazy.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a great picture-taker, but I thought I'd snap one of the Deep V-Neck, since folks have asked about it before.

Couple things:

1) Sizing is like the other merino sweaters...small. I wear an XL in all the merino, even though SM indicates that L=42 (my SC size). Not sure why they do this, as it creates confusion. I'm a L in other street-wear/mall brands, etc. For reference: I'm 6'1" ~200lbs ~35-36 natural waist. I made my sizing decision based on the measurements of the garment.

2) This merino is much thicker than the turtlenecks and polos.

3) The V is deeper than the SM pics suggest (which I like). Overall, the sweater is a bit trimmer than I expected (notably in the sleeves) but I like the fit. Definitely cropped in the body, which the picture doesn't quite convey.

Shown with SM 2-ply OCBD in Slim and Natalino flannel trousers.

View attachment 1887653

That's Deep Baby, That's Deep! :bounce2::bounce2::bounce2:I Love it...

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of sizing inconsistencies - I love my current chunky shawl collar cardigan and ordered another recently in the same size of large (6’3” 190 & 43L). Brown is from FW20 and blue donegal is FW22. Nowhere near comparable and not sure sizing up just one size will be enough. Very disappointing.

View attachment 1888273 View attachment 1888275
I wonder if @spiermackay or @SpierTeam will make another appearance in the thread, without us needing to ask them, to address the sizing inconsistencies

Rhodia

Reaction score
I tried this year's Deep V but it was noticeably slimmer in the arms and body than the previous year's version (Size M on both). Whilst the depth of the V has been made deeper (perhaps to emulate Rubato's version which I also own), the S&M version looked quite weird in comparison (slim body, slim arms, which combined with the deeper V just looked unbalanced), it also sat weirdly on the shoulders causing the V to flare out like a U. I sold it. Maybe I got a bad one, or maybe I should have sized up?

I much prefer the first iteration from FW21, mine was a fuller fit (not quite as boxy as Rubato), but overall it had better balance than the FW22 version.
Thanks for the insight. I'll be watching the fit going forward. FW21 sounds preferable. No issues for me with the V-Neck flaring, but I agree the arms are trimmer than expected. I wonder if the weight of the knit, which I find quite heavy, factored into their decision to trim it down.

This sweater could use a Spring/Summer version. A silk-cotton blend, perhaps, and a slightly more relaxed cut akin to the FW21.

Rhodia

Reaction score
I think a deep V like this would benefit from another button undone. However, I understand that the placement of the shirt buttons sometimes makes this difficult, i.e. falling between too closed and too open
I considered that. But then I wasn't sure given the sweater is heavy and I'm wearing a OCBD!

Hence my suggestion for a Spring/Summer version of the Deep V. Could wear it with a light cotton or linen sportshirt open at the neck.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great fit, and great bag. Vermillea Pelle?
Just a basic Filson.

Needle cord shirt, field jacket, deep V and brown herringbone from this season:

EDDE0861-D3EA-474D-B59F-2BF94F4C97EE.jpeg

I’m still on the fence about the fit of the sweater. It is on the trim side, but I like the length and am afraid if I size up it will be too big.

E35D99BC-CB90-4812-95EB-149C453E53C5.jpeg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a basic Filson.

Needle cord shirt, field jacket, deep V and brown herringbone from this season:

View attachment 1888637

I’m still on the fence about the fit of the sweater. It is on the trim side, but I like the length and am afraid if I size up it will be too big.

View attachment 1888635
Nice photos! I am not sure about the gaps at the sides of the sweater collar but maybe the sweater neck can be adjusted to fit more closely?

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1888635

The V looks very wide/open which combined with the close fit to the body looks a bit feminine. Try pulling the sweater down so the top of the V closes up the gap between the shirt collar.

Here's mine from the 2021 season, sleeves are still trimmer than I'd like but proportionally, I find the rest OK.
SmartSelect_20230204-180027_Instagram.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads