• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zurich64

Reaction score
the relatively narrower shoulder is what got me into sm. I have narrow shoulders and could never find jackets that fit off the rack, so I was getting all customs made to measure things. What are the companies you referred to? Suit supply has 17.5, and proper cloth has 17.8. Any other suggestions for <18?
I can confirm Cavour has narrower shoulders than SM (the difference is about 0.4 inch), but both SM and Cavour seem to work fine for me.

Rhodia

Reaction score
Not a great picture-taker, but I thought I'd snap one of the Deep V-Neck, since folks have asked about it before.

Couple things:

1) Sizing is like the other merino sweaters...small. I wear an XL in all the merino, even though SM indicates that L=42 (my SC size). Not sure why they do this, as it creates confusion. I'm a L in other street-wear/mall brands, etc. For reference: I'm 6'1" ~200lbs ~35-36 natural waist. I made my sizing decision based on the measurements of the garment.

2) This merino is much thicker than the turtlenecks and polos.

3) The V is deeper than the SM pics suggest (which I like). Overall, the sweater is a bit trimmer than I expected (notably in the sleeves) but I like the fit. Definitely cropped in the body, which the picture doesn't quite convey.

Shown with SM 2-ply OCBD in Slim and Natalino flannel trousers.

V Neck 2.jpg

JayDee90

Reaction score
Not a great picture-taker, but I thought I'd snap one of the Deep V-Neck, since folks have asked about it before.

Couple things:

1) Sizing is like the other merino sweaters...small. I wear an XL in all the merino, even though SM indicates that L=42 (my SC size). Not sure why they do this, as it creates confusion. I'm a L in other street-wear/mall brands, etc. For reference: I'm 6'1" ~200lbs ~35-36 natural waist. I made my sizing decision based on the measurements of the garment.

3) The V is deeper than the SM pics suggest (which I like). Overall, the sweater is a bit trimmer than I expected (notably in the sleeves) but I like the fit. Definitely cropped in the body, which the picture doesn't quite convey.

View attachment 1887653
I think a deep V like this would benefit from another button undone. However, I understand that the placement of the shirt buttons sometimes makes this difficult, i.e. falling between too closed and too open

reidrothchild

Reaction score
does anyone know if the cotton polos (long and short sleeve) are preshrunk? And how much shrinking to expect?
I have two short sleeve and two long sleeve; all four have shrunk significantly from cold wash and laying flat to dry. The shortsleeve cotton sweater polos are the only ones from Spier that haven't shrunken significantly after a few washes--they shrunk a little, but within the normal range. I'd recommend sizing up at least one size from your normal Spier size (and your normal Spier size should probably be one up from your size in other brands) to account for shrinkage. My normal Spier size for casual tops is XXL (I'm 6'0, 210 lbs) so I just avoid their regular cotton polos.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Couple things:

View attachment 1887653

I tried this year's Deep V but it was noticeably slimmer in the arms and body than the previous year's version (Size M on both). Whilst the depth of the V has been made deeper (perhaps to emulate Rubato's version which I also own), the S&M version looked quite weird in comparison (slim body, slim arms, which combined with the deeper V just looked unbalanced), it also sat weirdly on the shoulders causing the V to flare out like a U. I sold it. Maybe I got a bad one, or maybe I should have sized up?

I much prefer the first iteration from FW21, mine was a fuller fit (not quite as boxy as Rubato), but overall it had better balance than the FW22 version.

Last edited:

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I sized-down on the deep V based on recommendations in this thread. The arm and body length is good (thigh the arms are pretty tight) but the shoulders feel a little small.

7347F117-E08B-435E-B001-8968A19D6D70.jpeg

Imperatores

Reaction score
Are these the first regular rise trousers with pleats they've ever done?

I sized-down on the deep V based on recommendations in this thread. The arm and body length is good (thigh the arms are pretty tight) but the shoulders feel a little small.

View attachment 1887977
Looks like the fit has changed considerably since the first iteration (as confirmed by @dapperclassic as well). That's a shame. The first iteration were a bit looser at the waist than I'd like, but were excellent in almost every other way. Seems like they've gone too far in the other direction with these ones and made them too tight/small. And added the incredibly dumb turnback cuffs for some reason...

I think it's worth returning it and getting one size up, based on this pic.

JTrent82

Reaction score
I haven't tried out the v-necks, but I found the sleeves on this year's [light merino] cardigans to be far too tight as well.

Last edited:

classicoutfits

Reaction score
I bought regular crew neck in size medium which is my normal size. Agree sleeves too tight and a bit short, I am 6 2. But also very slim in the waist area. I sized up on the cardigan and worked better.

quigleysr

Reaction score
On the topic of sizing inconsistencies - I love my current chunky shawl collar cardigan and ordered another recently in the same size of large (6’3” 190 & 43L). Brown is from FW20 and blue donegal is FW22. Nowhere near comparable and not sure sizing up just one size will be enough. Very disappointing.

D61F4B4B-1CEF-4498-BBA7-B24AD3DA308C.jpeg
4DB1F0B2-1A00-4661-9B30-A834520FB9E9.jpeg

chiggyv

Reaction score
On the topic of sizing inconsistencies - I love my current chunky shawl collar cardigan and ordered another recently in the same size of large (6’3” 190 & 43L). Brown is from FW20 and blue donegal is FW22. Nowhere near comparable and not sure sizing up just one size will be enough. Very disappointing.

View attachment 1888273 View attachment 1888275

Thanks for posting. Was about to make the same purchase and this saved me the headache of a return.

They've got to get the sizing sorted. As long as this is an issue the new return fees will prevent me from diving in on purchases.

Rassul-3D

Reaction score

View attachment 1888273 View attachment 1888275
for the donegal cardigans you have to size up. i do wish i didn't have to do multiple returns to find that out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads