• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Captain Save-A-Bro @DonRaphael do you have any insights on the upcoming S/S tailoring lineup?

Sorry mate, I don't unfortunately. I'm rarely interested in SS jackets/trousers so I haven't taken interest in inquiring even. I try to stick to high twist suits for SS. As a matter of fact, the only odd jackets I have for SS are all navy. The brown houndstooth they've advertised on IG might be my first SS odd jacket however. It looks good. Just not sure if the colour/pattern is better suited for FW though.

FW23 should be a lot of fun however. Many surprises coming if everything comes to fruition.

Aly.B

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have any sizing/fit advice for S&M’s english cut suits? I wear a 52/42 in Giorgio Armani, Zegna, RLPL. What size should I take in their english cut suits? Also, how slim are the pants? I have muscular calves, so anything too slim will turn into a jogger. Appreciate any advice/suggestions. Thank you.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry mate, I don't unfortunately. I'm rarely interested in SS jackets/trousers so I haven't taken interest in inquiring even. I try to stick to high twist suits for SS. As a matter of fact, the only odd jackets I have for SS are all navy. The brown houndstooth they've advertised on IG might be my first SS odd jacket however. It looks good. Just not sure if the colour/pattern is better suited for FW though.

FW23 should be a lot of fun however. Many surprises coming if everything comes to fruition.
As you know, navy is no issue to me haha. I'm still holding out hope they do some high twist suits with the styling I want.
I do think that houndstooth design is best suited to FW, but I'd think it would make for a very nice sober summer look with beige/tan trousers.

A12321

Reaction score
As you know, navy is no issue to me haha. I'm still holding out hope they do some high twist suits with the styling I want.
I do think that houndstooth design is best suited to FW, but I'd think it would make for a very nice sober summer look with beige/tan trousers.
Same here. Looking for a nice navy in neo-cut with patch pockets.

Sinbios

Reaction score
Like SuaveStyle said, the faux fur is actually very nice. However, just note that I don't have a reference to compare it to and I am not familiar with other brand's faux fur. Given that, I can say it's incredibly soft and, while it does shed, it has been manageable. As SuaveStyle also pointed out, the rest of the hood is so well insulated with down feathers that the fur doesn't provide a whole lot of needed insulation, so I honestly haven't noticed the insulating properties. The only problem is that, on the classic parkas, the fur is comically large. I don't think it has properly placed button to hold it into a more appealing head shape. Regardless, don't let the faux dissuade you.
Does the hood not have a wire to adjust the shape? That's disappointing, I'll probably hold out for the other parka I'm eyeing then.

espen

Reaction score
Won’t the “surprise” for next FW just be a bunch of casentino pieces? Lines up with higher end makers putting that stuff out, people complaining about pricing, then a highly similar piece from S&M comes out a full year or two later? Feels like a rinse and repeat process at this point.

Maybe throw in some shearling coats too…

classicoutfits

Reaction score

not big fan of linen? I also feel like dark brown is FW color, but I am very tempted to pick that sport coat up :/

taargus_taargus

Reaction score
Does the hood not have a wire to adjust the shape? That's disappointing, I'll probably hold out for the other parka I'm eyeing then.
It does have the draw strings, but I honestly cannot figure out how to keep the shape held in place when I pull them, unlike, say, a hoodie. If someone else knows more than I do then feel free to let me know. Regardless, it's still the best coat that I own and have no regrets.

JTrent82

Reaction score
I'm really loving the colors in the new run of garment dyed OCBDs, but these stark white shell buttons are no good imo. I had the same problem with the needlecords. I really wish they'd start using acrylic ivory buttons on some of their casual shirts. I understand shell buttons are more premium but that high contrast white just ruins these shirts for me.

edit: Just ordered some horn buttons to replace the white shell for the needlecords and some corozo for the OCBDs. I'll post before and after pics.

Last edited:

ptfly

Reaction score
I'm really loving the colors in the new run of garment dyed OCBDs, but these stark white shell buttons are no good imo. I had the same problem with the needlecords. I really wish they'd start using acrylic ivory buttons on some of their casual shirts. I understand shell buttons are more premium but that high contrast white just ruins these shirts for me.
Non-river shell can be had in a wider color range than stark white or grey. But the price goes up per gross if ordering more variety of colors (therefore a small order discount). It is easier/cheaper to order just one color.
I can think of three (wholesale) companies that offer resin shell looks that are far cheaper than true shell (the best from a factory just outside of Milan). In the last few years they have come a long way in appearance and of course are far more impact resistant. Most have ground shell in the resin to give it the look. They are also in a wider color range.

Last edited:

JTrent82

Reaction score
Non-river shell can be had in a wider color range than stark white or grey. But the price goes up per gross if ordering more variety of colors (there for small order discount). It is easier/cheaper to order just one color.
I can think of three (wholesale) companies that offer resin shell looks that are far cheaper than true shell (the best from a factory just outside of Milan). In the last few years they have come a long way in appearance and of course are far more impact resistant. Most have ground shell in the resin to give it the look. They are also in a wider color range.
Thank you sir. It's this kind of insight I come to SF for. I just ordered some horn buttons for the needlecords and some corozo for the OCBDs but I will be experimenting with different hues of shell in the future thanks to you!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Same here. Looking for a nice navy in neo-cut with patch pockets.

This kind of design is always available come SS if I'm not mistaken. Either in Minnis fresco or Drago hopsack or Guabello hopsack or all three. I expect nothing less this SS.

not big fan of linen? I also feel like dark brown is FW color, but I am very tempted to pick that sport coat up :/

No, not a fan of linen for aesthetic reasons. I can't stand the wrinkles and the casual nature of the fabric. Purely subjective of course, and I'm aware that I'm in a minority regarding this. But I don't like linen. Especially not for suits. As for SCs, 30 % linen is the absolute maximum I can stomach, otherwise the jacket will wrinkle too much.

TonyStarks

Reaction score
Tried the off-white denim. To echo some others, two comments:
1. The color is much closer to white, than off-white.
2. High rise slim fit, in my standard waist size, fit like leggings. So if you’d like a fuller cut, go contemporary. Slim is not the way to go.

On another note, anyone having issues with items marked as part of the “Sale20” promotion not having the discount reflected when trying to check out?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads