• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jlee80

Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with Spier&Mackay Ties?

Looking at a couple of them and curious how the construction is. I prefer lightweight ties and usually buy ties from Viola Milano, Shibumi, Paolo Albizatti etc.

Thanks for the info!
I have 3 of their ties...I like them a lot. Tie well, no fraying...I think you'll be happy if you pick some up.

Smarter_than_Casual

Reaction score
How heavy/thick is the interlining?
I remember a couple of Suitsupply ties that were way to thick and felt very stiff

JayDee90

Reaction score
I tihnk th
How heavy/thick is the interlining?
I remember a couple of Suitsupply ties that were way to thick and felt very stiff
I think they have two lines/qualities of ties right? I assume you are referencing the more premium, untipped, hand-rolled variety?

bossman08

Reaction score
Interested in purchasing the navy overcoat. Anyone have any thoughts on how Spier's overcoat compares to the pure wool Vicenza overcoat from SuitSupply?

I like the fit/silluette of the SuitSupply overcoat.....does the Spier version have a similar slim fit or is it much roomier? Also, as another poster mentioned previously, the button stance appears maybe a tad high on the Spier overcoat?...could be me though.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with Spier&Mackay Ties?

Looking at a couple of them and curious how the construction is. I prefer lightweight ties and usually buy ties from Viola Milano, Shibumi, Paolo Albizatti etc.

Thanks for the info!

I believe I've had bespoke ties made by the same company that makes these for Spier, they're constructed to a high standard with appropriately matched interlinings for good drape and knots. The Spier price is excellent value, you'd pay a lot more if you were to make the same ties in these fabrics direct from the same maker.

The ties I had are not quite at Shibumi level, but still very well constructed and finished.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New brown coverts, quickly cuffed them last night - still need to take the waist in when I have a moment, but you get the idea...

20221128_191428.jpg

DSC07047.jpg

DSC07085.jpg

DSC07109.jpg

DSC07096.jpg

St1X

Reaction score
Interested in purchasing the navy overcoat. Anyone have any thoughts on how Spier's overcoat compares to the pure wool Vicenza overcoat from SuitSupply?

I like the fit/silluette of the SuitSupply overcoat.....does the Spier version have a similar slim fit or is it much roomier? Also, as another poster mentioned previously, the button stance appears maybe a tad high on the Spier overcoat?...could be me though.
If you are talking about single-breasted overcoats than both are skinny and I'd suggest you to size up.
I have both overcoats in front of me and I'd say that the button stance on Spier might be max 1cm higher, but I am comparing 36R Vicenza vs 38S Spier

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you say the linen fits? With the few linen products I’ve had from spier, they tend to be cut large (ie obcd, trousers), so I wonder if I should go from a contemporary to slim fit? Thanks.
I took my usual contemporary 40R, the jacket is very slightly longer to compensate for wrinkling, it feels about the same as normal in the chest and waist however I would always prefer more room on a piece like this because linen has no give unlike wool.

JayDee90

Reaction score
New brown coverts, quickly cuffed them last night - still need to take the waist in when I have a moment, but you get the idea...

View attachment 1861812
View attachment 1861811
View attachment 1861810
View attachment 1861809
View attachment 1861813
I think this is my favorite shade in the coverts, especially for those who find the stone a little too daring in an office setting. The variation is great and it is just light enough, just gray enough to be a versatile addition. I find the not-so- different-in-shade mid brown high twist trousers (somewhat char-brown) fill a similar role in the warmer months.

I believe I've had bespoke ties made by the same company that makes these for Spier, they're constructed to a high standard with appropriately matched interlinings for good drape and knots. The Spier price is excellent value, you'd pay a lot more if you were to make the same ties in these fabrics direct from the same maker.

The ties I had are not quite at Shibumi level, but still very well constructed and finished.
Take @dapperclassic 's advice. This fellow knows his ties!

Colrais

Reaction score
I rather like the soft, rustic comfort of a woolen flannel. I know dieworkwear's recommended them but can either covert or cavalry twill compare? Covert in particular seems a little... reflective and maybe stiff from the pics.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rather like the soft, rustic comfort of a woolen flannel. I know dieworkwear's recommended them but can either covert or cavalry twill compare? Covert in particular seems a little... reflective and maybe stiff from the pics.
Not sure what you are expecting or asking. Covert and cavalry twill are different from woolen flannel because...they are different fabrics. You can pair all three with a sportcoat. Covert cloth and cavalry twill will hold a crease better than most woolen flannels and their texture is smoother, so they read as a little more formal than woolen flannel. Covert is probably less formal than cavalry twill IMO as it tends to be more mottled in color. I wouldn't call covert stiff at all, at least not the Dugdale covert cloth that I've handled. Neither is going to be as warm as flannel at the same weight, which might be a plus or a minus depending on your climate. I'd try cavalry first if you're not sure; it is the safer/more conservative of the two.

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As @breakaway01 said, neither is going to be stiff. Covert and cav twill will hold a crease better than flannels, and are just slightly less casual than flannels, but still pretty casual on the spectrum of cloths (IMHO), perfect for pairing with fall/winter sport coats. I find my coverts can be worn just a bit longer into spring (and a bit earlier in the fall) than flannels... YMMV

Here's a bit more if you want to read:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics