• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI I received my grey herringbone tweed. No photos for the moment, but the pocket on a 38S lines up exactly with my shirt pocket (a recent Brooks Brothers OCBD). It seems fine to me.

One other thing I will say is that it is not a super heavy-weight or fluffy tweed, like this one (the brown guncheck, which I also have). I bought the grey herringbone to replace a similar 10-year old Brooks Brothers jacket that's grown too small, and Spier's fabric is maybe 60% of the weight. The fact that it is unlined and lighter probably makes it a bit more versatile, but it feels less bulletproof.

Would you be able to measure from the shoulder seam to the top of the pocket please (align the tape measure to the right seam of the pocket)

apShepard

Reaction score
Do sportcoats nowadays come witouth the sleeve buttons sewed on?

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Zoomer girl at checkout counter: "Hey I really like your outfit! It has that whole Dark Academia vibe."
Me (confused): "I don't know what that means."
Zoomer: "Wow, because you're really nailing it."

😂

This was actually the basis for Walker Slater's entire marketing campaign a year ago. IIRC I think this means it looks like you just got tenure at Miskatonic University (and that she's hot for teacher, or whatever the Lovecraftian version of that is).

JTrent82

Reaction score
This was actually the basis for Walker Slater's entire marketing campaign a year ago. IIRC I think this means it looks like you just got tenure at Miskatonic University (and that she's hot for teacher, or whatever the Lovecraftian version of that is).
Still don't know what she was talking about, but I got a date! It got a little weird at the end though.
1665069028242.png

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do sportcoats nowadays come witouth the sleeve buttons sewed on?
Full canvas, no. Regular, half-canvas yes. I believe that's the line of demarcation, but others might be able to speak to additional nuances.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has my interest. I think they offered something similar last season? I can't recall or keep up to be honest.
1665072145663.png

nsgmd

Reaction score
Is there a way to specify American sack cut on the MTO program? Or is that option still not available? Thanks.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if S&M typically have some sort of Canadian Thanksgiving sale or is it typically only BF/CM?

Imperatores

Reaction score
When or if anyone gets their hands on this army tweed field jacket, I'd love to know what the cloth is like. It's apparently a beefy 510 gsm, which is quite appealing to me. Hopefully it's not too rough given the complete lack of lining. I really wish that at least the FW field jackets were fully lined. Especially now that they're offering so many different overshirts as well, where a lack of lining seems a lot more appropriate.

SpierAndMackayFW22_Di Pray - Army Tweed Flannel - Field Jacket-4-7471-110 (3).jpg

sid11111

Reaction score
This is my point though, just because his is more “classic” why is it the default proper? Because you or the posse here think so?

this has all been very enlightening. Used to be a thread of good gents Before it became a thread of experts. Thanks for the lesson guys. 😒

Used to be a good thread before we got insecure guys who don't know when to take an L and stfu.

ptfly

Reaction score
When or if anyone gets their hands on this army tweed field jacket, I'd love to know what the cloth is like. It's apparently a beefy 510 gsm, which is quite appealing to me. Hopefully it's not too rough given the complete lack of lining. I really wish that at least the FW field jackets were fully lined. Especially now that they're offering so many different overshirts as well, where a lack of lining seems a lot more appropriate.

View attachment 1840970
I was interested in this one as well. Then I remembered I ordered a brown herringbone version in this cut last year. I returned it quickly because it really needed sleeve and partial body lining (for ease of wear, stability, comfort and safety of your shirt/sweater. The interior functioned as velcro.

Imperatores

Reaction score
I was interested in this one as well. Then I remembered I ordered a brown herringbone version in this cut last year. I returned it quickly because it really needed sleeve and partial body lining (for ease of wear, stability, comfort and safety of your shirt/sweater. The interior functioned as velcro.

Yes, I had exactly the same experience with the Abraham Moon tweeds last year. Just WAY too rough to wear with anything less than two (substantial) layers underneath, one of which had to be collared to avoid having the tweed rubbing against your neck. Impractical to the point of being silly. I'm hoping this Di Pray tweed is a lot softer, but I won't take the chance until people post some hands-on experiences here.

jclonin7

Reaction score
I can't answer your questions, but I wanted to compliment the end result. Great looking jacket! It's a bit shorter than ideal, but other than that the fit looks solid and compliments your build nicely. I really like how the Italian silhouette combines and contrasts with some of the more rugged style details. I bet it looks awesome with a light wash denim shirt and some olive cords.
Indeed with this light wash chambray the tweed really pops.

Attachments

• IMG-8070.jpg
    IMG-8070.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 163

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads