• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rob g

Reaction score
Sizing advice : I'd like to buy a sportcoat from Spier but being in Europe I want to make sure the fit is right (or try at least). I have a size 50 sportcoat from Cavour (chest is OK but anything slimmer would be restrictive, but I had to take the waist in), and a size 52 Havana sportcoat from SS (a bit roomier than the Cavour jacket, but size 50 was a bit tight in the chest and the front of the shoulders). So, I was planning to pull the trigger to a size 42 slim sportcoat from S&M, but it would be helpful to have some advice.
I'm not familiar with Cavour, but I wear 40R slim in S&M and 40R slim in SS Havana and the fit is very similar IMO.

Mr. Spectre

Reaction score
Would someone who owns an S&M corduroy field jacket mind posting some pics wearing it (a few words on your impressions of the item would be great too)? The lower pockets look a little like saddle bags on the website so I'm curious to see how they look in the wild.
Thank you in advance!
There is a review of it on YT. Here's the link

zurich64

Reaction score
Yes, as I am based in Europe I see American sizing on the S&M website and European (or whatever it is called) sizing on the other two. So I guess 40 US = 50 EU.
Thanks for your input. So based on what you said 42R slim should be OK. Another comparison to Cavour would be great.
Cavour fits like SM regular contemporary but has smaller shoulders. SS Lazio /la Spalla fits similar.
SM slim fits a bit tighter than Cavour in both chest and waist.
Cavour jackets have full canvas, with SM it is generally half canvas, and generally use heavier canvas than Cavour or higher end makes of SS.
SM neo cut has wider lapels than Cavour but has soft shoulders like Cavour. Regular SM jackets have noticeably heavier construction in shoulders.
SM neo jackets can come quarter lining while Cavour jackets have only half or full lining.
Shipping: with Cavour I get my order in 2-3 days, with SM it is 2-3 weeks.

Sinbios

Reaction score
I bought this S&M Parka a short while back and have been now out in Park City, Utah for a few days and able to put it to the test.
Result is that with one thin wool layer beneath it has kept me nice and warm in temps ranging from
daytime highs around 28F to night time lows in the single digits and snowing.

View attachment 1884114 View attachment 1884115
Question about the parka - does the fur trim on the hood attach with a zipper or snaps?

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased any of their dark rinse jeans? If so please share your thoughts and pics if possible.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased any of their dark rinse jeans? If so please share your thoughts and pics if possible.
Looser in the waist compared to the others due to not being formally washed I believe. I would say about 0.5-1 size bigger in the waist, with the rest of it fitting like the proper size according to the size charts. Good colour and construction.

bonbnoz

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting some sweaters, how does the sweaters compare to brands like Harley of Scotland and Howlin?

JTrent82

Reaction score
I'm hoping they bring back the Guabello herringbone or something similar this season.

1675059356005.png

Rhodia

Reaction score
Cavour fits like SM regular contemporary but has smaller shoulders. SS Lazio /la Spalla fits similar.
SM slim fits a bit tighter than Cavour in both chest and waist.
Cavour jackets have full canvas, with SM it is generally half canvas, and generally use heavier canvas than Cavour or higher end makes of SS.
SM neo cut has wider lapels than Cavour but has soft shoulders like Cavour. Regular SM jackets have noticeably heavier construction in shoulders.
SM neo jackets can come quarter lining while Cavour jackets have only half or full lining.
Shipping: with Cavour I get my order in 2-3 days, with SM it is 2-3 weeks.

Very helpful. Thank you.

One minor note: Some of the non-Neo jackets are also quarter lined, with a soft, unstructured shoulder.

classicoutfits

Reaction score
Since I was introduced to SM, I received many items and I love their design, fit and fabric quality. But the size variation is a real problem. Does all companies have that? I don’t think… one of my favorite sport coat came almost a full inch short in length which I kept because it was the only left. I also bought shorts that came a full size smaller in the waist which is still within their 0.5+/- inch on half waist standards. I did size down by 1 (so they fit snug which isn’t unusual for me as I have several pants in that size) but with the standard variation, they didn’t fit at all.
To send them back, it will cost more than 50% of their price. Did they clarify the return cost?
I feel they have to be more consistent with their sizing otherwise it’s going to be risky to buy :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads