• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Any sizing advice on the Merino Turtlenecks? I'm 5'9" 160lbs, 38R (contemporary). Typically wear a medium in most brands like J Crew.

Oatmeal - Turtleneck Sweater | SPIER & MACKAY (spierandmackay.com)

You and I are not the same build - at my current weight I fit nicely into a 44L (contemporary) from S&M. But I just received the burgundy version of that merino turtleneck (which I think is really nice BTW).

I must say that I may be one of the few here who has found the S&M sizing charts to be pretty much dead on for every single item I have ever ordered from S&M. When I looked at the sizing charts for this turtleneck, I had my doubts. The chart for this particular product put me at XXL. I should be a bit more specific: I rely on the actual measurements - and I know mine. I don't rely on the summary sizing. In this case, S&M called their XL a "44"...BUT...they state that the XL has a 44.1" chest. So that is not really a 44...unless you wear your clothes literally skin tight. The chest size listed for the XXL was the right actual chest measurement for how I want a sweater. But I pretty much never take XXL across all the clothing I buy from all brands...usually either an L for trim fit or an XL for a roomier fit.

So I trusted the size chart and ordered XXL...and it fits perfectly - exactly how the measurements from S&M indicated it would fit. So at least based on my experience: (a) the measurements in the sizing chart for this particular sweater were spot on, and (b) I had to size up from my usual clothing sizing to get my fit.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kansai22

Reaction score
Does anybody know why S&M is releasing so many trousers with side tabs and no belt loops? Are belts going out of style or something?

Was a bit disappointed to buy a burgundy suit recently that showed belt loops in the pictures and arrived with only side tabs. Had to pay my tailor $20 to make some out of the extra trouser fabric when I got them hemmed. As someone who prefers to wear belts I wish that there was an option or not so many of the newer trousers came with side tabs only.

There are a number of reasons belts are not preferred. Belts break up the clean lines of your outfit by putting a strange horizontal line across your body. It can be hard to match up the colors of your belt with your outfit. Belts can cause your pants to bunch u strangely. Your pants fitting properly with side adjusters or adding braces to your pants are a better option.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
There are a number of reasons belts are not preferred. Belts break up the clean lines of your outfit by putting a strange horizontal line across your body. It can be hard to match up the colors of your belt with your outfit. Belts can cause your pants to bunch u strangely. Your pants fitting properly with side adjusters or adding braces to your pants are a better option.

I would also add that in my view belts are not as good with high rise trousers. A lot better with low-to-mid-rise...both functionally and visually. Belts are better at holding your pants above your hips than at holding your pants at your true waist.

With the trend towards high rise, you see a related trend towards side tabs, I think (and suspenders are great at holding high rise pants where they should sit). I've never done a detailed survey of this, but I suspect that S&M has more trousers with belt loops in their non-high-rise offerings.

ElliotG

Reaction score
This is a helpful comparison. I think VBC has two mid-grey options: the darker one you have pictured here (504.801/4) and a lighter one (504.801/3). The Minnis looks to be in the middle, maybe closer to VBC's lighter version of mid-grey.
I should clarify -- I'm sure VBC has a number of different options. I think the "standard" range of 12 oz. flannels includes a light grey, the two versions of mid-grey, and then a charcoal. I can't get the light grey to come up on VBC's site though.

You are correct. There are two mid-grey options in VBC's online catalog. It seems Spier was only able to get the darker option this year (the "/4") The charcoal flannel on offer is the "/6". I would have preferred the "/3" mid-grey, but I'm happy with the ones Spier produced and I think even the darker mid-grey is very versatile

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think belts vs side tabs remains firmly in the area of personal preference. This reads as a little dogmatic to me. IMO side adjusters work better with suits and belts work better with more casual trousers. If side adjusters were better in all outfits (as your post suggests) then why not side tabs with jeans? I personally prefer belts with odd jackets but recognize that side tabs are fine too. I don't wear trousers with side adjusters without a jacket.

Don't really buy the "belts have to match your outfit" argument; don't think belts need to be an exact match for shoes, for example. If your trousers fit properly there shouldn't be bunching with a belt. Whether your trousers fit properly is a function of the cut of the trousers, not whether they are held up by a belt or by side tabs.

Last edited:

Blondie87

Reaction score
Trying that too. I’m being told the MTO process is being revamped… I really just wanna place a few orders. Never ran into a situation where it was this hard to give someone my money lol

Just curious, do you know what is being changed/ updated with the MTO process?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious, do you know what is being changed/ updated with the MTO process?
Standardising the ordering process. Deleting overlapping fabrics between mills and adding new fabrics. As things are now, if you want to order a fabric that isn't available on the site, you have to place the order through mail which is a manual process that increases risks and costs. Sometimes, the MTO team is able to add the fabric to the MTO section for you to order, but that's time consuming and require customers to wait.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moon Black and Red from two years ago

8A154343-906C-46D4-BEBC-B2C7CC77D2E6.jpeg
4F77AA40-B671-4777-B9C6-C1DABDE9E3D6.jpeg
871048DA-069F-4613-8F05-974129CED0C9.jpeg

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score

blewnote1

Reaction score
Curious to know anyone's success rate in slimming a sport coat from the chest to the waist. Bought the linen POW in a 42L, when I'm more like a 40L, in hopes of maintaining some volume in the chest, but understanding I need to taper the waist. Want to try to achieve some sort of slouchiness with the jacket. Doesn't seem crazy?

It's pretty easy to slim the waist in a jacket.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holiday party for work. Mint flannel sportcoat from a few years ago. Surprised the regular cut still works for me. Light grey flannel trews by Spier. I’m aware the transition from top to bottom is a little jarring, but oh well. Had this outfit on with leather pebble grain Belgians, which didn’t quite work. Black suede Belgians would’ve set this off perfectly. Any sub $200 suggestions, just hit me.
1670382434696.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads